Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Best newer compact wagon?

Best newer compact wagon? (Page 2)
Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 25, 2011, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Eh?
Fixed. Hopefully, that makes a little more sense now.

Yes, this is all theater to make the Lounge seem less dead than it is.
Yeah, I'm only pretending to be interested. The only reason I'm able to have an opinion at all is because of Top Gear.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 25, 2011, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Fixed. Hopefully, that makes a little more sense now.
How is it a ton fun to drive?

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2011, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
I've driven most of them at various points in years, but none in back-to-back tests, you know? So the next step will be to do that. I just hadn't bothered yet because the Focus/Impreza weren't available. (I'm not a terribly big fan of the Fiesta to be honest, but I dunno.)
Oddly enough, I'll need a car to get to the car dealerships here. Funny, that.
Most of the dealerships around here have courtesy shuttles for the service dept. I'd bet they would be more than happy to come pock you up for a sales opportunity. Dropping you off at a competitor afterword maybe not so happy.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 25, 2011, 02:26 PM

How is it a ton fun to drive?
There's not a perfect way to describe it, but if you're driving down a winding road or darting in and out of traffic, it's just fun. The handling can be experienced in a test drive, but not really experienced until you own it and can zip around a bit.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 25, 2011, 02:31 PM

There's not a perfect way to describe it, but if you're driving down a winding road or darting in and out of traffic
I posit that this would be fun in any well-made car.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 25, 2011, 03:17 PM

There's not a perfect way to describe it, but if you're driving down a winding road or darting in and out of traffic, it's just fun. The handling can be experienced in a test drive, but not really experienced until you own it and can zip around a bit.
I've been able to drive the Fiesta quite a bit, and I agree. It isn't really a technically amazing car. Nothing stands out spec-wise. But it has a very Germanic feel of solidity about the chassis, which makes you feel confident as a driver, despite the fact that in reality it's a pretty small car without much grip. I've said in previous threads that the Fiesta drives a lot more like a heavy-hitter like the VW GTi instead of a supermini. Also, in towns like Colorado Springs, the suspension does an amazing job of sorting out horrible road surfaces, reinforcing the impression that you're driving something a lot more expensive. The Focus handles pretty much the same, really, but the steering isn't quite as quick at higher speeds. I haven't driven the Focus hatch, but the sedan does have an awkward tendency to let the rear end get floaty under trail braking, but that's likely because of a more nose-heavy weight distribution than the Fiesta hatch (I've only driven the Fiesta hatch too). But most of my driving is in Colorado Springs on mountain backroads where it's fun to push the car a little harder.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 25, 2011, 03:18 PM

I posit that this would be fun in any well-made car.
In today's world of intrusive stability and traction control, sadly most cars designed for mere mortals these days make such fun nearly impossible, at least from the watered-down cars we get in the US.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 25, 2011, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
In today's world of intrusive stability and traction control,
Perhaps I've misjudged Jawbone, but I suspect that's fairly far from his thoughts.

andi*pandi
Aug 25, 2011, 04:40 PM

Sometimes it's not the car that's fun to drive, but the roads that make the drive. I recently drove around my hometown, which is full of rolling hills and curving roads, and had more fun driving than I have in a long time. My kids actually said "wheee" at one point as we crested a hill.

96 Subaru still gots it.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 25, 2011, 04:48 PM

In today's world of intrusive stability and traction control, sadly most cars designed for mere mortals these days make such fun nearly impossible, at least from the watered-down cars we get in the US.
Perhaps I've misjudged Jawbone, but I suspect that's fairly far from his thoughts.
True, but the bold text below is exactly what I'm talking about, even though I'm too much of a car idiot to explain it myself:

I've been able to drive the Fiesta quite a bit, and I agree. It isn't really a technically amazing car. Nothing stands out spec-wise. But it has a very Germanic feel of solidity about the chassis, which makes you feel confident as a driver, despite the fact that in reality it's a pretty small car without much grip. I've said in previous threads that the Fiesta drives a lot more like a heavy-hitter like the VW GTi instead of a supermini. Also, in towns like Colorado Springs, the suspension does an amazing job of sorting out horrible road surfaces, reinforcing the impression that you're driving something a lot more expensive. The Focus handles pretty much the same, really, but the steering isn't quite as quick at higher speeds. I haven't driven the Focus hatch, but the sedan does have an awkward tendency to let the rear end get floaty under trail braking, but that's likely because of a more nose-heavy weight distribution than the Fiesta hatch (I've only driven the Fiesta hatch too). But most of my driving is in Colorado Springs on mountain backroads where it's fun to push the car a little harder.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 25, 2011, 05:06 PM

