Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Car Talk - come in, we'll talk, no big whoop (Shaddim's bloggish thing)

Car Talk - come in, we'll talk, no big whoop (Shaddim's bloggish thing)
Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 25, 2012, 04:01 PM

No Click and Clack, although if you want to talk about them, that's fine with me, I loved those guys. Anyway, just thought I'd start a thread about general car shiz, cars we've seen, driven, or owned.

I've had a passion for cars for a long time, especially classics and convertibles. Hot hatches are sweet too, my wife has a little JCW Mini and it's quite a pocket rocket, very fun to drive. Problem was, though, that I just didn't have the room to really get into the hobby. We have a main 4 car garage, and then I added a 2 vehicle carport, but that just wasn't going to cut it. Now, however, I have the new separate garage that we had built this summer, and it's solely for toys and collectibles. It holds 12 cars (14 with tight parking, 18 with some stacking), has a work/lounge area, and a decent amount of storage space for parts and stuff. I don't have much decor up yet, but eventually I plan on setting up a couple of vintage pumps (recently got an early 50s Texaco) and I've already been buying up auto-related prints and porcelain signs. It's gonna be pretty cool.

As for my cars, well, there's good news and not-so-good news. The DB4 is strikingly pretty and has a decent amount of power, plenty IMO (tested at >300bhp), and it handles like... well, to be frank, a 50+ y/o car. No, it ain't defective or broken, it's just old. Regular cruising is fine, pleasant even, and if you push it a little beyond that it's still a capable ride. However, if you try to drive it like a more modern sports car, you're going to be in for a White Knuckle Ride faster than you can say Jay Kay. Bond must have had reflexes that rival those of a 12 y/o FPS junkie, or a woman who's 8 months pregnant. Never did I get into real "danger", I'm not going to risk wrapping it around a power pole, but it's ridiculously easy to generate copious amounts of pucker factor.

That all aside, none of this is really a bad thing, at all. Newer sporties, even with all the safety gizmos turned off, are "finger turners". Meaning, with relative ease, you can power slide with one digit on the wheel while drinking a soda pop, and no that isn't much of an exaggeration. You try that in an E-type or older Aston and it'll grind you up and spit you out. I promise. That's fun, however. No, not the getting killed part, the requiring more skill angle. After you've put in the time, work, and expense of new shorts, you're rewarded. Succinctly, it's analog in a digital world, and I love it. But, I do think I'm going to get the suspension updated and put on tires that were designed after the Vietnam conflict. Two factors there; one is that many of those parts are original and more likely to give under stress, and two is because the lady folk will be driving it some as well. Not to sound piggish, women can be just as capable as men, but their driving is... umm... yeah... moving right along. So, new suspension bits and stickier treads, and pack away all the originals, that's a solid plan. Just those mods will make it safer, but when I ask for it I can still get the thrill. Win-win.

Oh yeah, did I mention the head-turning part? People have enjoyed looking at it, I've seen lots of slacked-jaw, "WOW" expressions. If they're like me, and many are, seeing a nice classic brightens their day, and that's a cool bonus.

So, let's roll it out and get some motoring conversation started, and if we're lucky no one will get incinerated in the process.
( Last edited by Shaddim; Apr 30, 2013 at 05:28 PM. Reason: shortening title)
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 25, 2012, 06:40 PM

My Cherokee started to get "white knuckle fun" at about 80-90. High center of gravity too. I have an X5 now and you don't even notice you're going fast until past 100. Never really taken it above 120. Cops really don't approve of that here. Got pinched (in the Cherokee) going 100 and the trooper almost brought out drug sniffing dogs.

I generally don't smoke pot in the car, but it just so happened I broke my rule a few weeks earlier and knew there was a roach floating around in the back seat. The cop also didn't believe my partner and I had just driven 200 miles to for a location scout.

"Where's your photography equipment?"

"Back at the shop. We were scouting."

"Please step out of the car..."

