Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > OSX home folder not available in Windows through BootCamp?

OSX home folder not available in Windows through BootCamp?
vcutag
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 29, 2009, 07:49 PM

So 10.6 comes with Boot Camp 3.0, which gives you access to your Mac partition through Windows. For me, this sounds great except that for some reason I can't seem to see anything in my home folder. I can see the subfolders in other user account folders, but for my account all I get is a blank window with 0 items.

I've checked the permissions on that folder and they're set to read/write for everyone... I've got to be missing something here.

Has anyone else noticed this problem as well? All of my media files are in that folder; I'd kind of like to have access to it when I'm in Boot Camp.

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2009, 05:23 PM

I've noticed this too. Wanna see a really weird workaround? in the Explorer's address bar, manually navigate to one of the subfolders (ie E:\Users\YOURNAME\Documents\). It works! So you can still access your files, as long as you know the name of the folder you're trying to navigate to. Weird.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

vcutag  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 2, 2009, 08:44 PM

That's bizarre, but a handy workaround indeed. Thanks for the tip.

Forum Links
Forum Rules