LOL @ the adverts on this page now.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 25, 2011, 05:11 PM

True, but the bold text below is exactly what I'm talking about, even though I'm too much of a car idiot to explain it myself:
Whatever, he just bailed your ass out.

LOL @ the adverts on this page now.

Chevy?!

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 25, 2011, 05:21 PM

Whatever, he just bailed your ass out.
I've been saying those things about the Fiesta since before it went on sale in America and way before jawbone got his. I even made a thread about the 2012 Fiesta when it was announced for the US.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 25, 2011, 05:24 PM

I've been saying those things about the Fiesta since before it went on sale in America and way before jawbone got his. I even made a thread about the 2012 Fiesta when it was announced for the US.
Yeah, you said those things. Duh.

CreepDogg
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2011, 10:10 AM

Update: my dealer finally got a couple of '12 Imprezas for test drives. Loved it. The interior is very roomy, and is generally made with nice materials. I found the power to be more than adequate, and this may come as blasphemy to some, but I actually liked the CVT in it. It felt much more 'direct' than a regular automatic and seemed much more lively and responsive. Handling is maybe a slight bit 'cushier' than the Focus and another I ended up looking at, the Mazda 3, but not by much - the car was still solid in the corners and had good road feel.

Shortcut - if you're still in the market, another car to check out (assuming they sell them up in the Great White North) is the Mazda 3 Skyactiv - I was very impressed with it as well. It's about the same as the Impreza power-wise, but has a slight bit more 'fun' feel in ride and handling (but not by much). For me, the Mazda and Subaru were VERY close, with the Subie being my preference due to the AWD, more roomy interior and better visibility. But I don't think anyone would go wrong with either.

I have an Impreza on order. Now for the 6-week wait...ugh.

ShortcutToMoncton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 18, 2011, 10:23 AM

Wow, great timing. I'm actually going to try to test drive both the Impreza and the SkyActive Mazda3 this weekend.

I think the Impreza is a bit pricier, unfortunately. It's not like I have a buttload of disposable income and I have a hard time spending it on something like a starter car that will depreciate like mad. But I don't think there's any question that here in Canada, for at least 5 months of the year I will appreciate driving (and perhaps more importantly, having my wife driving) an AWD and the Subbie's strong safety rating.

The interior expansion I like, along with the seats folding flat. That's great stuff, and definitely one reason I'd take the Impreza as well. We'll see how well I like the interior, but I was never much of a fan of the Mazda3's old interior, and apparently they've made a significant step backwards with the new models - too bad.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

CreepDogg
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2011, 10:56 AM

Wow, great timing. I'm actually going to try to test drive both the Impreza and the SkyActive Mazda3 this weekend.

I think the Impreza is a bit pricier, unfortunately. It's not like I have a buttload of disposable income and I have a hard time spending it on something like a starter car that will depreciate like mad. But I don't think there's any question that here in Canada, for at least 5 months of the year I will appreciate driving (and perhaps more importantly, having my wife driving) an AWD and the Subbie's strong safety rating.

The interior expansion I like, along with the seats folding flat. That's great stuff, and definitely one reason I'd take the Impreza as well. We'll see how well I like the interior, but I was never much of a fan of the Mazda3's old interior, and apparently they've made a significant step backwards with the new models - too bad.
On pricing - really? That sucks. In the US, pricing is very close when they're similarly equipped. In fact, when I config out each model I want, MSRP is exactly the same. They may be dealing more on the Mazdas though, because the Impreza is a completely new model. Dealer did give me a discount though.

'Starter car' - heh. I think this is my 8th or 9th car (depending how you count the wife's cars). I'm probably not their target demographic for these cars, but all the same, they have all the features and size I want...

