Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Your Experience with Apple's Recycling Program?

Your Experience with Apple's Recycling Program?
l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 3, 2010, 09:55 PM

I used it for the first time the other day. I bought a new Mac (for a customer) on Amazon. So I went to Apple.com, and filled out the form. It was obviously looking for an Apple.com order number but I entered the Amazon number anyway and they authorized it. So they didn't email me shipping labels, but they did email me two shipping authorizations that I guess I have to bring to FedEx and they'll print out free labels from the bar codes? This particular customer bought a base model iMac and is sending back an eMac.

So I'm wondering what other experiences people have had with this program? I ask because I have lots of old stuff I want to recycle. I have lots of beige macs. I also have a big box full of parts, including tons of hard drives (at least half of which have apple logos on them), lots and lots of MacBook parts, and lots of other random parts from Macs. So my idea was that when I buy a new mac for a customer, and they don't have an old one to send back, I'd take their codes and start sending apple back some of my junk. I have a small amount of non-apple brand stuff too, like some hard drives that don't have an apple logo. some old ram that may not work any more.

lexapro
Baninated
Apr 4, 2010, 12:14 AM

Sorry I do not have any experience with it.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 4, 2010, 12:38 AM

So why would you reply then?

lexapro
Baninated
Apr 4, 2010, 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by l008com View Post
So why would you reply then?
Sorry. Didn't know I shouldn't.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 4, 2010, 06:07 PM

This proves that the overwhelming majority Mac owners are not taking advantage of this program.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 4, 2010, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by The Godfather View Post
This proves that the overwhelming majority Mac owners are not taking advantage of this program.
Well, I'll be taking advantage of it enough to make up for everyone else

Professional Poster
Apr 5, 2010, 12:55 AM

I recycle by reselling. Can't say I've heard even anecdotally of anyone using Apple's recycle program.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 6, 2010, 05:36 AM

Well I guess I'm going to be the first then! Here is the contents of the first box o' parts I'm going to send. Contains all Mac parts except the SCSI PCI card.

(7) 3.5" Apple Logo Hard Drives: 4GB, 6GB, 60GB, 10GB, 10GB, 10GB, 30GB
(1) 2.5" Apple Logo Hard Drive: 60 GB
(1) 5.25" Apple Super Drive
(1) MacBook SuperDrive
(1) Mac Pro Hard Drive Connector Cable
(1) MacBook Battery Interconnect Board
(1) MacBook DC-In Board
(1) Apple 10/100 PCI Card (classic!)
(1) iMac G5 Ambient Light Sensor
(1) SCSI PCI Card (omg the only thing that's not Apple!)
(1) White MacBook Display sans LCD
(2) Black MacBook Top Cases
(1) White MacBook Top Case
(1) Black MacBook Bottom Case with Logic Board
(1) White MacBook Bottom Case with Logic Board
(1) PowerBook 12" G4 Keyboard
(1) PowerBook 12" G4 Top Case
(1) PowerBook 12" G4 Bottom Case
(1) Very short IDE Ribbon
(1) Apple 5.25" IDE CD-RW Drive
Misc Macbook hinges and frameworks
(∞) Screws

( Last edited by l008com; Apr 6, 2010 at 05:43 AM. )

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 6, 2010, 06:14 AM

So the terms and conditions say with each new mac, you can recycle 1 CPU, 1 monitor, and any peripherals from that computer. Also it can be any brand of computer. So my little package doesn't exactly fit that. But hey, it's a pretty small box once I packed it all up. It's a 12 x 12 x 5.5 box, with one side bulging an extra inch or so. It's packed very tightly though, this box probably weighs 25 pounds :-D But it's small enough that hopefully they take it. I imagine hard drives are very easily recycled. The PowerBook G4 case parts should be super easy too. The plastic macbook, not so much. But... oh well.

