Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Just purchased my FIRST Mac!

Just purchased my FIRST Mac!
kerisabe
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 16, 2006, 12:28 AM

Finally took the plunge tonight and purchased my first mac, a 17" MacBook Pro.

Ive got a few questions to ask tho, how to check the total storage of the HD? Cause im supposed to get the 120Gb, but it says on the Macintosh HD there is only 93.5Gb left , and I just booted this thing up! Did I get the 120 or the 100Gb HD??

pheonixash
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 16, 2006, 12:32 AM

There's a lot of software that comes pre-installed on your MacBook Pro. Tiger, iLife '06 and lots of other stuff you'll find in your Applications folder. You seem to have got a 120GB HDD.

Congrats on your first Mac! Enjoy the experience.

jaydon34
Senior User
Sep 16, 2006, 12:33 AM

dam nice purchase I want a macbook pro. The 15" glossy baby thats the way to go .
myflickr : mytwitter : twentyonethirty
17" Macbook Pro 2.6Ghz 4gb 200GB HD: 8gb Iphone 3g: Hp Mini 1000 Netbook

zerostar
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2006, 12:41 AM

control+click on the hard drive and do "get info" Capacity will tell you the total.

Good purchase! and welcome to the Mac platform.

kerisabe  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 16, 2006, 12:41 AM

Thanks for the quick responses! Yes, I got the 17 glossy screen..it's awesome,, im gonna install the adobe softwares soon.. can't wait to play around with this beautiful thing.

kyles_mac
Sep 16, 2006, 12:55 AM

Welcome to Mac. You'll never regret the switch.

cbrfanatic
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 16, 2006, 01:19 AM

def wont regret the switch. Great purchase, took the plunge and just got the best one huh, good way to go.

Crouching Donkey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 16, 2006, 03:56 AM

Hey, welcome aboard!

I remember when I got my Powerbook G4 - how excited I was about finding out about OS X features. My only regret was why I hadn't made the switch sooner!

Enjoy your MBP!
24" 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Extreme iMac | Powerbook G4 12" 1.5Ghz 1.25GB RAM 160GB HD | 4G iPod photo 40GB | 5.5G iPod 80GB | 1G nano 4GB | 2G nano 4GB | 2G shuffle 1GB

kerisabe  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 16, 2006, 07:17 AM

Guys, where is the font library? Im tryin to download a couple fonts into the library but can't find where it is.

edit: nevermind..found it
( Last edited by kerisabe; Sep 16, 2006 at 07:23 AM. )

JKT
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2006, 10:27 AM

FWIW, just double click any fonts you download and Font Book will launch and give you a preview before you choose to install them.

kerisabe  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 16, 2006, 11:28 AM

JKT thanks for the pointers.. btw, do u know where to download a focus fixer and noise fixer plug-ins for the Photoshop CS2? TIA.

kerisabe  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 16, 2006, 12:18 PM

Btw, Ive realized after a few software installs that my DVD/CD drive is DAMN loud during the installation process... it sounds trrrrrrrrrtttttttttttttttt... is that common? Plus when Im loadin the disc in.. it sounds like clunk clunk somethin is breakin inside lol.

Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 16, 2006, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by kerisabe
Btw, Ive realized after a few software installs that my DVD/CD drive is DAMN loud during the installation process... it sounds trrrrrrrrrtttttttttttttttt... is that common? Plus when Im loadin the disc in.. it sounds like clunk clunk somethin is breakin inside lol.
That happens every time I load a disc into my PowerBook, so yeah, that's common.
iMac 24" | Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HD
PowerBook G4 15" HR | 1.67GHz | 2GB RAM | 100GB HD
R.I.P 1995 Toyota Supra NA-T

kerisabe  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 16, 2006, 02:27 PM

Im so relieved to hear that .. I was expecting something worst, at least I go the Applecare.

