Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > OS X.1 Free upgrade?

OS X.1 Free upgrade?
acidchicken
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 29, 2001, 01:23 AM

Is OS X.1 going to be a free upgrade if I buy the ibook now. Thanks.
WWF rules

Ryu
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 29, 2001, 07:45 AM

Originally posted by acidchicken:
<STRONG>Is OS X.1 going to be a free upgrade if I buy the ibook now. Thanks. </STRONG>
No. According to an Apple employee I talked to, the reason why Apple will chage us for the update is that the files to be installed are too numerous and big. Basically, they are charging for the CD production and delivery. $20 is not that much. I think I can handle it.

Anway, if you're expecting to buy an iBook, buy it now... waiting another month to save up $20 is pretty stupid.

JudiS217
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 29, 2001, 07:50 AM

Probably not.

People who buy the boxed 10.0.x now aren't promised anything either, as far as I know. The Mac up to Date will probably only kick in once they start shipping machines with 10.1 installed and you buy one without it.

I'm waiting for my free 10.0.x CD to arrive from Apple since we purchased two iBooks last week and neither came with OS X. I expect that by the time it gets here, it will be time to get 10.1.

<ae>
Jul 29, 2001, 09:11 AM

mac os x.1 is not going to be a free upgrade. The install takes up about 1.1 gigabytes (according to the Puma 5F24 installer) and it seems it is a complete remake of X. I guess all of that optimization couldn't just be put into one upgrade.

mike one
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 29, 2001, 10:58 AM

ok, what has been posted here is ONLY speculation.

It is quite possible that apple will put the update on the web. sources say around 135MB. for most that will be too much to download (duh) so apple may offer the update for a "nominal" fee of $20 to cover pressing and shipping.

look at apple's history, when if ever have 0.1 updates ever costed users anything. e.g. 8.0 to 8.1 free, 8.5 to 8.6 free, 9.0 to 9.1 free, see the trend? i forget if 7.5.5 to 7.6 was free or not, but that was a long time ago, under different management too, so the answer has little bearing on what apple would do now.

also this post should be in the OSX forum, where this issue has already been talked to death. go look there. : )

Ryu
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 29, 2001, 11:10 AM

Originally posted by mike one:
<STRONG>ok, what has been posted here is ONLY speculation.

It is quite possible that apple will put the update on the web. sources say around 135MB. for most that will be too much to download (duh) so apple may offer the update for a "nominal" fee of $20 to cover pressing and shipping.

look at apple's history, when if ever have 0.1 updates ever costed users anything. e.g. 8.0 to 8.1 free, 8.5 to 8.6 free, 9.0 to 9.1 free, see the trend? i forget if 7.5.5 to 7.6 was free or not, but that was a long time ago, under different management too, so the answer has little bearing on what apple would do now.

also this post should be in the OSX forum, where this issue has already been talked to death. go look there. : )</STRONG>
Actually, I got the answer by calling Apple Store. The Apple employee said that when Apple charges you $20 for the upgrade, we should consider it free because there is no profit whatsoever for Apple. I would believe it if it costs somewhere around $10 but who cares... $20 is nothing compared to the price I am ready to pay to get a workable MacOSX.

maclove
Jul 29, 2001, 09:50 PM

Well got to put my 2 cents in... OS X.1 should be free I paid $$$ for X we should get this update free....

Love your Mac...

Forum Links
Forum Rules