Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Color Laser for Card Stock

Color Laser for Card Stock
JFischel
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 13, 2007, 04:47 PM

All,

Does anyone have any experience with color laser printers that are appropriate for printing on card stock. I'm looking to print my own wedding invites, and want to purchase an appropriate laser printer.

Thanks,

Josh
20 Inch Intel iMac * MacBook 2 GHz * 60GB iPod * 4GB iPhone

Nivag
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2007, 01:18 PM

Not sure of the costs involved in using a colour laser printer for high capacity output, but i like the results of the Xerox wax/solid ink based printers on card, they give a slight raised printed feel to them. The Phaser 8560 is the latest one.

I'd make sure you test output on a variety of paper stock before you invest, as textured card might not take the ink/wax that well. You'd might be best to find a friendly printer to print the invites.

Camali
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 15, 2007, 11:31 PM

I agree the solid ink Xerox printers give a very nice color results. However, inkjets can also output some nice stuff (on the right paper) Unless of course in you're in the market for a colour laser, Xerox is the best brand for it.

bluedog
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2007, 03:11 PM

I wouldn't recommend the solid wax for some stocks. The waxes work well on paper, but i would highly recommend asking to have a few printed on a floor model at a local retailer before you buy (or have a good return policy with your purchase).

I work at a label printing company and some of the specific materials designed for laser printers do not work well with the solid inks (specifically a laser gloss). Since the waxes tend to melt at a different temp and have different adhering properties, for most things it will be the same but on labels and thicker stocks I would be wary.

Thicker papers can cause many quality issues from uneven color, toner peeling, transferring from one area of the printout further down the page. If you are set on color printing from a laser printer its likely because you wish to create your own designs. Designing from scratch can give you the freedom to create a finished work that can be printed economically and still look professional and stylish.

Consider what you are attempting to do that requires the color laser. I've had jobs printed by local quick printers that come out looking great, but then again I work in printing so it may be experience.

andi*pandi
Jul 16, 2007, 07:56 PM

if the paper you are using has any texture, high quality inkjet would work better IMO. I've never tried the solid ink described above though. I used a local printer for most of my invites, and my inkjet (epson even) for the pieces that didn't warrant a press run (table numbers etc) and they turned out well.

Thorzdad
Jul 16, 2007, 10:29 PM

I've used the Xerox printers (back when they were still Tektronix brand) and always had exceptional results on a wide variety of stocks. The ink is in solid form in the printer, but it doesn't lay it down in a way that is heavy or waxy. It's easily the best output I've ever had from an office printer. And easily as good (or better) than what many print shops give you as "digital prints" these days.

art_director
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2007, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
I've used the Xerox printers (back when they were still Tektronix brand) and always had exceptional results on a wide variety of stocks. The ink is in solid form in the printer, but it doesn't lay it down in a way that is heavy or waxy. It's easily the best output I've ever had from an office printer. And easily as good (or better) than what many print shops give you as "digital prints" these days.
ditto. if you're looking to buy one of these bad boys be prepared to drop thousands.

Forum Links
Forum Rules