Oh yea, I think Im gonna upgrade the memory REAL SOON! Maybe get another 1gb ram. Right now, it feels kindda slow especially when Im multitasking. Other than that.. Im really enjoying the MBP!! Lots of softwares have been installed... now the HDD is only 85Gb left (from 120Gb) and it's not even 24 hours yet since Ive purchased it.

sadpandas
Forum Regular
Sep 16, 2006, 05:54 PM

Yes yes yes! congrats on your purchase and welcome to the forum. That is a bit strange that you only have 85gb left but you said it yourself, you have installed lots of software... What types of programs have you installed?

pan
das
sad
nap
*Dual 2.8 quad core Mac Pro, 512 8800 GT, 1tb boot, 500gb audio, 340gb video, 6gb ram
*15"pb*1.67*128vm*100hd*2g ram*
*PMac*Dual 2.0GHz* 4g ram*
*3.0 p4 630* gigabyte848p775* radeon X800 Pro 256* 2g ram*

Karpfish
Forum Regular
Sep 16, 2006, 06:01 PM

if you really want to, you can reinstall OSX with the discs and choose to just install the OS or install certain other things, but not everything, or everything if you would like. It will save you lots of space, especially with a smaller HD in a laptop.

kerisabe  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 16, 2006, 07:15 PM

Actually ive only installed the Adobe Creative Suite (Collectors Edition), once i turned on the mbp, it started to download all kinds of updates and it was like ALOT!! Plus I installed a few small things like msn, and a few other stuff.

iWork. Office, Final Cut HD, and Macromedia collection is still waiting to be installed. If I install all of em with my "small" remaining HDD storage, will it cause a negative effect on the performance of the mbp? I got an external HDD (250Gb) for files. But for programs u have to install it in the mbp's HDD right?

Commodus
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2006, 12:09 PM

Actually ive only installed the Adobe Creative Suite (Collectors Edition), once i turned on the mbp, it started to download all kinds of updates and it was like ALOT!! Plus I installed a few small things like msn, and a few other stuff.

iWork. Office, Final Cut HD, and Macromedia collection is still waiting to be installed. If I install all of em with my "small" remaining HDD storage, will it cause a negative effect on the performance of the mbp? I got an external HDD (250Gb) for files. But for programs u have to install it in the mbp's HDD right?
You don't absolutely have to install to the main hard drive, but some app updaters will assume you installed in the Applications folder (mainly Apple programs).

OS X generally doesn't bog down as much as hard drive space shrinks, so don't worry about it as long as you've got about 10% of your hard drive space free for temporary files. One thing to consider about reclaiming free space: if you don't intend to use GarageBand, you can get rid of it and its very large (multi-GB) sample library. I know that Monolingual can also get rid of a lot of unneeded language files. You do have a 120GB hard drive - it's just that the software Apple preloads to keep everyone happy often takes up a lot of space. Note that no hard drive out there, Mac or Windows, will show you the capacity you see on the box even if it's empty - marketing has made virtually all companies report a gigabyte as though it were 1 billion bytes rather than 1.024 billion, so the practical reality isn't quite there.
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

cambro
Senior User
Sep 17, 2006, 12:42 PM

The first thing I do when I get a new mac is boot up from the included installation CD and do a custom install.

You can save many gigs of space by getting rid of language localizations you don't need, printer drivers you don't need, and other things like garage band demos, music loops etc.

I highly recommend that you do this if you are concerned about maximizing your HD space for other stuff.

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2006, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by cambro
The first thing I do when I get a new mac is boot up from the included installation CD and do a custom install.

You can save many gigs of space by getting rid of language localizations you don't need, printer drivers you don't need, and other things like garage band demos, music loops etc.

I highly recommend that you do this if you are concerned about maximizing your HD space for other stuff.
Excellent advice. At least 2gb of junk you will never need in there.
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

kerisabe  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 17, 2006, 11:52 PM

Thanks for the tips guys, btw just tried my external HDD, it's so friggin NOISY! ha ha ha, I think im gonna put it FAR down the table so I can't hear the fan runnning lol.

