Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Zip zapped [100MB Zip on PM 7600]

Zip zapped [100MB Zip on PM 7600]
Shanachie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 10, 2002, 07:39 PM

I've recently had problems with my 100MB Zip drive hooked up to my PowerMac 7600. On some disks, the drive would make a clicking sound every few seconds, like the drive was trying to engage the disk and couldn't. After about 30 seconds of this I would get a dialog box saying the disk was unreadable, and did I want to initialize it. If I hit 'yes,' after a few seconds I would get an 'initialization failed' dialog box. Eventually this happened with all Zip disks I tried, even ones I got from other people.

Anybody know what the problem is--virus infection? software problem? Hardware problem with the drive itself or my Mac? Thanks for any help,
Dave

Westbo
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 10, 2002, 08:45 PM

This happened to me. It has been referred by other posters as the "click of death". The drive has gone bad. If your Zip is under warranty, ship it back to Iomega and they will replace it. I'm not sure it would be worth it to repair if you indeed have to pay for it as it may cost as much as a new drive. Most Zip disk manufacturers also offer lifetime warranties and will replace defective disks. Check the inside of the case labels for info and phone #s etc.

Originally posted by Shanachie:
I've recently had problems with my 100MB Zip drive hooked up to my PowerMac 7600. On some disks, the drive would make a clicking sound every few seconds, like the drive was trying to engage the disk and couldn't. After about 30 seconds of this I would get a dialog box saying the disk was unreadable, and did I want to initialize it. If I hit 'yes,' after a few seconds I would get an 'initialization failed' dialog box. Eventually this happened with all Zip disks I tried, even ones I got from other people.

Anybody know what the problem is--virus infection? software problem? Hardware problem with the drive itself or my Mac? Thanks for any help,
Dave

misc
Aug 12, 2002, 03:11 PM

The click of death happened to one of my disks. Never again did it happen. I'm not sure why, I know the disk that got deleted was a rather old disk. I use it daily and i never had the problem again!

"And after we are through, ten years in making it to be the most of glorious debuts."

George Orville
Forum Regular
Aug 16, 2002, 01:34 PM

Originally posted by Shanachie:

Dave
I had the same problem a few years ago.... Called Iomega and the ZIP Drive was replaced free of charge....

bigbiker

finboy
Aug 17, 2002, 04:26 PM

Yep, if you complain they'll replace it, even if it's out of warranty.

Now, the important thing is to check out your disks. If it wrote to them in the right place on the disk, those disks can spread the "click of death" to other drives.

Iomega will replace any disks that got "eaten" too.

Forum Links
Forum Rules