One word of advice - if you want to test the Impreza - call ahead to see if the dealer has any. They're just starting to trickle in down here so not all dealers have them. May be different in Canada...

ShortcutToMoncton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 18, 2011, 03:32 PM

Hmmm, you know, I think you're right - there's not as much difference as I thought. Their offered packages are different but when I look at features and price them accordingly, they're probably within $1500. (Although the Subaru Canada site seems to have a problem with the "add accessories" portion of their build screen - it's just a blank space. Weird.)

ShortcutToMoncton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 19, 2011, 02:25 PM

Ended up paring it down to the new Subaru Impreza (hatch) or the VW Jetta TDI (sedan), for basically the same lease price (the Impreza being slightly cheaper). Love the new TDI engine and the interior on the VW was a little nicer (although not hugely so), and the car has far less road noise - the Subaru had of course the AWD, a little cheaper interior and a little more road noise, but bluetooth connectivity for the cell phones.

Probably will opt for the Impreza, it looks like. The Jetta is slightly more refined than the Subaru but it's no longer as noticeable a difference as, say, with the Golf vs. the Impreza (and the Golf is significantly more expensive when you move to the Wagon model, although that's a lovely little car).

At the end of the day we're just leasing for a couple years so the extra mileage from the TDI wasn't going to be as big a deal as if we were buying the thing.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 19, 2011, 03:30 PM

I think I'd go for the Impreza as well. The Jetta TDI is a nice car, but it's a shame that the content has been cheapened so much since the last generation. And the Impreza has added a lot of value.

ShortcutToMoncton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 19, 2011, 03:47 PM

Yeah. The Golf Wagon was really nice, definitely a cut above the Jetta and the Impreza in terms of interior and that classic VW "smooth and heavy" driving feel, but the base model with 2.5 inline 5 is a decent bit more expensive than the Impreza mid-range model - with significantly worse mileage and no AWD. We get slushy east-coast winters with lots of steep hills, so AWD makes a significant driving difference for 6 months of the year.

The Jetta definitely has a cheaper feel now, more in line with the Mazda 3, Focus, Elantra, Impreza, etc. - because of course that's now its price and class range. Makes sense. Most of those other car companies could definitely still learn a few things from VW about putting together a refined, classy-looking budget interior though....

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 19, 2011, 04:43 PM

Impreza. If you had some more coin I'd recommend a Saab, but the Subaru is a good choice.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

ShortcutToMoncton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 19, 2011, 05:25 PM

Aren't they bankrupt?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 19, 2011, 05:33 PM

Aren't they bankrupt?
They still make a fine wagon, though. Volkswagen or Fiat will buy them, and if not, then it may trigger a big fire sale.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 19, 2011, 05:37 PM

I wouldn't spend a single cent on a VW, but that's just me. Love Subies though.

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 19, 2011, 11:25 PM

I have a Honda CRV, it's affordable and excellent.comfy, roomy reliable. The only issue is that the new model does not have a stick anymore, I don't know whether the OP wants stick or auto.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 20, 2011, 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
They still make a fine wagon, though. Volkswagen or Fiat will buy them, and if not, then it may trigger a big fire sale.
The 9-3 wagon is crap for the money. Ancient engine, poor gas mileage, and cheap plasticky interior.

VW and Fiat had every opportunity to buy Saab, but they haven't. Because they make better selling cars in every area.

I love Saab and wish they'd find a good buyer, but it's very much the end of the road for them.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 20, 2011, 05:26 AM

I was actually thinking about the 9-5 wagon, it's nice.

There's also the Volvo XC wagons/crossovers. Great interiors and high build quality. I'm sure a nice used one can be found below his budget cap.
- Thomas Paine

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 20, 2011, 05:58 AM

They don't sell the V60 there in the States.? There is an AWD version available in both, Petrol (305 H.P.) and Diesel (205 H.P.) engines.

ShortcutToMoncton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 20, 2011, 08:45 AM

Nope, that V60 doesn't look familiar (correct me if I'm wrong anyone), and haven't heard of any diesel-engined Volvo in the range I want to be spending.

