Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Trackpad Gestures

Trackpad Gestures
ghporter
Administrator
Dec 19, 2009, 01:15 PM

I have a Core Duo MBP, and I think I had at one time the ability to use gestures with my browser. I can't find settings for that sort of thing (page back, page forward) anywhere. Am I misremembering, or is this stuff just somewhere I have forgotten how to find?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 19, 2009, 03:51 PM

As in three finger swipes to the left or right to go forward and back? That wasn't a feature of the Core Duo MBP, but there may be some hack to accomplish that.

EndlessMac
Senior User
Dec 19, 2009, 06:35 PM

I don't think there are actually user changeable settings for browser gestures. It seems that you either turn them on or off in your Mac's universal OS System Preference settings.

The reason I say this is because there were a few times when gestures stopped working and I was trying to find other places to turn them on and off besides the System Preferences. I wasn't able to find it so if anyone else can then I would be interested also. The only way I was able to fix the problem was to restart my computer and my gestures started working again.

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
Dec 19, 2009, 11:08 PM

I've rediscovered that on my MBP if I hold the alt/option key down, a two-finger sweep right to left will go back one page, and a two-finger sweep to left to right goes one page forward. Using my Magic Mouse on my iMac seems to have spoiled me to the gestures it does.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

EndlessMac
Senior User
Dec 20, 2009, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Using my Magic Mouse on my iMac seems to have spoiled me to the gestures it does.
I can say the same thing with my uni-body MBP trackpad. I use the 3 finger side to side swipe to go back and forward on webpages. I then also use the 3 finger swipe up and down to go to the top of the page or to the bottom of the page. I also really like the 360 degree scroll with 2 fingers. I've gotten so used to all this so fast that I do find it annoying going back to laptops that don't have this feature.

tonton
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 2, 2010, 05:53 PM

In addition to adding fully configurable gestures and tracking speed to the Magic Mouse, Better Touch Tool also gives you fully configurable gestures for your multi-touch trackpad. It's actually pretty awesome.
��n+�N

Got Vurt? Jeff Noon

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 2, 2010, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I've rediscovered that on my MBP if I hold the alt/option key down, a two-finger sweep right to left will go back one page, and a two-finger sweep to left to right goes one page forward.
Weird. Doesn't work for me.

I get the same result with three finger swipes, as explained in Preferences - Trackpad.

-t

EndlessMac
Senior User
Jan 2, 2010, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Weird. Doesn't work for me.
I've noticed that it works in Firefox but not in Safari. Safari also doesn't allow me to do the 3 finger go to top/bottom of page gesture, but it does the 3 finger side to side for back/forth.

Forum Links
Forum Rules