Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Omg snow you guys

Omg snow you guys
andi*pandi
Feb 8, 2013, 11:44 AM

Post here with power updates, length of time it took to shovel driveways, status of iphone battery, and slices of bread remaining.

School closed, work "strongly encouraging everyone stay home, those who can work from home do so." We're headed out to the dog park so the pup won't be stir crazy when we're bunkered down watching movies and eating popcorn, er, I mean "working from home."

Light fluffy stuff falling so far, <1" accumulation. Power good. Iphone good. Plenty of bread.

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 8, 2013, 12:01 PM

I'd work at home, but I left that paperclip at the office.

DAMMIT!

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Feb 8, 2013, 12:12 PM

You rang?

Phileas
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2013, 12:38 PM

City's very quiet this morning. I drove in because a: I've got snow tires on and b: it's only a 10 minute drive.

About half of our staff is in, the others are working from home. I like snow days.

Thorzdad
Feb 8, 2013, 01:38 PM

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 8, 2013, 02:00 PM

Here's another:

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Feb 8, 2013, 02:53 PM

Sigh.
( Last edited by Snow-i; Feb 8, 2013 at 08:21 PM. )

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Feb 8, 2013, 03:05 PM

Dammit!!! It's missing us. I loves me some deep snow.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

iM@k
Senior User
Feb 8, 2013, 06:12 PM

The main show has started here in central NH.
What, me worry?

andi*pandi  (op)
Feb 8, 2013, 08:22 PM

Finally starting to accumulate, wind picking up.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 8, 2013, 11:05 PM

We have about 8" of sticky wet snow here. Wind is absolutely howling and shaking the house and branches are down all over the place. Haven't had a proper blizzard in these parts since 05, when we got just a tick under 3 feet.

Seems like just inland is going get the huge accumulation, here on the coast we should end up with about 18".

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Feb 8, 2013, 11:13 PM

So far just a couple inches of fluff here.

Ham Sandwich
Feb 8, 2013, 11:18 PM

Yeah, so?

We usually get 10 feet of snow/ice per year up north here. This is just one storm...

andi*pandi  (op)
Feb 9, 2013, 01:52 AM

We've had several winters with barely any snow, so yeah, let us enjoy our snowmageddon...

Went out to shovel a path, did the side steps and then went to the front. When I came back 15 mins later, the side steps had another inch at least. The wind is blowing hard and there's tons of drift. Hard to say how much so far, maybe a foot. The dog didn't know what to think. She jumped in a snowbank then quickly regretted it.

Inspired me:

Some in town have lost power. Iphone still charged, bread still plentiful.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 9, 2013, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Andrej View Post
Yeah, so?

We usually get 10 feet of snow/ice per year up north here. This is just one storm...
Do those storms comes with hurricane force winds? In an hour the South Shore of Mass is going to get some serious flooding too. Tons of folks without power too, a big Nor'easter like this is more than just measuring the depth of snowfall.

iM@k
Senior User
Feb 9, 2013, 10:55 AM

Woke up to the promised 2ft of the soft powdery stuff (great for skiing/boarding/shoeing), with more still coming down. light to moderate winds are blowing it around.

All utilities in service.
What, me worry?

Ham Sandwich
Feb 9, 2013, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Do those storms comes with hurricane force winds?
Yes.

I have my MSRs ready to walk around in. Problem is: I left them in my car and I have to walk out to get them!

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 9, 2013, 12:29 PM

Ended up with about a foot and a half of really densely packed snow, real pain to shovel and a nice layer of rock solid ice at the bottom. I'd rather get 3 feet of powder.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 10, 2013, 08:44 AM

So, so jealous.

It's going to be in the 40s all week in nova. No snowmageddon this year, I suppose.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 10, 2013, 10:45 PM

Edit: meh. Photobucket not liking this GIF.

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 10, 2013, 10:50 PM

Phileas
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2013, 11:21 AM

That's awesome.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 11, 2013, 03:59 PM

Much of the Southcoast and the Cape are still without power, my parents included, luckily my dad has his trusty Honda generator and wood-stove to get through it. We had to evacuate my grandparents (both almost in their 90s) since their town won't have power until Thursday or later.

In my 30 years as a New Englander this is definitely the worst winter storm I've ever seen. I've seen much higher snowfall totals but the ice and heavy snow coupled with hurricane force winds absolutely decimated the power infrastructure around here. How about instead of spending countless millions in post-storm efforts every couple of months they start working on burying the power lines where snapping branches won't take them down?

Also, if you own a house in New England and you don't have a wood-stove you're doing it wrong.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Feb 11, 2013, 04:39 PM

Also, if you own a house in New England and you don't have a wood-stove or condo in Florida you're doing it wrong.
Fixed

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 11, 2013, 04:44 PM

Much of the Southcoast and the Cape are still without power, my parents included, luckily my dad has his trusty Honda generator and wood-stove to get through it. We had to evacuate my grandparents (both almost in their 90s) since their town won't have power until Thursday or later.

In my 30 years as a New Englander this is definitely the worst winter storm I've ever seen. I've seen much higher snowfall totals but the ice and heavy snow coupled with hurricane force winds absolutely decimated the power infrastructure around here. How about instead of spending countless millions in post-storm efforts every couple of months they start working on burying the power lines where snapping branches won't take them down?

Also, if you own a house in New England and you don't have a wood-stove you're doing it wrong.
Now, now. Stop trying to use logic! Silly you!

Also, still jealous. Temps in the high 40s here. I could just about get away with going out without a coat.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 11, 2013, 04:50 PM

Dayum.

Things have been easier in PA. We haven't had much in outright snowfall, but it seems like the coatings we've been getting have been far more dangerous to drive on than anything I've seen the past 5 years.

Forum Links
Forum Rules