Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The Walking Dead

The Walking Dead (Page 3)
ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2011, 12:46 PM

Any update now that the second season is here? Have people been following? Did it get better, worse, more of the same?

[Zombie thread!!1!]
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2011, 01:42 PM

I am watching it. My verdict is "more of the same." It is slow paced, and I wish they would do more.... things. Human drama is not necessarily a waste of time, but what they've got going on here is not good human drama. The zombie parts satisfy me, but I just wish there were more of them.

Thorzdad
Nov 14, 2011, 01:56 PM

I forgot that it was back, but I doubt I'll take a look. I lost a lot of interest toward the end of the first season and the long layover didn't do anything to pique what interest I might still have.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2011, 07:03 PM

Well first of all, it's not necessarily "The Walking Dead" anymore, because the zombies are also joggers now, so it could equally be called "The Jogging Dead".

Which is strange, because this means the zombies should easily outpace the plodding script - it's essentially become Days of Our Lives With Zombies. If zombies never tire (as was stated in S2E2), then why don't they just jog everywhere? Surely hoards of jogging zombies would score vastly greater numbers of the highly sought after braiinsss?

And why stop at jogging? Sprinting zombies, hurdling zombies, pole-vaulting zombies, javelin throwing zombies? I'd like to see a zombie pursuit involving a triathlon. The bike stage would be awesome.

Considering the last three plodding episodes have been based on a remote farm (and Jesus and apple pie), I'd imagine a sustained Zombie Heptathlon Attack could be quite successful.

And don't think the irony of praying to the Original Zombie is lost on me. Now, if Jogging Zombie Jesus is going to run in and save the day, then terrific! Or if you want to seriously explore the test-of-faith struggle in a recently zombified nation, go right ahead. But to superficially throw in atheists suddenly praying to Jesus after loved ones, good and bad, have turned into animated corpses, well... it's just sodding stupid and insulting to atheists.

In fact, the soap-opera-ish "drama" is so terrible that for the last two episodes I've started cheering for the undead (between fast-forwarding through the crap). I'm working on the theory that the zombies can smell, and are attracted to, melodramatic bullshit, and now I want these whiny bitches dead too. I want them to suffer like I'm suffering. Dismemberment and being turned into zombie poo is too good for these characters. We need Clive Barker in here to inflict some serious eternal damnation.

Zombie empathy - who'dathunkit?

I've started watching, so I'm going to finish (damnit!), but this is even worse than the last series of Torchwood (another show about the undead that sapped my will to live).

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 14, 2011, 07:36 PM

I've missed the last two episodes but you are only mirroring what I've heard about the latest episodes.

I'd be happy if they ditched all the melodramatic self-important characters and just made the show about Daryl killing zombies with his crossbow, he is easily my favorite character.

Captain Obvious  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 16, 2011, 07:42 AM

I had planned to watch season 2 after i watched the finale but then someone gave me the DVD set as a gift and I rewatched the first season. I missed some things in my first viewing that I caught on the DVDs which made me hate the franchise.

Namely: some zombies had excellent motor-skills and a semblance of human intelligence. If in this world a zombie can open a door knob or pick up rocks and sticks to use as tools then half the fun of watching the genera is gone. If the producers went that far then the damned things may as well as pick up guns and fly planes so they can hunt the remaining human survivors.
What makes them so menacing or dangerous in movies is that the zombies kill out of pure unthinking animal instinct. They just do it and do it with unending unwavering relentlessness or strategy. If they can't get through a door they keep at it forever even if they wear their limbs down to nubs. They aren't supposed to be clever or solve obstacles put in front of them. At that point I may as well watch a slasher flick.

I cringed that some can run. And I was annoyed by the character's over the top personal drama. But I just couldn't forgive that they were intelligent enough to smash through windows and fences by hurling a log though them.

