Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > should i get 2x250GB HD, or 1x500GB for my dual 2.7ghz?

should i get 2x250GB HD, or 1x500GB for my dual 2.7ghz?
nycdunz
Senior User
May 26, 2006, 09:08 PM

my 250gb that came with my Dual 2.7ghz G5, seems to have been giving me problems, overlapping extents and etc, can't even fix it with disk utility or fsck, so now Im in the market to buy a new HD

which set up would you guys think is better? having 2x250GB HD or 1x500GB?

any advantages over one or the other?

was looking at the Western Digitals and the Seagate brands, both around the same price, not sure which brand to get. the one i current have now is a western digital... WDC 2500J something...

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
May 26, 2006, 10:06 PM

personally, i would get the 1 500 gig, it will allow you to later get another hard drive if possible. hopefully you can get the seagate hard drive, IMHO, wds are crud compared to seagates. i've had 2 or 3 wds fail on me, and the 4 seagate drives i have have been very good "little troopers" i say get the 1 500 gig drive and upgrade later if you want. have fun with this endovour, it will be very fun.

Brass

reader50
Administrator
May 26, 2006, 10:56 PM

'overlapping extents' is not a hardware problem. It's a glitch in the drive's directory tree (it actually means two or more files are laying claim to some of the same blocks). This can be fixed with DiskWarrior, though at least one file will have damaged contents.

A reformat of the drive will also correct an extent overlap. So would copying both of the affected files to another folder, then deleting both the originals.

nycdunz  (op)
Senior User
May 27, 2006, 02:41 AM

i tried deleting all those overlapped files and it didnt work, i cant even boot into my desktop anymore... i also tried reformating over 12 x and reinstall os x again, it would give me an error and ask me to restart each and everytime... so i'm really beginning to think that my HD is failing which is weird... this happened out of nowhere. Sigh the weird thing is that diskutility reports the drive as being ok... but yet i cannot reinstall os x for some reason.

also i heard that getting 2x250gb would be better cause it runs and spins faster than a 1x500gb, is this true?

out of the following drives that they have here:

http://directron.com/over200gbsata.html

which one would you guys recommend?
( Last edited by nycdunz; May 27, 2006 at 02:51 AM. )

sonicularulus
Dedicated MacNNer
May 27, 2006, 03:11 AM

my recommendation will vary depending what you use your g5 for. if it is for casual use (websurfing, email, chatting, word processing), then you are one rich person who buys such a high end computer and puts it to little use (lol...jk) and i would say that just 1x250 gb drive would do..
however, if you are doing multimedia creation, i would say get two hard drives where 1 would serve as the primary drive wher eyou would install your software and all while the secondary drive would be used for everything else you work with.

as for me, i also ahev a powermac g5 and my hard drive set up consists of the standard 160gb that came with it along with a 320gb hard drive i purchased separately. as a video editor, i use the 320 drive for storing video i need to work with. in addition to that, i have an external 250 to backup my files in case i get into a situation where i would need to erase/delete some stuff i may need.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
May 27, 2006, 01:22 PM

But seriously: this is not a hardware problem. As reader50 already said, overlapping extents is simple drive corruption, and the fix is to use DiskWarrior to repair it, or to use Disk Utility to completely erase the disk.

tooki

svtcontour
Forum Regular
May 27, 2006, 02:22 PM

I'd go with two 250gig drives. At least if something ever happens, you have a spare drive while the other one is going for replacement... Does anyone really even need 500gig? How would you back up 500gigs worth of stuff?

sameer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 27, 2006, 03:58 PM

yo- im new to this place, hope its a good forum.....

any way if the price is identical then id say go on and get the 1x500

the main reason is tht u ckan upgrade it later if so be ur need

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
May 29, 2006, 06:01 PM

My recommendation, buy two 500 drives and use the one as a daily backup... or two 250 and use one as a daily backup.

It's a big waste of space until your HD fails

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 29, 2006, 06:52 PM

2X250GB drives.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

G5man
Forum Regular
May 29, 2006, 07:17 PM

I would say two drives, nothing beats having a spare so that it saves you some anger for something else versus all your data down the drain.
Mac mini 1.42 Ghz 1GB RAM 80 GB HD + 160 GB External HD

Forum Links
Forum Rules