Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Ever lock yourself out of home without your phone at hand... how did you get back in?

Ever lock yourself out of home without your phone at hand... how did you get back in?
Ham Sandwich
Sep 20, 2015, 01:40 PM

For me I was fortunate enough to pop the screen in my only open window and climb in. I am so glad my unit is on the ground floor. Otherwise...

How did you get back in?

andi*pandi
Sep 20, 2015, 01:49 PM

Similar. Neighbor was home with a screwdriver we jimmied the window screen. Now I keep a spare key hidden in the yard.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2015, 03:14 PM

Can't happen. All my locks need a key to lock them.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2015, 03:22 PM

I always kept a key hidden outside, now we have a biometric system (which is a huge PITA when it doesn't work).
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

P
Sep 20, 2015, 04:53 PM

Happened to me once in an old apartment. Knocked on the neighbor's door, borrowed their phone, called someone who could come and open the door. That's not possible where I live now, though.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2015, 04:58 PM

Not my home, but I had to get into a venue, and the owner was late. Back door opened outward. Crowbar in hand, popped the hinge pins.

Owner was mad, but I considered it a free security eval.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2015, 05:06 PM

Called up my ex-girlfriend and arranged to walk over to her apartment and pick up my spare key.

mindwaves
Sep 20, 2015, 05:10 PM

Go to neighbor's house, call brother, wait one hour for him to come and unlock door.

For me, I want to keep a spare key outside somewhere, but we have none. Not sure why as there are many good places to hide one.

Laminar
Clinically Insane
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 21, 2015, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
I always kept a key hidden outside, now we have a biometric system (which is a huge PITA when it doesn't work).
What happens when someone steals your eyeballs?

Laminar
Clinically Insane
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 21, 2015, 10:29 AM

When my sister was pregnant with her first, she left for a walk without her phone or keys, then her husband left the house and locked everything up on his way out. Luckily I only lived a couple blocks away back then so she stopped by and I ended up getting her front door open with a Delta Skymiles card.

Laminar
Clinically Insane
Sep 21, 2015, 10:30 AM

Most times I don't carry a key around, I use the garage door opener in a car or via the keypad to get in through the garage. If any of those batteries every die I'm totally screwed.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2015, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
What happens when someone steals your eyeballs?

It's not a retina scanner, it's print and voice (2 stage). And yeah, if you're out of breath (like when you've been exercising or carrying something heavy) or have a cold, it often rejects the voice part. 3 rejections is bad.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 21, 2015, 10:48 AM

Lockout bad, or talking to cops bad?

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2015, 12:04 PM

Complete lockdown (the foyer door that you opened to get to the main door locks, leaving you trapped), alarms, bright lights, armed security personnel, big dogs, off-site security company goes on alert, cops, notifications to various other people... it's a mess. The same stuff also happens if someone sets off other intrusion sensors, at windows and such.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2015, 07:19 AM

Luckily I only lived a couple blocks away back then so she stopped by and I ended up getting her front door open with a Delta Skymiles card.
I always thought that the ability to open doors with a credit card was a myth.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 22, 2015, 07:45 AM

A properly built door will have a jamb with a lip, which defeats that method, but not all doors are built properly.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Sep 22, 2015, 08:51 AM

I had to break into my townhouse. I could get into my outside shed, I found a screw driver (Small point flat) a hammer and nails and some heavy shoestring type twine. I hammered nails into the second floor sundeck supports and made loops of twine to hook over the nails so I could climb to the 2nd level. I wacked a small hole into the window so I could open the latch and climbed in. THEN I sealed the window holes with clear plastic and clear latex caulk. Hid a key outside after that.

Laminar
Clinically Insane
Sep 22, 2015, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
I always thought that the ability to open doors with a credit card was a myth.
Because the door opened to the inside and they did not lock the deadbolt, I was able to get in. You know how when you close a door, the latch automatically retracts into the door when it gets to the strikeplate on the frame, then extends into the strikeplate to hold the door closed? Shoving a credit card at the latch causes it to retract as if it's moving over the strikeplate and once it's fully retracted there's nothing holding the door closed.

Originally Posted by subego View Post
A properly built door will have a jamb with a lip, which defeats that method, but not all doors are built properly.
There was enough give because of the seal on the lip that the card was able to snake its way in there. The card was pretty wrecked afterwards, but I don't fly Delta so it didn't matter.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 22, 2015, 10:31 AM

Depending on the material, you can also chop out a piece of the jamb, as you can see scars here (I rebuilt it with putty).

After that, plastic card wasn't sliding the latch, so I used something more rigid. Instead of doing what I wanted, it carved a pair of divots into the latch, basically making it impossible for the trick to work. Whatever I would use would get caught in the divots I unwittingly created.

This is an interior door, so it doesn't quite fit the topic. I ended up waiting for Monday and getting a spare from my landlord.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 23, 2015, 01:54 PM

...I ended up getting her front door open with a Delta Skymiles card.
Just now seeing this. You're starting to scare me a bit.

Laminar
Clinically Insane
Sep 23, 2015, 03:48 PM

Out of curiosity I wanted to see if I could jimmy open our own door at the time, but Wife wouldn't let me try. She said she'd rather not know. I just use the deadbolt.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 23, 2015, 03:58 PM

This thread rekindles my desire to get a bump key.

Mythbusters demonstrated if you hurl a Jaime at the door a few times, it'll rip the deadbolt out of the jamb.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2015, 09:43 PM

I've kicked in deadbolted doors before (don't know if I can now), it's much easier than jimmying the lock. Several years ago I got some lock-picking tools and learned how to use them, I recommend everyone get a set and learn, it's a valuable skill.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 23, 2015, 10:05 PM

The house we lived in when I was a kid had a basement door which if you didn't use the deadbolt, a swift kick would pop it open. Used that in emergencies a few times.

One time the deadbolt was locked. I almost took the whole door out before I gave up.

Me playing dumb about what happened to the door was an Oscar caliber performance.

mindwaves
Sep 24, 2015, 05:09 AM

One day, was getting the inside of our house repainted by some painters. One of them accidentally closed a locked interior door that I didn't even know locked. I had no key. I called my friend and he told me to jimmy the lock using 2 flathead screwdrivers. 1 minute later with absolutely no previous experience with locks, I was in!

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 24, 2015, 05:13 AM

Like, jeweler's screwdrivers? What kind of lock was it. I assume not a Schlage.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 24, 2015, 02:07 PM

Flathead screwdriver and a hammer works too, for most standard locks. (You will destroy the lock, though.)

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 24, 2015, 02:23 PM

I'm trying to imagine this in my head. Does hammering it in snap the pins, or give you enough leverage to snap them while rotating?

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 24, 2015, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I'm trying to imagine this in my head. Does hammering it in snap the pins, or give you enough leverage to snap them while rotating?
Both. Hammer until you break the mechanism, wedging the blade of the driver inside, then twist.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 24, 2015, 02:36 PM

Good deal. Filed away for future use.

Forum Links
Forum Rules