I am done with making an effort to watch this show. I will wait to see what Brangelina does with WWZ before I revisit this genera again. I am still hoping someone somewhere picks up the option to make 28 Months
( Last edited by Captain Obvious; Nov 16, 2011 at 08:14 AM. )

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 16, 2011, 08:00 AM

Why do zombies never want to eat each other?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2011, 02:55 PM

They crave living flesh. Zombies are dead.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2011, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
Namely: some zombies had excellent motor-skills and a semblance of human intelligence. If in this world a zombie can open a door knob or pick up rocks and sticks to use as tools then half the fun of watching the genera is gone. If the producers went that far then the damned things may as well as pick up guns and fly planes so they can hunt the remaining human survivors.
I only watched it once, so you probably know better than me, but what door knobs and what sticks? I remember the mom wandering the street who sometimes tried to open what used to be her own front door. But as I recall, she never managed to do it. What's wrong with "muscle memory?" I don't remember them using tools to break windows, I only remember the combined force of a mob of them pressing against flimsy barriers etc. Maybe you can refresh my memory.

Anyway, I'm surprised to see the notion of zombie "skills" or growth be unworthy of the genre, after the book version of "I am Legend," and the Heston adaptation "The Omega Man," which I was under the impression were accepted zombie genre mainstays. In those stories, there was selection among zombies to ultimately create a new society of functional zombie people, by comparison to which the last human was now a monster. They had both intelligence and skills. This also fits the zombie mantra that zombie movies are less about the zombies themselves and more about how humanity is reflected by them or in reaction to them. Anyway, I think there's potential for a good zombie story even with skilled, intelligent or emotionally developing zombies. As for whether that's happening here, they haven't shown us it has, but I don't think it's out of the question.

I cringed that some can run. And I was annoyed by the character's over the top personal drama. But I just couldn't forgive that they were intelligent enough to smash through windows and fences by hurling a log though them.
This one I'm not remembering, when did it happen?

Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2011, 03:50 PM

Zombies aren't real, correct? So why are there so many rules to determine if a zombie story is worthy of being good? I agree with Uncle Skeleton that zombie stories are more about how humanity is reflected in the given situations. I really enjoy the zombie genre, but I've never decided to hate a movie/tv show/story because the zombies didn't act in a certain way.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 16, 2011, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
They crave living flesh. Zombies are dead.
This is a more detailed description of the behaviour, not an explanation of it.

What are the chemical differences? If you eat living flesh, it dies pretty quickly.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2011, 05:42 PM

I am not versed in zombology enough to know the answer to that one.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2011, 05:55 PM

I thought it was more like fresh vs rotting than alive vs dead. Most animals can tell the difference between fresh meat and not fresh, and prefer fresh, so I don't find it too far-fetched, even if the real reason is as a plot/premise advancement.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 16, 2011, 06:19 PM

Then if you accept that, the assumption follows that it should be possible to starve a zombie (to death?). No?

I always enjoyed the more modern attempts to explain the traditional beasts like the vampire viruses from Blade or 28.....Later. Somehow zombies have never quite been able to add up believably. Maybe if you used some kind of advanced nanotechnology fuelled by fresh flesh and a primitive nanobot hive mind (local to each zombie). Maybe there could be some protein that the nannies can't sustain for too long and hence they require fresh meat to harvest it from before it all breaks down too far and their host collapses.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Nov 16, 2011, 06:29 PM

In 28 Days Later they weren't dead, and in my opinion, not really zombies. The people infected with Rage could still starve to death.

How about a bacteria that keeps certain parts of the brain alive and functioning? It needs to eat "live" brains to get some sort of nutrition that the bacteria needs to survive. The byproduct of the bacteria protects the muscle tissue from necrosis and atrophy.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2011, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Then if you accept that, the assumption follows that it should be possible to starve a zombie (to death?). No?
They crave flesh, and they are fueled by something, but those two facts aren't necessarily connected. The craving for flesh might be a residual animal instinct, turned on by accident when the pathogen does whatever it does, and not something that furthers the pathogen or host's existence (or it might be the goal of the pathogen, but not for powering the host; the pathogen keeps the host going through other means, regardless of success or failure in collecting flesh for the pathogen).

Most animal cravings are optimally matched to what the animal actually needs in order to keep on running. But that is because of evolution, and this pathogen, whatever it is, presumably didn't evolve in humans.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 16, 2011, 08:54 PM

But if the craving is to bite things that look human and doesn't provide essential nutrition or raw materials and zombies are stupid, they'd bite each other.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2011, 09:06 PM

I think the craving is to bite fresh meat, human or otherwise. Recently there was a zombie with an intact gopher skull (or similar) in its stomach. How it managed to swallow a gopher head whole remains a mystery, but I think it's been established that they'll eat anything that's alive, and other zombies are not alive.