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2010, 02:20 PM

You may send it in, and then be banned from participating in the program (or they may send it back). I haven't tried it, but it seems like that would be one possible reaction to fraudulently using the program.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Apr 6, 2010, 02:30 PM

Don't you have free e-cycling in your area? Seems simpler to drop it off somewhere that takes anything than to abuse Apple's program by not adhering to the terms of the program.
Vandelay Industries

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 6, 2010, 03:06 PM

I've never heard of any free e-cycling. And I think abuse is a harsh word. It's not "exactly" a computer, but its less than one full computer's worth of computer stuff. I suspect this box of goodies is just going to get sent directly to the recycler and I'll never hear about it again.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 6, 2010, 03:58 PM

They have free e-cycling programs here in Southern California. You'd think they'd have it Massachusetts too.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 6, 2010, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
They have free e-cycling programs here in Southern California. You'd think they'd have it Massachusetts too.
Yeah you would think that. But apparently not.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2010, 10:17 PM

So I went to fedex today. You just hand them the unlabeled box and your barcode, and they magically print out a label from that. They slap it on and your good to go. I was wondering how that worked.

Also, this boxes to to some Apple Recycling Center in Chicago of all places!

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 13, 2010, 06:01 AM

My package has arrived (so to speak) at apple's recycling center. Hopefully it doesn't arrive back at my house in a few days, with an angry note attached :-)

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Apr 13, 2010, 09:19 AM

What's wrong with CraigsList's free section? I've gotten rid of literally an entire room full of old Mac garbage in like a half hour.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 13, 2010, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
What's wrong with CraigsList's free section? I've gotten rid of literally an entire room full of old Mac garbage in like a half hour.
You have to meet people interested in ancient Mac garbage.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Apr 13, 2010, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
You have to meet people interested in ancient Mac garbage.
Nope. I was leaving but I told my roommates he was coming and told him where to pick the stuff up. No problem.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 14, 2010, 03:26 AM

Most of the stuff I sent was dead. Dead macbook logic boards, dead topcases, I think all the drives were dead too. Eventually I may send in some old beige Macs I have. Its just not worth the effort to meet up with someone on craigslist. But I've got lots more dead stuff before I get to working ancient computer. Except this old CRT I have. About a 12" I'd say. Probably still works but I'll be sending that in. I have to pay $20 to throw it away in my town. And it's so old, its not like a 15" VGA monitor that you can easily give away for free.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 14, 2010, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Nope. I was leaving but I told my roommates he was coming and told him where to pick the stuff up. No problem.
Well some of us don't have roommates, or friends!

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

OatmealRunner
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 8, 2010, 05:33 PM

I was curious if you received any money from recycling your items? I have 2 minis I was thinking of recycling. According to their online estimator I should get $154 back. What do you think?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 8, 2010, 05:54 PM

Anyone know if you can still bring dead iPods into Apple retail stores for one day store credit toward new Apple gear?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jun 8, 2010, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by OatmealRunner View Post
I was curious if you received any money from recycling your items? I have 2 minis I was thinking of recycling. According to their online estimator I should get $154 back. What do you think?
iPod Minis or Mac Minis? If they're Mac Minis, I'd gladly give you $155 for the pair.

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2010, 10:46 PM

I suspect you would have to pay shipping Laminar, after all apple does.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jun 8, 2010, 10:59 PM

That's fine with me.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 8, 2010, 11:48 PM

Wait wait are we talking about different things here? They pay YOU for recycling computers? That is news to me. What online estimator tols you a mini is worth $154 as raw recycled material?

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2010, 12:16 AM

Yeah I did just kind of glance over that and assume I hadn't heard of it. I assume it would have to be something worth reconditioning though.

Doc Juansinn
Senior User
Jun 9, 2010, 05:05 AM

Here's a link for Apple's main recycling page. Apple - Recycling Program

BigMac, it looks like one could bring to an Apple retail store an old iPod and receive 10% off a new iPod. It doesn't mention any other credit.

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2010, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Apple
Get your estimate and ship your computer.
Apple contracts with PowerON,2 who will estimate the fair market value of your computer. They will also send you a box and a prepaid shipping label.3 Pack your computer carefully, then send it off.
Apple Recycling Program

Forum Links
Forum Rules