As for Volvos - guys, I literally live, work and play within a 2-km radius of my house. I haven't even bothered to get a car until now as it was simply cheaper to rent a couple times a month whenever I wanted to get out of town. This won't be a daily commuter - or if it is, it's the "4-minute ride to work in a rain/snow-storm" kind of commute. We've been looking for something fairly cheap so money can go towards mortgages instead.

The base-model Volvo crossover is double the price of the Impreza off the lot. I'd have to be getting one 4-5 years old to make the price comparison work, and then I'd possibly be dealing with the requisite repair/warranty problems. And right now I'm just leasing for a couple years, as I didn't want to put any significant money down - I'd like to keep it through the standard warranty, and then go out and get an upgrade to something I would keep for a good few years.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 20, 2011, 09:07 AM

Nope, that V60 doesn't look familiar (correct me if I'm wrong anyone), and haven't heard of any diesel-engined Volvo in the range I want to be spending.
2011 Volvo V60 Unveiled, But Not for U.S.

"You can get V60 from Volvo's oversea delivery program, which offers much better deals than purchasing Volvos directly in US."

You might want to look into it.

Volvo Cars | Volvo Overseas Delivery, European Vacation

This won't be a daily commuter
Just out of curiosity, why would you want a Diesel.? With such a low estimated mileage, a Diesel engine is just going to cause more problems than anything else.

ShortcutToMoncton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 20, 2011, 09:40 AM

I'm in Canada, not the US. And it seems you didn't look at my price point - clearly I'm not looking to spend $40,000+ on a new car. And also, I refuse to believe that getting a V60 shipped from Europe will be cheaper than buying a similar Volvo in North America. Although I'm sure the initial purchase price would be a little less...I wonder if US would slap duty/taxes on top at arrival? There's no way that makes logical sense.

Diesel for the gas mileage, of course. Seems like they've got many of the emissions problems worked out to an acceptable level now...pretty impressive.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 20, 2011, 11:12 AM

I'm in Canada, not the US.
I somewhat somehow managed to miss thread page #1. My apologies.

Diesel for the gas mileage, of course. Seems like they've got many of the emissions problems worked out to an acceptable level now...pretty impressive.
Well, unless you make over 25000 Km. (15534 miles) a year, I wouldn't get a Diesel. There are some nice downsized turbo powered petrol engines out there with mpg figures that people used to think were only within Diesel's reach.

ShortcutToMoncton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 20, 2011, 11:19 AM

I agree that the mileage amount is one factor, but I think highway driving is just as large - if you drive less but mostly on the highway, then you'll definitely notice a significant difference. But at the end of the day your mileage will still probably be better with the diesel - at least that's how it is here. And if the cost is the same...why not?

But I probably won't get the Jetta TDI to be honest - I think AWD is worth more to me right now.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 20, 2011, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
I was actually thinking about the 9-5 wagon, it's nice.

There's also the Volvo XC wagons/crossovers. Great interiors and high build quality. I'm sure a nice used one can be found below his budget cap.
We don't get the 9-5 wagon in the US anymore.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 20, 2011, 12:53 PM

As for Volvos - guys, I literally live, work and play within a 2-km radius of my house. I haven't even bothered to get a car until now as it was simply cheaper to rent a couple times a month whenever I wanted to get out of town. This won't be a daily commuter - or if it is, it's the "4-minute ride to work in a rain/snow-storm" kind of commute. We've been looking for something fairly cheap so money can go towards mortgages instead.

The base-model Volvo crossover is double the price of the Impreza off the lot. I'd have to be getting one 4-5 years old to make the price comparison work, and then I'd possibly be dealing with the requisite repair/warranty problems. And right now I'm just leasing for a couple years, as I didn't want to put any significant money down - I'd like to keep it through the standard warranty, and then go out and get an upgrade to something I would keep for a good few years.
So used would be out of the question?
- Thomas Paine

ShortcutToMoncton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 20, 2011, 01:10 PM

I looked at some used cars, but

1) I preferred to lease at low interest rate and almost no money down
2) Local market is relatively small = much more of a process to find the "right one"
2) Maintenance is more of an issue with cars on the east coast Canada, harsh winters etc. etc. - have to be even more of a picky buyer after 4-5 years

Could have bought one in another province and driven it back home to avoid some of those issues, but again the "annoyance" factor was there.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 20, 2011, 01:20 PM