I think I remember one time a deer came into the human's camp, and some zombies started eating it, and Darryl complained that he was hunting that deer and now they couldn't eat it because it was all zombied up. Right? So we also know they eat deer, if they can catch it.

gradient
Mac Elite
Nov 16, 2011, 11:24 PM

I wasn't a huge fan of the first season, though I did watch it all the way through. My biggest gripe was the terrible writing which resulted in clumsy dialogue that ended up making the acting performances seem poor as well. The second season, imo, is a totally different story, though - it's much better written and has me thoroughly engaged, as we're actually seeing characters develop which is refreshing. The direction is also much more intelligent this season; it's still not the greatest show on TV but that's a bit much to ask.

Personally, I couldn't care less about any "rules" that geekdom has applied to the zombie genre. This is a damned good TV show.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 17, 2011, 01:17 PM

The TV show is OK, but not as interesting as last season's episodes. They seemed to have a goal last season. This season, they are just going through the motions of not getting eaten. Not as intresting.

I have not read the comic book, so I have no idea if these plots are going anywhere:
Where is Merle? he cut off his hand in season one to escape, but we haven't seen him yet.
What happened to the little girl? She failed to follow instructions and is now "lost". How long can she go without them?

Whate else is left? The character development is stalled and going nowhere.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 30, 2011, 12:47 AM

The season 2 mid-season finale was totally awesome. It definitely made up for the meandering story line in the last part of the season. In fact, it even justified most of that meandering story line. Kudos to the writers.

P.S. I like the meaty down-home look for Lauren Cohan, more than the thin starlet version. Perfect for this farmer's daughter role.

( Last edited by Eug; Nov 30, 2011 at 01:10 AM. )

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2011, 12:27 PM

Yeah it was. I knew things were going to come to a head. But I must say I didn't think it would go down like that!

OAW

finboy
Dec 1, 2011, 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post
The TV show is OK, but not as interesting as last season's episodes. They seemed to have a goal last season.

The character development is stalled and going nowhere.
When I got home tonight my wife read me the synopsis of the last episode. Boy, I'm sure glad I didn't waste my time watching the last two or three, the outcome would really piss me off.

I'll wait until they're done so I can fast forward through all of the bad acting and get to the last five minutes of every show, which is when everything happens anyway. What a tremendous waste of a good idea, what a waste of a strong, ready-made fan base. Stupid.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 1, 2011, 11:35 AM

Nah, after watching that last episode, my faith in the show is restored. In fact I think the last few episodes, while at the time appearing to meander a bit, set up the last episode perfectly.

IMO it was a mistake for you to go through the synopsis of the last episode before watching it and the prior episodes. That would ruin everything.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 1, 2011, 12:44 PM

The last episode's last 5 minutes was great. I was surprised, shocked, and also relieved at the outcome. It would have sucked to have been spoiled.

No new episodes until Feb, though. I won't be watching the reruns.
( Last edited by Eriamjh; Dec 5, 2011 at 06:59 PM. )

finboy
Dec 1, 2011, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Nah, after watching that last episode, my faith in the show is restored. In fact I think the last few episodes, while at the time appearing to meander a bit, set up the last episode perfectly.

IMO it was a mistake for you to go through the synopsis of the last episode before watching it and the prior episodes. That would ruin everything.
If I could have read the synopsis before watching any of the 2nd season episodes after the first one, I could have those hours back now. I'm sure how that would "ruin" anything.

I used to like the show too. It's turning out to be another BSG - no place to go, so they grind away on trivialities. The poor acting is because there's no "big idea" that the actors can sink their teeth into. IOW it's a writing problem and not an acting problem.

There's been a zombie apocalypse, so let's spend our time worrying about people our personal inadequacies and interpersonal relationships. Not likely. More like "keep moving, we could all die tomorrow." But again, overwrought and misplaced drama is far cheaper to shoot than action and/or location.

It may be a production problem - fewer locations mean cheaper to shoot. Maybe the grind for bucks just wore them down.

finboy
Dec 1, 2011, 04:00 PM

I won't be watching the reruns.
And that says it all, doesn't it?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 2, 2011, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by finboy View Post
If I could have read the synopsis before watching any of the 2nd season episodes after the first one, I could have those hours back now. I'm sure how that would "ruin" anything.
That's because you've already ruined it. The prior couple of episodes are a decent set up for it, but now they're totally irrelevant because you know the outcome.