I was waiting for things to hit the fan, and he finds the stack of Polaroids we took sitting in the glove compartment.

With that day's date written on them in sharpie.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 25, 2012, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
...the stack of Polaroids we took...
Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
If they're like me, and many are, seeing a nice classic brightens their day
How does this thread not have pics in it yet?

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 25, 2012, 08:12 PM

Oh, posted some in the other thread. Here ya go.

5200/width/350/height/700[/IMG]5201/width/350/height/700[/IMG]
5202/width/350/height/700[/IMG]
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 25, 2012, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
How does this thread not have pics in it yet?
I don't take many pictures of my car. There's not really anything I'd be bringing to the table.

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 25, 2012, 09:58 PM

I was busy today but I did get a chance to take the Dino out for some fun. You can tell the DB4 is an older car, as I mentioned before with the handling, that's not the case with the almost-Ferrari. I say almost because even though the 246 was sold by Ferrari, neither that name badge or the prancing horse are anywhere on it. No matter, however, it handles like one. It doesn't take long to forget you're in a 40 y/o car, the weight distribution is amazing and it tackles tight corners with ease. Clip the apex, drop it to 3rd, and bury the throttle. Lots of satisfying Gs to be had there, and the sound is fantastic. Yeah, the V-6 knows how to shout and with the top off it's even better. The power is decent with 195bhp, you won't mistake it for a 12 or 8, but it isn't bad. For it's weight, a trim 2,400lbs, it's sufficient. You aren't going to beat many modern sports cars in a straight line, but no matter, drag racing on public roads is for wienies.

and there's the looks...

5204/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

Bugger, Pininfarina earned their pay on these. I was talking in the other thread about how I decided to bid on this car after seeing it. It's a fact. I hadn't seen a 246 in person before, and afterward I was hooked. IMO, it's one of the 3 most beautiful cars Enzo and Co have ever made. Screw the purists, though, I'm going to add a Ferrari shield in front of the driver's side door.

Originally Posted by subego View Post
My Cherokee started to get "white knuckle fun" at about 80-90. High center of gravity too. I have an X5 now and you don't even notice you're going fast until past 100. Never really taken it above 120. Cops really don't approve of that here. Got pinched (in the Cherokee) going 100 and the trooper almost brought out drug sniffing dogs.
I generally don't smoke pot in the car, but it just so happened I broke my rule a few weeks earlier and knew there was a roach floating around in the back seat. The cop also didn't believe my partner and I had just driven 200 miles to for a location scout.
"Back at the shop. We were scouting."
"Please step out of the car..."
I was waiting for things to hit the fan, and he finds the stack of Polaroids we took sitting in the glove compartment.
With that day's date written on them in sharpie.
They didn't arrest you at 100? What was the speed limit? Around here they'll often haul you away and tow your car if you're doing 40+mph over.
- Thomas Paine

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 25, 2012, 10:24 PM

They didn't arrest you at 100? What was the speed limit? Around here they'll often haul you away and tow your car if you're doing 40+mph over.
No radar. He was right in front of an 18-wheeler, so I didn't see him until we were almost next to each other.

I usually have a good feel for where cops set up radar traps. The one time I got hit, I was able to drop it to 80 from 110 before he got a lock.

Both of these were on the interstate, so 55-65 speed limits.

Edit: I tend to drive the speed limit more now, and it feels so slow it's like I'm in the Matrix or something.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 26, 2012, 12:04 AM

I've had a passion for cars for a long time, especially classics and convertibles. Hot hatches are sweet too, my wife has a little JCW Mini and it's quite a pocket rocket, very fun to drive.
Given your economic position, sounds like you would be able to import some nice Renaults from Old Europe and get a taste why they are the hottest hatches around…

List gathered from Autocar magazine.