I just checked the "system info" through my Photoshop CS2, how come it shows the architecture to be G4 instead of the Core Duo? Here ill post it below :

Adobe Photoshop Version: 9.0 (9.0x196)
Operating System: Mac OS 10.4.7
System architecture: PowerPC G4 with AltiVec
Physical processor count: 1
Processor speed: 2147 MHz
Built-in memory: 1024 MB
Free memory: 342 MB
Memory available to Photoshop: 979 MB
Memory used by Photoshop: 70 %
Image cache levels: 6
Serial number: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Application folder: Macintosh HD:Users:christopherbunjaminesktop:
Photoshop scratch has async I/O enabled
Scratch volume(s):
Startup, 111.5G, 89.9G free
Primary Plug-ins folder: not set
Additional Plug-ins folder: not set

Installed plug-ins:

ADM 3.1.0 - from the file “/Users/christopherbunjamin/Desktop/Adobe Photoshop CS2.app/Contents/Required/AdobeADM.bundle/”
ASDataStreams 1.0.3 - from the file “/Users/christopherbunjamin/Desktop/Adobe Photoshop CS2.app/Contents/Required/ASDataStream.plugin/”
Camera Raw 3.0.0 - from the file “/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Plug-Ins/CS2/File Formats/Camera Raw.plugin/”
PNG Icon Parser 1.2.2 - from the file “/Users/christopherbunjamin/Desktop/Adobe Photoshop CS2.app/Contents/Required/ADM-PNGCarbon.plugin/”
ScriptingSupport 9.0.0 - from the file “/Users/christopherbunjamin/Desktop/Adobe Photoshop CS2.app/Contents/Required/ScriptingSupport.plugin/”
Plug-ins that failed to load: NONE

Installed TWAIN devices: NONE

-------------------------------

I was just wondering. Thanks..

mac1896
Forum Regular
Sep 18, 2006, 12:14 AM

Thanks for the tips guys, btw just tried my external HDD, it's so friggin NOISY! ha ha ha, I think im gonna put it FAR down the table so I can't hear the fan runnning lol.

I just checked the "system info" through my Photoshop CS2, how come it shows the architecture to be G4 instead of the Core Duo? Here ill post it below :

Adobe Photoshop Version: 9.0 (9.0x196)
Operating System: Mac OS 10.4.7
System architecture: PowerPC G4 with AltiVec
Physical processor count: 1
Processor speed: 2147 MHz

snip
If you are not using a "Universal" install of CS2, it will be running under "Rosetta" (emulation of the G4), thus, showing a G4.
Gee, I hope they're friendly..........

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2006, 02:00 AM

Rosetta doesn't emulate the G5? Hm. I didn't know that. Good to know.
Linkinus is king.

mac1896
Forum Regular
Sep 18, 2006, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by brokenjago
Rosetta doesn't emulate the G5? Hm. I didn't know that. Good to know.
Things that make you go "hmmmmm"....

Good Question. That I couldn't tell ya..........

I've been using G4s for so long I actually forgot about the G5s even being around.

Gee, I hope they're friendly..........

kerisabe  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2006, 11:36 AM

SECURITY:

Btw, is there any anti-virus/security software installed in the MBP or do we have to get it separately? So far so good.. the only problem Ive had only the Safari closed on me twice by itself while downloading a few fonts online.

kerisabe  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2006, 12:22 PM

Second question for the day...

Is there anyway I can improve the playback of 1080p videos on my MPB? Cause the frames are choppy compared when playing back the 720p or 480p. Thanks.
REPLACING THE DEFECTED iMAC 24" ---> 24" Eizo CG241W screen | 8-core 2.8Ghz Mac Pro | 8GB | 320GB 7200rpm | 500GB 7200rpm | NVIDiA 8800GT 512MB |
NEWLY RECRUITED and RETURNED -->24" iMac | 3.06Ghz Core 2 Duo | 4GB | 500 GB 7200rpm | FW400+800 | DL DVD-RW |
RETIRED -->17" GL MacBookPro | 2.16Ghz | 2GB | SD | 120Gb 5400rpm | FW400+800 | DL DVD-RW |

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Sep 20, 2006, 12:38 PM

Second question for the day...