I won't be watching the reruns either, but I think the show is great.

The show, although great, does not work as well as isolated episodes. I tend to watch reruns when the episodes stand on their own well. eg. The original Star Trek, or The Flintstones.

Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2011, 01:03 PM

I'll wait until they're done so I can fast forward through all of the bad acting and get to the last five minutes of every show, which is when everything happens anyway. What a tremendous waste of a good idea, what a waste of a strong, ready-made fan base. Stupid.
Why would you even bother going back and fast forwarding to the last 5 minutes? You know what happens already. Talk about a waste of time.

All TV shows have periods where it meanders, even full seasons where things get slow. This was just a few episodes, and now things at least seem to be picking back up. Granted, we have to wait to see what happens with the 2nd half of the season. I just hope they finally get off that damn farm. It was the thing that slowed the series down a lot. While I too was getting impatient with the character development episodes, I still have hope that it was a set up for much more exciting episodes to come.

And damn, I really don't like this practice of splitting the season up and taking a long break in the middle. I understand the network's point of view (money), but for the viewer, it just kills the momentum of the show (at least for me).

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2011, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
All TV shows have periods where it meanders, even full seasons where things get slow.
Suffering from Game of Thrones withdrawals, I watched the recent Camelot TV series. It also was overly melodramatic bordering on soap opera, yet I wasn't bored in the slightest. It had me wondering what the difference was between it and The Walking Dead.

My conclusion? Breasts. Big naked jiggly breasts.

If The Walking Dead had more breasts this thread would be entirely different. As it is, this series seems kinda... flat.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 5, 2011, 06:59 PM

Like BSG, I don't find them exciting enough to rewatch. Too boring. Interesting the first time, but...
( Last edited by Eriamjh; Dec 5, 2011 at 07:15 PM. )

finboy
Dec 6, 2011, 10:36 AM

The last episode's last 5 minutes was great. I was surprised, shocked, and also relieved at the outcome. It would have sucked to have been spoiled.

No new episodes until Feb, though. I won't be watching the reruns.
Nothing ever happens except in the first 5 minutes and the last 5 minutes. The 32 minutes in between is close ups and handwringing.

I can see why Darabont left.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 16, 2011, 04:21 AM

I had no idea Andrew Lincoln (who plays Rick) is from London. I'm currently watching him in Strike Back and it's odd hearing him speak in a (slightly poncy) English accent.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Dec 16, 2011, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by Face Ache View Post
I had no idea Andrew Lincoln (who plays Rick) is from London. I'm currently watching him in Strike Back and it's odd hearing him speak in a (slightly poncy) English accent.
Did you never watch Teachers? That was a great show earlier on.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 16, 2011, 09:42 AM

Same (well, sort of) with Lauren Cohan (Maggie). This is her real accent:

Lauren Cohan & Steven Yeun talking about Maggie & Glenn sex scene - YouTube

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Dec 16, 2011, 12:16 PM

Here is a great clip of Teachers, though Andrew Lincoln isn't really the star of this clip.

Tamzin Malleson Breasts - Video

SFW despite the wording in the link.

design219
Professional Poster
Jan 2, 2013, 06:25 AM

I had not seen this show until very recently (holidays) and now I'm up to date.

I have to say it sucked me in and I've enjoyed it very much. I'm looking forward to it starting back up in February.

I actually like that the zombies are really just environment and it's more about the living and their conflicts. Although the Governor and his town seem a bit off. Not sure where that's going.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jan 2, 2013, 06:50 AM

I was surprised to learn that The Governor is yet another brit. Spotted him in a rerun of Doctor Who yesterday.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Jan 2, 2013, 06:52 AM

He came into our local Nero's in Cirencester while taking a break from filming in the US. Looked very un Grimes with his young kid in a baby buggy!!

The Governor is also British, Neil Morresy.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

mindwaves
Jan 2, 2013, 11:14 PM

Great show overall. Some stupid scenes where the zombies are magically super strong and other areas.

I played the game on the App Store. Very fun. Definitely worth a download!

Forum Links
Forum Rules