Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > How do you fix your display?

How do you fix your display?
Setic
Jan 21, 2000, 12:44 PM

I've got a Preforma 6400 and Magnavox Mac Diaplay (14"). Over the last 3 years or so the viewable area has shrunk quite a bit. Is there utility like the the Moniter Control for the iMac that can strech my screen out again?

Oh, and does anyone know if adding VRAM will enable me to use 600x800/Millions of colors on the display? or does it depend more on what the moniter is capable of? (Currently the system does 640x480/Thousands of colors)

Thanks

bluefire 529
Jan 21, 2000, 04:10 PM

I do not believe the 14" monitor will support 800x600, even with a memory upgrade. I think you are stuck with 640x480.

The display size on that monitor is hardware controlled (can not be adjusted by control panels). If you have a 14" Plus Display, there are no screen size adjustment controls. There may be something inside the display housing (near the tube or flyback transformer), but I have never taken one apart to know for sure.

That monitor is pretty old and the shrinking image may be a case of a failing analog board (supplies control voltage to CRT,etc.).

Dev
Jan 23, 2000, 07:25 PM

I have worked on tons of Apples basic color display's. Sounds like the monitor is about to be headed to the landfill. There are pots inside to adjust V and H size but if your not familiar with the inner workings of a CRT device I dont recommend you open the monitor up. If you get zapped from the high voltage inside (Not the 120V, thats low voltage) your hospital bills will be more that what a new monitor will cost.

If you got at least 3 years out of that monitor concider yourself lucky. They seem to start acting up after a couple of well used years. Do yourself a favor and look for a good deal on a 17" monitor and reap the benifits of multi resolution.

Bluefire is correct, the basic 14" display is a fixed 640x480.

Good Luck, dont get shocked!

Dev

Forum Links
Forum Rules