Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > is an extra$300 worth a DV or a 350?

is an extra$300 worth a DV or a 350?
acidchicken
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 1999, 11:48 PM

I ordered my iMac 350 on 10/7. it's still being assembled. i'm considering changing my order to a DV for the extra 50 mhz and 4 gigs. as well as the firewire and DVD. I'm using it for audio production. and graphics. So I know I'll need the extra 4 gigs. but I'm also getting a Zip 250 either way. I just wanna know if $300 is worth the upgrade in my case or if i should stick with the 350 and spend $300 on other things. Either way I wanna wait until they ship with OS9. maybe that can help the DVD problems. Are the DV models buggy? Please help.
WWF rules

James Z
Oct 27, 1999, 11:55 PM

In my opinion the DV is worth the extra money and more. DVD is worth $300 alone, if you want it. FireWire is worth a least $150, if you want it, and it is invaulable is you want to edit home movies. iMovie is worth at least $200. Four GB of Hard Disk is worth $200 at least. Colors are worth at least $50. The extra 50 MHz is at least $200, so you have to ask yourself, do you want Apple's cheapest, and most featureless computer, or do you want the DV. If in any way it is possible that you can spring the extra $300, buy the DV. I think you will be much happier down the line with a more vestial system.

slider
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 1999, 01:23 AM

Don't forget, you don't get a DVD with the 350 model. I asked myself a similiar question and found that with everything you get, it's cheaper to get the DV.

Dave Woodfill
Oct 28, 1999, 02:49 AM

ya for sure the DV is more bang for your buck coming up from the 350 no question

dv to se I'm kinda iffy on though, I chose to get the dv didn't think the extra's were worth the money

ajaxprime
Oct 28, 1999, 11:38 AM

Well, the DV option wasn't what swayed me really. I mean, how many of you are going to hav ethe family sitting around the computer to watch a DVD movie?

But the Firewire and the extra hardrive space is worth it if you figure out the math.

I upgraded to the 400 model mainly because of availability -- the 350's seem nowhere to be found -- but for people who really want to do video editing the mid-tier and DV special models are really the way to go.

acidchicken  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 1999, 12:26 PM

Thanks for all the help. I decided to call and cancel my 350 order and ordered a DV (blueberry). I ordered it from the Apple Store so it would be shipped with OS9. The only bad thing is 20 more working days. Oh well it will probably get here before the 350 would have anyway. Well thanks for all your help.

Ian
WWF rules

Forum Links
Forum Rules