Okay, fair enough. I'd stick with the Subaru then.
- Thomas Paine

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 20, 2011, 01:39 PM

Alright. I live and work all within a 15-minute walk of anywhere downtown - the proverbial "shit where I eat" scenario, but good - and cars are just such money-losers that I've avoided one for the recent past. But now I'll be getting one later this fall. So since you people are all Car Experts, here's what's on my mind:

If new, somewhere around sub-25 grand. Bang for the buck is of course a must - I'll probably lean towards buying something a year or two old to be honest.
Thinking about wagon type - better for groceries, runs to the dump, dead bodies - and probably snowboard/kayak roof rack accessory capable.
Fun to drive.
Good mileage.
AWD a plus - we have hills + winter.
Reliability of course.
Looks are of course a factor.

Subaru Impreza: been looking hard at. Current generation has fantastic AWD and fun to drive. Looks aren't bad - nothing offensive, understated. Mileage is poor for class. Not the cheapest. Also, the new version coming this fall seems to slightly subtract the driving focus with more space and mileage factors. Haven't seen whether they're upping the price but it seems promising - might be the only one I seriously consider for a new vehicle.

Mazda3: keep hearing it's fun to drive, but have a hard time getting excited about the looks. Looks don't excite me outside and in - trying way too hard to have plastic-y doohickeys and such.

Golf/Jetta wagon: love in theory, and look great inside and out. Price, reliability and mileage are all poor.

Civic: the gold standard. Sigh. Don't really like the interiors. No wagon.

Elantra: the new gold standard. See: Civic. Exterior is blah - hate that "I'm extreme!" line on the sides.

Ford Focus: not sure what to say - isn't it a little smaller than some of the others? I've got nothing.

Yeah. I don't know. I don't want to do my research. Suggest something. Tell me why, and I'll think you're swell.
I got the 2012 Ford Focus Sedan (Hatch Back better for you're requirements) and its overall a good car in its price range. The full spec and full option car is amazing including self parking technology. Feels roomie inside both front and back. The traction control and stability control in it works really well including in the snow. That said its still a Ford. While greatly improved from other models you do find little annoyances here and there. And the Sync system from Microsoft is utter total garbage. Next car is going to be one that I can put a after market deck into.

Civic was and is still my first choice but at the time the this Summer the Focus came with more for less. I am a deep down Honda guy, my 24 year old prelude is still a running car and was very reliable up to the day I bought the Focus.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 20, 2011, 01:44 PM

Yeah, I also hate buying the first version of a major redesign, but, well, we'll see. In theory, both the Focus and the Impreza look like such great improvements over existing versions that it's hard not to be optimistic.
Its not. Our 2012 Focus has been out in Europe for a couple years. Its just new to North America.

BTW something to factor in about CVT Transmissions. A few of them if not most of them operate with w belt that does need to be changed. And if you think timing belts are expensive to change, a change to a CVT transmission belt is astronomical from what I have been told.
( Last edited by Athens; Dec 20, 2011 at 01:51 PM. )

ShortcutToMoncton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 20, 2011, 02:20 PM

Yeah, I looked at the Focus. Fun to drive and the interior is nice if a bit trying-too-hard-to-be-space-age (again, VW lead the way with simple/functional/classy). Not as much interior space as the Impreza though, especially everywhere behind the front seats - especially terrible head room in the rear due to the sloping roofline (anyone over 5'11 would have to slouch).

I'm leasing for 2-3 years so not as worried about maintenance costs, yet. But Ford has terrible lease rates - because of their mediocre resale value I guess. (Buyout amounts for Focus and Impreza after lease are significantly different.)

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 20, 2011, 10:31 PM

Scooby all the way dude. Not joking.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 20, 2011, 11:06 PM

I love driving my Mazda 3 HatchBack. I have the 2010 model. The front grin take some getting use to. The interior is nice. Wished it had better mileage.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

CreepDogg
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2011, 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by Athens View Post
BTW something to factor in about CVT Transmissions. A few of them if not most of them operate with w belt that does need to be changed. And if you think timing belts are expensive to change, a change to a CVT transmission belt is astronomical from what I have been told.
Everything I've read suggests the Subie uses a steel chain rather than a belt to drive the CVT. (The new Impreza motor is also using a timing chain instead of a timing belt so there's no need to change that). I still agree that even with a chain drive, it's more of a reliability risk than a tried-and-true solution, but I think the added mileage is worth the trade-off of some reliability risk. And generally, if your chain/belt goes, most manufacturers have you replace the whole tranny rather than just the belt. That's why it's expensive.