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 26, 2012, 04:58 AM

I don't know if I like them that much. There was a Clio V6 P2 for sale in Maryland for $25k a few months ago. Someone went through a lot of trouble and expense to get one over here.
- Thomas Paine

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 26, 2012, 09:18 AM

Those hot hatches are for going around corners, dunno how much fun they'd be on American roads.

I always thought, maybe I'm wrong, that classics were far more appreciated by the general public.

If I had your budget, I'd have at least one Morgan in the stable.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 26, 2012, 11:12 AM

I don't know if I like them that much. There was a Clio V6 P2 for sale in Maryland for $25k a few months ago. Someone went through a lot of trouble and expense to get one over here.
I keep on seeing a blue one here with British Columbia tags. Has a great sound!

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 26, 2012, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Those hot hatches are for going around corners, dunno how much fun they'd be on American roads.
I always thought, maybe I'm wrong, that classics were far more appreciated by the general public.
If I had your budget, I'd have at least one Morgan in the stable.
I live in the foothills of the Smoky mountains, we have curvy roads that rival the best that Europe has to offer. Also there are 3 private tracks within 40 miles, and an airstrip that I can use when I want. there are a lot of driving options around here.

Morgan? Eh, no thanks. I still don't see what Hammond was going on about. Now, the Weismann Roadster MF4 and the Spyker C8 Spyder? Oh yeah, those are on the list. The Spyker could be a reality before too long, there's a C8 Spyder T sitting at a dealership not too far away; 2009, 2600mi, blue color.

5211/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
I keep on seeing a blue one here with British Columbia tags. Has a great sound!
The one I saw for sale was red/silver, I was tempted but didn't feel like going to Maryland.
- Thomas Paine

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 26, 2012, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
I'm still in love with my GTI. Not really one for excessive speeding (usually 10-15 over the limit*) but not having to slow down for corners is great fun. It's a pity I keep getting stuck behind Urban Assault Vehicles that need 200 metres of slowing down before trundling around a corner.

I've thought about buying an older slower classic, but I can't bring myself to sell my reliable, fun GTI.

*People are funny about speed limits. A Model T Ford is allowed to do the same speed as my GTI, yet if I go 5km/h over the "limit" in my acronym-loaded modern car, I'm considered an unsafe lunatic.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Aug 26, 2012, 02:51 PM

I live in the foothills of the Smoky mountains, we have curvy roads that rival the best that Europe has to offer. Also there are 3 private tracks within 40 miles, and an airstrip that I can use when I want. there are a lot of driving options around here.
Morgan? Eh, no thanks. I still don't see what Hammond was going on about. Now, the Weismann Roadster MF4 and the Spyker C8 Spyder? Oh yeah, those are on the list.
I like Morgans. 1920s/30s revival is cool in my book, even if the performance isn't what you'd get witha comparably priced car. That Wiesmann is pretty slick, though. I do like the Spyker logo. Makes you wanna drive one with a pair of old WW2 aviator goggles.

On a side note, I think Top Gear UK should have Click & Clack on their show. That'd be awesome. Maybe we should start a mail-in campaign.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 26, 2012, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
I like Morgans. 1920s/30s revival is cool in my book, even if the performance isn't what you'd get witha comparably priced car. That Wiesmann is pretty slick, though. I do like the Spyker logo. Makes you wanna drive one with a pair of old WW2 aviator goggles.
On a side note, I think Top Gear UK should have Click & Clack on their show. That'd be awesome. Maybe we should start a mail-in campaign.
I dig the Wiesmann because of the look and what's under the bonnet, basically it's an M3 under the skin, and they supposedly handle like no other. However, you can't buy them here, you can't even legally import them here because they don't have DOT approved bumpers. However, Bill Gates and Paul Allen fixed all that. How so? The wonderful "Show and Display" law. If the car is of historical and technological significance (I think they are) and is limited to 500 vehicles being produced in a model year (it is), then you just pay your processing fee, get it insured (good luck doing that with a conventional agency), and register it. Easy-peasy! Sort of. Okay, it is a PITA, but it can be done. So, I checked and the base Wiesmann MF3 Roadster, plus the few add-ons that I'd want, costs ~£70k. Then, you pay to have it shipped across the pond, which is $4k, fees are $3k, and then to have it delivered to my home, $1,500. Lock, stock, and barrel, it's $120k. Is it worth it?