Is there anyway I can improve the playback of 1080p videos on my MPB? Cause the frames are choppy compared when playing back the 720p or 480p. Thanks.
Your sig can be no larger than 200 pixels wide by 50 pixels tall.

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 20, 2006, 06:45 PM

SECURITY:

Btw, is there any anti-virus/security software installed in the MBP or do we have to get it separately? So far so good.. the only problem Ive had only the Safari closed on me twice by itself while downloading a few fonts online.

1. your macbook will come with a built in firewall. as far as anti-virus stuff opinions around here are mostly that you don't need it. i personally don't use any. this is why you bought a mac.
coming from windows this may be hard to understand.
2. do not buy anything made by norton for your mac.

Rumpole
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2006, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by cambro

I bought a MBP 2 weeks ago and ran Migration Assistant from my Imac G5. I have now got everything as I want it, but am down to 33Gb free space. Is it now too late to reinstall from the installation disc, losing languages, printer drivers etc. that I don't need, without backing everything up and doing a clean install? I remember that when I have upgraded from earlier versions of OS X, I have used "backup and install" (or some similar sounding easy install option that kept all my pre-existing HD contents), but I can't remember if that gives you any custom install options. I am reluctant to start any reinstall process from the disc that came with the MBP without knowing where I may end up before I start. The hassle of backing everything up and doing a slimmed-down clean install is too much for the saving of a couple of Gb. Any advice would be appreciated.

kerisabe  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2006, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Rumpole
I bought a MBP 2 weeks ago and ran Migration Assistant from my Imac G5. I have now got everything as I want it, but am down to 33Gb free space. Is it now too late to reinstall from the installation disc, losing languages, printer drivers etc. that I don't need, without backing everything up and doing a clean install? I remember that when I have upgraded from earlier versions of OS X, I have used "backup and install" (or some similar sounding easy install option that kept all my pre-existing HD contents), but I can't remember if that gives you any custom install options. I am reluctant to start any reinstall process from the disc that came with the MBP without knowing where I may end up before I start. The hassle of backing everything up and doing a slimmed-down clean install is too much for the saving of a couple of Gb. Any advice would be appreciated.
I dun even bother to do it, im just too lazy I guess.. The only thing Im concerned is the performance of the graphics, is there any way that I can help increase that?? Watching a 1080p clip is pretty painful in these things... the frame is pretty CHOPPY, do I have to say that twice, no problem watching the 720p tho..
REPLACING THE DEFECTED iMAC 24" ---> 24" Eizo CG241W screen | 8-core 2.8Ghz Mac Pro | 8GB | 320GB 7200rpm | 500GB 7200rpm | NVIDiA 8800GT 512MB |
NEWLY RECRUITED and RETURNED -->24" iMac | 3.06Ghz Core 2 Duo | 4GB | 500 GB 7200rpm | FW400+800 | DL DVD-RW |
RETIRED -->17" GL MacBookPro | 2.16Ghz | 2GB | SD | 120Gb 5400rpm | FW400+800 | DL DVD-RW |

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 21, 2006, 09:02 PM

I dun even bother to do it, im just too lazy I guess.. The only thing Im concerned is the performance of the graphics, is there any way that I can help increase that?? Watching a 1080p clip is pretty painful in these things... the frame is pretty CHOPPY, do I have to say that twice, no problem watching the 720p tho..
Upgrading your RAM to 2GB might help with the 1080p. That's a lot of data to be pushing, it could be swapping to HDD pretty quick.

Also, if you've just started to use your MacBook Pro, Spotlight might still be indexing. Give it a day or so.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

jaydon34
Senior User
Sep 22, 2006, 12:15 AM

Thats odd being that I play 1080p on my macbook fine. I watch the apple trailers all the time .
myflickr : mytwitter : twentyonethirty
17" Macbook Pro 2.6Ghz 4gb 200GB HD: 8gb Iphone 3g: Hp Mini 1000 Netbook

kerisabe  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2006, 02:07 AM

jaydon34: Are u sure your macbook plays 1080p materials smoothly?? The last time I checked, even playin regular 480i dvd on the macbook look pretty choppy, it's not smooth at all. That's one of the reason why I went w/ the mbp.

