Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Defaulting to "List" view

Defaulting to "List" view
shalom777
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 7, 2001, 11:59 AM

When creating new folders on shared volumes on our file server, they default to "Icon" view, which is a major pain in the butt. The only way we've discovered to correct this is after the folder is created is to go to the server itself and set up the views the way we'd like.

Is there a better way of doing this? Can you set it so that all new folders default to the "List" view?

Patrick
Mac Elite
May 7, 2001, 02:03 PM

When a new folder is created inside an existing folder, it defaults to the same view preferences. If the first folder is in list view, the new one will be in list view, and so on. But if you're doing this via file sharing, when you change the view settings, it only changes how you see things on your own computer. The solution would probably be to go to the file server and changing the root folder (the one in which you're creating new folders) to list view.

Gregg
Mac Elite
May 8, 2001, 09:48 AM

777, you don't mention what OS you're using. I use 8.1 and have never discovered a way to change the default. However, I disovered a nifty OS enhancement called FinderViewContextMenu. It allows you to set up several combinations of window settings and name them yourself. You then have a contextual menu to change several attributes at once. With a one click, slide, slide, release, I go from large icons that don't snap to the window grid, to small buttons, arranged by name - or whatever. I called that one KAbNsmB for keep arranged by name, small buttons. Of course, you can set up your list preferences too. You just have to open a window, change it with the conventional two or three menu clicks, and then name it in FVCM. It's quick, simple, and convenient, and it's only $9 as I recall. It works with OS8, but I don't know about 9. I'm sure you can find a link for it using a search engine.

Gregg
Ya gotta applaud those bunnies for sacrificing their hearing just so some guy in Yonkers can have better TV reception.

shalom777  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 8, 2001, 10:44 AM

Ooops. We're running OS 9 - for the most part.

Now here's an interesting little bit of trivia ...
We've got several "legacy" machines connect as well - Quadra 605's (running 7.6) and when they create folders, they show up as "list" view. However, when the G4's and machines running 9 create folders they show up as "Icon"

Weird.

Patrick, I checked, and the root folder is set to "list" as well.

Forum Links
Forum Rules