5212/width/350/height/700[/IMG]5213/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

Ya know, I'm thinking it very well could be. *drool*

Tom and Ray on Top Gear? Make them the stars in the reasonably priced car. That would be a riot.
- Thomas Paine

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Aug 26, 2012, 09:46 PM

I dig the Wiesmann because of the look and what's under the bonnet, basically it's an M3 under the skin, and they supposedly handle like no other. However, you can't buy them here, you can't even legally import them here because they don't have DOT approved bumpers. However, Bill Gates and Paul Allen fixed all that. How so? The wonderful "Show and Display" law. If the car is of historical and technological significance (I think they are) and is limited to 500 vehicles being produced in a model year (it is), then you just pay your processing fee, get it insured (good luck doing that with a conventional agency), and register it. Easy-peasy! Sort of. Okay, it is a PITA, but it can be done. So, I checked and the base Wiesmann MF3 Roadster, plus the few add-ons that I'd want, costs ~£70k. Then, you pay to have it shipped across the pond, which is $4k, fees are $3k, and then to have it delivered to my home, $1,500. Lock, stock, and barrel, it's $120k. Is it worth it?
I think Jay Leno also had a big hand in getting the law passed. At least, I remember reading about it in Popular Mechanics.

Is it worth it? Hmm. You're technically limited to 2,500 miles a year with a Show & Display tag. You'd have to be really careful not to get a ticket if you use it for anything more than a weekend car. I'd hate to see what would happen to it in the impound lot. I have visions of Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

What I think you should do is call the company and see if they have a dealer in Canada. There's a gray market import law that allows a Canadian dealer to sign off on the vehicle if it meets TC requirements. TC and DOT have very similar restrictions, and vehicles are generally legal in both countries if they meet either/or testing requirements. They just sign off on it, and it's now legal.

My dad did something similar with his Porsche. He bought it in Germany before the car was even released in the U.S. Had it shipped through Oakland, then dropped it off at the dealer. Porsche replaced a few parts to make it U.S. legal. I think it's a normal service they now offer if you can't wait for the next Porsche model to meet DOT testing.

Tom and Ray on Top Gear? Make them the stars in the reasonably priced car. That would be a riot.
I just sent out a letter to Top Gear UK. I sure hope so.

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2012, 12:14 AM

Unfortunately, it isn't legal in Canada either, or that would be a good idea. Well, to be honest, I seriously doubt I'd put 2,500 miles /yr on it. Also, there's no way of them knowing if those miles are from driving public roads or private tracks and property. A friend of mine in Atlanta imported a Noble M15 that way and no one has even bothered to check in on him at all. Really, it sounds like the only way, short of having it stripped down and shipped over in small boxes. I'll get my legal eagles to look into this and see what's what. It'll be a little while though, no rush. I've burned through enough cash in the last month, the check to Gooding and Co was a sobering experience.
- Thomas Paine

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Aug 27, 2012, 07:37 AM

THAT's not a hot Renault Hatch. THIS is a hot Renault hatch.

5221/width/350/height/700[/IMG]
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

andi*pandi
Aug 27, 2012, 09:57 AM

THAT, is gorgeous.

Tom and Ray on Top Gear: inspired.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 27, 2012, 10:52 AM

That Wiesmann looks great, sort of reminds me of a TVR my uncle had. Think it was the Tuscan. POS is what he said to me after getting rid of it.