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2006, 12:40 PM

The MacBook (and especially pro) can easily play H.264 encoded 1080p material. It's really the H.264 that makes it have to work so hard, but it can do it with some headroom left.

buddy1065
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 22, 2006, 02:57 PM

When I was at the store the Macbook pros seemed to do OK with 1080p that I downloaded. Not sure but I think I recalled some flicker on the low end Macbook Pro 15". I definitely saw some flicker on the Macbook. But perhaps I downloaded something higher than 1080p. The 17" seemed to run it flawlessly though. Oh well, if all else fails I usually re-install/format the HD. I also recall someone doing this and his problem was solved.

kerisabe  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 23, 2006, 10:14 AM

Maybe I should do that and re-install the OS and softwares.

Does anyone know how to use the iSight w/ MSN Messenger?

Ryknow215
Sep 25, 2006, 08:21 AM

I would guess that if you turn your iSight camera on, you'll see an option for video chatting become available, whether it is in the buddy list window or within the chat window. That's the way it is with both iChat and Skype; once the camera is turned on, a little icon becomes available. Try it out and see what happens, although I can't help you with turning iSight on with a MBP. I've got the external iSight
21.5" iMac | OS X 10.6.4 | 3.06 GHz | 4GB DDR3
Motorola Droid | 2.2 Froyo
Playing together nicely!

kerisabe  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2006, 09:34 AM

Yea, I dunno how to turn on the iSight in my MBP other than using the Photobooth or iChat since the iSight will turn on by itself when using those programs.

Maybe I should use other msn program? Right now im using the MSN Messenger Ive downloaded from the Microsoft website, and there is no camera button on the window or settings.

JKT
Professional Poster
Sep 25, 2006, 03:25 PM

MSN Messenger does not do video conferencing on the Mac and unbelievably the next version won't either. It is MS's way of pretending to be non-monopolistic by being able to say "MSN Messenger is available for the Mac" but in reality offering crippleware.

Try Mercury Messenger or aMSN instead.

Frugle
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 25, 2006, 07:45 PM

hmm, that is odd that your MacBook won't do HD... I litterally just got done playing 2 1080p videos without a single jitter.. (and i'm real OCD about fram drops) make sure you have all none used apps closed when watching HD...

Oh, make sure you are COMPLETELY up to date with software update, generally with new computers, if you leave it the way it came, it will have little glitches.

the program that helped me the most when I got my first mac was and still is Quicksilver.. most useful program in the world..

I love my mac, and I really hope you do to!

(do you notice your computer whining? if so, Quite MBP silenced mine, but doesn't work for everyone)
15" MacBook Pro | 2.16GHz | 2GB DDR2 | 100GB 5400 rpm | 256MB X1600

kerisabe  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2006, 10:39 PM

Thanks for the inputs guys, Ill try those msn programs..

Umm yea I had a few apps running while watching the 1080p clips. It jitters. The computer updated itself once I first booted it up. So i guess the software is updated enough. No, my MBP doesn't whine at all, and it runs so quiet I can hear a pin drop.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Sep 28, 2006, 12:10 PM

Thanks for the inputs guys, Ill try those msn programs..

Umm yea I had a few apps running while watching the 1080p clips. It jitters. The computer updated itself once I first booted it up. So i guess the software is updated enough. No, my MBP doesn't whine at all, and it runs so quiet I can hear a pin drop.
Actually you'll want to run Software Update again, there are a couple updates that don't install the first time around. IDK if any of these would affect video playback, but they're there.

kerisabe  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 28, 2006, 01:17 PM

Ok Gossamer,

Im gonna do the software update again now. Hopefully that helps....

pnsji
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 28, 2006, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by zerostar
control+click on the hard drive and do "get info" Capacity will tell you the total.
You could also do
"apple" and "i" for info

Forum Links
Forum Rules