Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > How to simultaneously launch several apps?

How to simultaneously launch several apps?
jprint714
Dec 15, 2011, 04:42 AM

Hi,

I typically use several app's as soon as I restart my computer. Apart from selecting "Reopen windows when logging back in," is there a way to simultaneously launch several apps (i.e., a regular group of apps)? Is there some way to integrate this into LaunchPad?

Thanks!

P
Dec 15, 2011, 04:53 AM

You can add them to be autostarted in System Preferences, or you can put shortcut icons on the desktop so you can select a bunch and doubleclick.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Dec 15, 2011, 05:12 AM

You could also write a script and add it to the dock. Use Automator if you don't like manual scripting.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Camali
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 15, 2011, 12:20 PM

For years I've used the Login for System Preferences, but noticed it would slow down as all the apps were loading at once. Then I tried Starupizer (app store) and it lets you insert delays between apps, it does add more time to loading but I prefer it over System Prefs option.

jprint714  (op)
Dec 15, 2011, 12:23 PM

Actually, I don't want these apps to automatically start up when I log in -- sometimes I don't want to launch them right aways or want to start up individual apps, but not a set of them.

I'm interested in some of the other options that you guys mention, with using Automator and / or the bunching option. Can you walk me through that a bit more... I haven't used automator and am not totally clear on the bunching option. Thanks!

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 15, 2011, 01:04 PM

There are simpler to use tools for things like launching apps through keyboard shortcuts. Butler comes to mind immediately, and I'm pretty sure there are others. Automator's fine for those who know how to use it, but it's not a tool I'd recommend to most regular users.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

P
Dec 15, 2011, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by jprint714 View Post
Actually, I don't want these apps to automatically start up when I log in -- sometimes I don't want to launch them right aways or want to start up individual apps, but not a set of them.

I'm interested in some of the other options that you guys mention, with using Automator and / or the bunching option. Can you walk me through that a bit more... I haven't used automator and am not totally clear on the bunching option. Thanks!
By bunching I guess you mean what I said. Find the actual applications (usually at /Applications or ~/Applications - type either of those in the dialog box that shows up when you select Go To Folder from the Finder's Go menu) and make shortcuts to the ones you want on the desktop. To launch them all, drag a box around them and doubleclick one icon. This will launch all of them.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Dec 16, 2011, 01:22 AM

Or use Automator to create an app to launch the apps you want.

Drag the new app you created into the Dock.

Just Launch Automator and play around, you should be able to work it out.

Tom.

Forum Links
Forum Rules