Dunno what the Golf GTI is like, but the same uncle had a Ford Escort Cosworth and that was amazing around corners. Like rails.

knifecarrier2
Baninated
Aug 27, 2012, 07:58 PM

I like real car people. The ones that build shit themselves instead of just being rich and buying a bunch of stuff to pretend to be cool like real car people. Just sayin. Met loads o' mates that swap engines and weld and grind and paint, and all were cooler than the rich collector types that just buy "typical" collector cars. Get something weird and work on it yourself and you'll have my respect. Til then, keep on doing whatever. I don't really care.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2012, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by knifecarrier2 View Post
I like real car people. The ones that build shit themselves instead of just being rich and buying a bunch of stuff to pretend to be cool like real car people. Just sayin. Met loads o' mates that swap engines and weld and grind and paint, and all were cooler than the rich collector types that just buy "typical" collector cars. Get something weird and work on it yourself and you'll have my respect. Til then, keep on doing whatever. I don't really care.
I have a Toyota Corolla, is that cool?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 27, 2012, 08:28 PM

As long as you enjoy driving, aren't you a car person? Not exactly everyone has the time/know-how/opportunity to do things like engine swaps and do their own paint. However, everyone has the time to enjoy their daily drive and make the most out of it. In my mind that's what makes someone a car person. And you can have fun in any car, in my experience.

I do agree with you that people who tend to just build up car collections aren't really enthusiasts though. My grandfather owns fourteen cars, from a DB5 to the new 997, and he rarely, if ever drives any of them more than a couple hundred miles a year. He spends a lot of time working on them, but never really enjoying them on the road (though due to severe arthritis in his wrist, he has issues driving stick shift anymore).If you aren't going to drive your cars, it's pointless IMO.

knifecarrier2
Baninated
Aug 27, 2012, 09:03 PM

No. Just as some people enjoy just CONSUMING movies/music/photos/stuff and others CREATE, there are the two types of people in the car universe. The people who just consume, and the people who create and consume. Ever seen "Two Lane Blacktop"? The two younger cars were car guys. The old fart in the GTO? Meh. Just some douche.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2012, 09:17 PM

What do you guys think of this car?

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2012, 09:36 PM

"Real" car people... hmm. If I ever see Jay Kay again I'll make sure and break the bad news to him, fake bastard.

I'd say both groups are "real" petrolheads, one just has more resources. FWIW, I'm still working on my `71 MGB, by myself, when I have the time. The body is in great shape, and the interior is good too, the main problem is that the previous owner didn't know he was losing oil, busted gauge, and it went boom. So, it's almost a full rebuild; rods, rod bearings, crank, oil pump, pistons, all shot. She was a quick little car, the engine had already been converted to dual Webers and a larger cam. Overall displacement had been increased to 2l with a power boost to 120bhp and 125 torques (up from 92/110). It's been a fun project and when I'm done I'll probably use it as my little runabout.

I paid $5k for it and I figure I'll have an additional $2k in it by the time I'm done, that is unless I decide to ditch the mustard yellow and go BRG (very likely).

5226/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

So, yeah, judging books by covers and all that stuff.
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2012, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
As long as you enjoy driving, aren't you a car person? Not exactly everyone has the time/know-how/opportunity to do things like engine swaps and do their own paint. However, everyone has the time to enjoy their daily drive and make the most out of it. In my mind that's what makes someone a car person. And you can have fun in any car, in my experience.
I do agree with you that people who tend to just build up car collections aren't really enthusiasts though. My grandfather owns fourteen cars, from a DB5 to the new 997, and he rarely, if ever drives any of them more than a couple hundred miles a year. He spends a lot of time working on them, but never really enjoying them on the road (though due to severe arthritis in his wrist, he has issues driving stick shift anymore).If you aren't going to drive your cars, it's pointless IMO.
I like collecting `em, working on `em, and driving `em. I've done all the work on my Bronco, including rebuilding and modifying the engine (351 Cleveland). The E-type isn't bad to mess with, though I did have most of the electronics updated it's still pretty basic. There's nothing complicated about the T-bird either. But, I'm not going to monkey around too much with the newer cars, those are beyond my pay grade.
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 28, 2012, 01:41 PM

Okay, more impressions.