Ironically, part of the reason we're getting the Impreza is to get rid of the Mini Cooper CVT that we have. The biggest issue with that one is that the CVT in the Mini isn't even being made any more, so if it goes out you have to get a NOS replacement. It's also a rubber-belt model. Subaru is actively developing their CVT, so I'd expect prices to decrease rather than increase. I'd much rather take the risk with the Subie CVT than the Mini CVT. Having a fresh warranty on it doesn't hurt either.

I'd also trust the Subie's CVT over the Focus's dual-clutch thingy.

Anyway, still have at least a couple more weeks' wait for mine...

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2011, 01:53 AM

The dual clutch system has been around since the 80s. Ford started using it in a few models since 2008. Its basically 2 regular manual transmissions with a computer that controls timing. No torque converter. I would bet that the system will last longer then a traditional torque converter transmission. Probably at least as long as traditional manual boxes.

I have yet to drive a car with a CVT. How responsive is it for power when you floor it?

ShortcutToMoncton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2011, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by CreepDogg View Post
Anyway, still have at least a couple more weeks' wait for mine...
Ordered mine yesterday and should have it late next week. And I'm pretty much in North American Siberia. Booyah!

As for the CVT, I've only driven two and the Impreza's was by far the best. Obviously it's no manual, and it also seems a little louder, but this one was pretty responsive although the flappy paddles are effectively useless. (The other one was a few years old and it seemed like a slushbox though, with weird shifts.)

CreepDogg
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2011, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Athens View Post
The dual clutch system has been around since the 80s. Ford started using it in a few models since 2008. Its basically 2 regular manual transmissions with a computer that controls timing. No torque converter. I would bet that the system will last longer then a traditional torque converter transmission. Probably at least as long as traditional manual boxes.
Yes, but it's a Ford! Expect lots of small problems along the way. Given Ford's reputation with transmissions, I hardly think basically putting 2 of them in the car is a recipe for reliability. More parts to break.

I have yet to drive a car with a CVT. How responsive is it for power when you floor it?
As Shortcut said, somewhere between a manual and a torque converter automatic. Probably a little closer to the manual in responsiveness. It doesn't have that 'slushy' feel that an automatic has - when you hit the gas, it has the feeling like a manual of a direct connection between engine and wheels. Subaru says the CVT Impreza has better acceleration than last year's automatic Impreza, even though the engine is smaller and has about 15% less power and torque, and I see no reason to dispute that.

Right now, we have 2 Minis - one Cooper with a CVT and one Cooper S with a straight automatic. The CVT Cooper is definitely more responsive to the throttle - the automatic S tends to have a slushy delay before power kicks in (although once it does, obviously there's considerably more power).

CreepDogg
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2011, 09:57 AM

Ordered mine yesterday and should have it late next week. And I'm pretty much in North American Siberia. Booyah!
Bah Humbug!

Seems like here, the east and west coasts are getting flooded with them, and we're just getting the scraps here in flyover country for some reason. I did a factory order shortly after the first ones were being delivered, so I'm just happy to NOT be in the first factory run.

ShortcutToMoncton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2011, 01:09 PM

Yeah, just so happened they had one of the model/colour we wanted being shipped here anyway, so we were first to grab it.

Should be interesting. I'm looking forward to testing out the AWD in our snow/slush combination which is incredibly slippery - I was recklessly e-braking around our local parking lot last night in a little rental car and it was pretty wild.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 22, 2011, 09:52 PM

Found this typo in a Focus Titanium rental today.

Athens, have you ever had issue with yours showing a wrong outside temperature? Every one I've been in has been pretty substantially off when I first turn the car on, but it eventually normalizes. This one was correct, but at times it's said it's 10-20˚ lower than it actually is.

Forum Links
Forum Rules