The XK Jaguar is bonkers. The handling and acceleration are what you'd expect from a modern sports car, but you get the beautiful 50s styling. It's a replica of the LT-1, and this particular car uses an original XK120 frame and has a custom built all aluminum body. She has some serious hardware underneath too; purpose-built 3.5L I-6, triple Weber 45 DCOE carbs, close-ratio 5-speed manual, big ceramic disc brakes, and adjustable 4 wheel independent suspension.

5242/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

I took it down to the shop today for a checkup, and after a few carb adjustments it produced 319bhp @6500 RPM on their dyno. Afterward my mechanic and I took it out, running around the back roads. I like a decent amount of oversteer and it sure has it. The sound can be characterized as an angry tenor, with a healthy burble when you let up off the throttle. We passed through a tunnel, about a 1/4 mile long, and it was so awesome that we turned around and went through it again. Then a little later, as we're cruising along, we're pulled over by my friend Adam, a county deputy, and he checks it out. Then he gets on the phone and calls a buddy to come look at it too, and before long we had 5 cruisers parked with us on an old service station lot; hood off, motor running, and all of us standing around it talking, it probably looked like a crime scene.
- Thomas Paine

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 28, 2012, 03:35 PM

So, I checked and the base Wiesmann MF3 Roadster, plus the few add-ons that I'd want, costs ~£70k. Then, you pay to have it shipped across the pond, which is $4k, fees are $3k, and then to have it delivered to my home, $1,500. Lock, stock, and barrel, it's $120k. Is it worth it?

Ya know, I'm thinking it very well could be. *drool*
Lose the tacky paint job, though. That's seriously hideous.

There are a couple Wiesmanns here in Hamburg, and I see one every once in a while.

Ivory white is definitely the color for these cabriolets. Just gorgeous.

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 28, 2012, 06:19 PM

The gold is what my wife is lobbying for:

5246/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

I can't say I'm into that, but a darker bronze would be good. Here's a die-cast model someone made, nice detail.

5249/width/350/height/700[/IMG]
- Thomas Paine

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 29, 2012, 01:46 AM

I don't really care.
You make that pretty clear. Sounds like a "No true Scotsman" fallacy to me.

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2012, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
You make that pretty clear. Sounds like a "No true Scotsman" fallacy to me.
Yep. You're spot-on. There are people who simply aren't mechanically inclined, but they love to drive and can store car info like a walking database. My friend Brian's like that, he's totally inept at service and repair, but he can tell you all the engine specs of every car the Italians have ever made. Personally, some things I drop off with the mechanic, others I like doing myself. In fact, today Emma and I came down to the garage here and to work on the MGB. Well, she's creeping/crawling around in her playpen and I'm working on it. We are doing a lot of talking back and forth, though. I may have it running by tonight, if I get back to work and stop letting myself get distracted. Putting a computer out here may not have been the best idea I ever had, if I want to get any real work done.

Anyway, petrolhead elitism is rubbish and tantamount to bigotry and sexism. "Car people" come in all shapes and sizes (and levels of ability). Thinking otherwise doesn't make you more of an enthusiast, it makes you a snob.

Edit: Oh, and I'm pumped that they're actually going to put the Nissan Juke-R into production. Absolutely the most ballistic hot hatch of all time.

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cu_usjjvg-o[/VIDEO]
- Thomas Paine

knifecarrier2
Baninated
Aug 29, 2012, 12:43 PM

See... just no. The Juke is one of the ugliest ****ing things ever, after the Aztek, and at least the Aztek had some innovative utility to it. The Juke is basically the vehicular version of the Emperor's new clothes... gullible people get tricked into thinking that that amount of ugly is somehow cool or quirky. It isn't. It's a boring crossover with terrible styling. Adding a GTR drivetrain is just a marketing exercise to trick more people into thinking it's cool.

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2012, 01:01 PM

I didn't say I was interested in one, just that it's cool they're putting a few up for sale. Most times when something that crazy is shown it never goes into production, like the Golf W12. Regardless of what you think about looks, which is entirely subjective, from a technical standpoint it's pretty badass.

Now, $500k for it? IMO, that's absurd.
- Thomas Paine

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 29, 2012, 03:24 PM

I don't like the Nissan Juke at all, but I'm glad it exists. Why? Because it's different. It takes risks. I admire that about it. I'll never say it's pretty, but I respect Nissan for putting it out there. They could have made any bland little "crossover" and it would have sold a bajillion, but they decided to take a risk. If you've ever been in one, there really isn't anything going for this car except that it's different than all the rest. It's cramped, has poor fit and finish, and has worse visibility than any sports car. But that's fine with me. I like that it exists to be a bonkers looking car, and that Nissan are making a mental version of it. Personally, I'd never buy one, but I also don't want to live in a world without it.

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2012, 03:37 PM

The Juke wasn't specifically what I was talking about really, just the R special edition. I think it's cool one of the big auto makers finally decided to produce one of their hatchback skunk-works projects. Many kudos to Nissan.

Oh, and "it's alive"! Or, it was for about 5 seconds. Now I have to screw with the timing and do some carb adjustments, then I button her up.
- Thomas Paine

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 29, 2012, 06:11 PM

The Juke wasn't specifically what I was talking about really, just the R special edition. I think it's cool one of the big auto makers finally decided to produce one of their hatchback skunk-works projects. Many kudos to Nissan.
Yes, I think that's cool too. But in general I think the Juke deserves some credit for not being like every other boring lifted compact sedan trying to be a SUV.

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2012, 09:20 PM

Too many interruptions and I needed to help with dinner, I may try to make my way out there tonight to work on the car, but I'll probably just wait `til tomorrow. Interesting notes here from my work: it had already been bored +.060 (1868cc) with Cosworth pistons (the previous owner didn't have a clue), has the later alu "big valve" head, the dual Weber setup is a tricky little sucker.

I don't think the Juke is all bad, but it does spark some severe reactions both ways. In near every case people either love it or hate it. I think Rob doesn't like it because it triggers his anti-SUV gag reflex.
- Thomas Paine

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2012, 09:35 PM

I don't mind the SUV-ness.

I just think it's ****ing hideous.

andi*pandi
Aug 30, 2012, 07:17 AM

Agreed it is hideous. The visibility must be horrible also.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 30, 2012, 08:03 AM

Current Nissan design language is a weird one. IMHO its best designs were the 2002 Primera and the super cute 2003 Micra.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 30, 2012, 11:19 AM

Dunno if it has anything to do with the Nissan-Renault link, but the last generation of Renaults weren't pretty either. Wonder if they share design bureaus or something.

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 31, 2012, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
I don't mind the SUV-ness.
I just think it's ****ing hideous.

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Agreed it is hideous. The visibility must be horrible also.
Agreed, they're fugly. However, I'm glad the R type Juke is being built and hope it sells well. Then other makers may take a chance and put their wild concept cars into production.

I'm really digging the new 991 revision of the 911 Turbo. The body lines are much improved, more fluid and muscular looking. One of the dealers near me has a black on black Turbo S in stock, I'm thinking I need to go for a test drive.

5304/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

Also, got the MGB running yesterday, but having minor carb problems (I assume). It runs fairly well, but it doesn't want to idle properly. I'm going to drive it to mechanic Danny and see if he can help. Other than that, it's all back in order. Maybe I'll just do both, get him to look it over and then go check out the Porsche.
- Thomas Paine

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 31, 2012, 07:50 AM

Putting a computer out here may not have been the best idea I ever had, if I want to get any real work done.
I converted all of my motorcycle repair manuals to PDFs and put them on a computer in the garage. Between those, automotive forums, and Pandora the computer keeps me productive.

Anyway, petrolhead elitism is rubbish and tantamount to bigotry and sexism. "Car people" come in all shapes and sizes (and levels of ability). Thinking otherwise doesn't make you more of an enthusiast, it makes you a snob.

"I'm poor and can't afford a nice car so I have to rationalize a way to feel superior to those that can actually afford nice cars."

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 31, 2012, 10:00 AM

Also, got the MGB running yesterday, but having minor carb problems (I assume). It runs fairly well, but it doesn't want to idle properly. I'm going to drive it to mechanic Danny and see if he can help.
I've heard from a family friend who resto's MGs exclusively and he said that British cars never run well over here, the air just isn't damp enough

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Aug 31, 2012, 11:14 AM

Ugh. The Juke is ugly. Not as ugly as the Cube, mind you. Didn't think anything would be worse than the Aztec, then I saw a Cube.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Aug 31, 2012, 11:17 AM

Jay Leno is as rich as you can be, and he works on cars all the time. He has a huge collection of really, really cool vintage cars, including some extremely rare (as in hen's teeth) steam powered vehicles. Only 1 or 2 in the whole world. His collection grew so big he had to hire a mechanic because he couldn't keep up with the maintenance. He also writes for Popular Mechanics. He knows his stuff.

andi*pandi
Aug 31, 2012, 12:09 PM

The Cube is kind of cute.

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 31, 2012, 04:05 PM

Took the car to the shop and he showed me the problem and we synchronized the carbs. He was surprised I made it to the garage the way it was. Oh well, live and learn, it was my first multi-carb rebuild. Now it runs great and idles like it should. I'm really liking the way it drives, it's a fun little car and has a cool sound. It's similar to this, though not quite as loud.

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u14GrOrQyUc[/VIDEO]

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
I've heard from a family friend who resto's MGs exclusively and he said that British cars never run well over here, the air just isn't damp enough

Bollocks. She runs fine, I just have to remember to allow an extra 2-3 hours of travel time, in case she decides to randomly stop running and take a siesta. That's true Midlands quality, right there.

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
Jay Leno is as rich as you can be, and he works on cars all the time. He has a huge collection of really, really cool vintage cars, including some extremely rare (as in hen's teeth) steam powered vehicles. Only 1 or 2 in the whole world. His collection grew so big he had to hire a mechanic because he couldn't keep up with the maintenance. He also writes for Popular Mechanics. He knows his stuff.

Exactly. Leno knows his stuff. I have no doubt he could work as a successful mechanic if he, you know, weren't already a billionaire TV deity.

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post

"I'm poor and can't afford a nice car so I have to rationalize a way to feel superior to those that can actually afford nice cars."

That's really the bottom line, isn't it?

"You just buy cars, you're not a real car guy!"
"Well, actually I like to work on them too."
"But they aren't real car guy cars!"

I guess the MG owners clubs will be crushed to know they're doing it wrong. Whatever.
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 1, 2012, 01:46 AM

Oh, I called the dealer to make sure the 911 in question was still there, it is, and now I have an *appointment* at the Porsche salon to test drive the Turbo S later today. For real? That's right. You apparently cannot walk in off the street and try one. In fact, you can't walk in and sit in it, or even breathe on it. It's roped off in the showroom, locked up tight as a drum with the alarm on. You'd think it was a Bugatti instead of being a fancy Beetle. I guess I should wear some nice jeans and a clean t-shirt when I go, the pants I wore yesterday had holes in them and my wife-beater had grease smudges on the front. What do you expect? I was mechanicking all morning.

Also, they asked for my SSN over the phone, I assume to verify that I can even purchase the car. I declined, telling them I don't give anyone that number, and especially not over the phone, which is true. The sales guy acted like he was going to start getting irritated with me, but I told him they can hold the title to my Gallardo, which will be parked there, if that makes them feel better. Then suddenly he became very friendly again.
- Thomas Paine

Forum Links
Forum Rules