Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Sleep

View Poll Results: Do you have trouble sleeping?
Poll Options:
Yes, I can never fall asleep. 8 votes (11.94%)
Sometimes. 27 votes (40.30%)
As soon as my head hits the pillows, I am out like a light. 23 votes (34.33%)
I like/dislike peanuts. 9 votes (13.43%)
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll
Sleep
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2003, 04:42 AM

So, here I am again, it's 1:33 AM, and I can't freaking fall asleep. I have been lying in bed for the last 2 hours, trying.. and I just can't.

There are too many thoughts going through my head, they are too organized, I can't get them to go random, which is needed for sleep.

It's not that I am not tired, because I am, it's that I can't freaking fall asleep.

I seem to go through periods like this. In this past I used to sleep on the floor to solve the problem, I don't know why it worked, but it did. But, that doesn't seem to work anymore.

It's driving me nuts!! I have to get a good sleep for tomorrow so I can study.

So is this what insomnia is?

Anyone else out there who have similar problems? Want to share your experiences, perhaps reasons you found for why you couldn't sleep? Any solutions you can suggest?

Sealobo
Oct 28, 2003, 04:58 AM

Sex usually helps.

Jens Peter
Senior User
Oct 28, 2003, 05:03 AM

Originally posted by sealobo:
Sex usually helps.
Yep!

Misanthrope
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2003, 05:04 AM

Obligatory "try melatonin" option, of course.

Try a cup of warm milk? Perhaps a snack to have the blood go to your stomach, instead of your brain?

A warm shower is soothing.

Close your eyes and look at all the colors.

Listen to some soma.fm

"Do I need to draw a diagram for you then to tell you that nerdy 16-17 year olds, fat chicks and old men turn my crank then? Will you understand it then or don't you follow still chris." - Landos Mustache

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 28, 2003, 05:50 AM

"I like/dislike peanuts."

Can't go wrong with that. It's true for everyone!

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2003, 06:01 AM

Originally posted by Xeo:

Mmmm... tautology.

asleep@thewheel
Oct 28, 2003, 06:08 AM

see a doctor, really..

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Oct 28, 2003, 06:18 AM

If you can get "Horlicks" (hot drink) where you live, try that. Good stuff which will put you out in next to no time.

Cipher13
Oct 28, 2003, 07:22 AM

Valerian root (tea)?

I stick with beer personally. Works quite nicely.

Macfreak7
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2003, 08:52 AM

If you're not sleepy then why go to bed?
Which means that you must go to bed when you ARE sleepy; so it should be easy to fall asleep, no?

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2003, 08:55 AM

Originally posted by Macfreak7:
Which means that you must go to bed when you ARE sleepy; so it should be easy to fall asleep, no?

Read the original post.

Stuphalina
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 28, 2003, 08:58 AM

Personnaly, I usually have a hard time falling asleep when I'm PMS'ing but I seriously doubt that 98% of you here don'y have that problem.
I find that thinking of nothing and concentrating pn your breathing works like a charm. Not for everybody, but give it a try once.
I swear, just take big breaths and concentrate on only that.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!

Macfreak7
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2003, 09:02 AM

Originally posted by Mastrap:
Read the original post.
err.... oh.
didn't know that was required.

(sorry just woke up)

benign
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2003, 09:24 AM

A lesser known reason for insomnia
could be that you are afraid of your
dreams. Even if not remembered they
can still be vivid and unconsciously you
are fearful of leaving yourself vulnerable
to them.

Simple Empire...

Steve
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 28, 2003, 09:27 AM

Originally posted by Macfreak7:
That's been my motto for about 2 years now, and is paying off in college !

You remind me my wife… why you laugh? She dead. | sasper at gmail dot com

Patrick
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2003, 02:04 PM

Originally posted by 11011001:
There are too many thoughts going through my head, they are too organized, I can't get them to go random, which is needed for sleep.
This could be the problem. If your mind is busy at every moment during the day, there's no time left for those thoughts to get through your head. Consequently, your mind is active the minute it finally gets some time to itself, when you're trying to sleep. Take some time out of your day to just relax and do absolutely nothing. Some people would call this meditation, I guess.

Other suggestions: try to make your sleep schedule consistent, if you can help it, and make sure to get enough sleep. In any case, if you can't get to sleep, it never fails to masturbate like there's no tomorrow.

11011001  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2003, 02:07 AM

Originally posted by Patrick:
This could be the problem. If your mind is busy at every moment during the day, there's no time left for those thoughts to get through your head. Consequently, your mind is active the minute it finally gets some time to itself, when you're trying to sleep. Take some time out of your day to just relax and do absolutely nothing. Some people would call this meditation, I guess.

Other suggestions: try to make your sleep schedule consistent, if you can help it, and make sure to get enough sleep. In any case, if you can't get to sleep, it never fails to masturbate like there's no tomorrow.
Well, there is a tomorrow, or at least I hope there is, so I will forgo that list bit

But, ya that sounds like a pretty good explanation. Things are and have been really busy this past few weeks with midterms and assignments... I really didn't have a lot of time to think about anything I wanted to, to just relax. Eat, sleep, study, school.. that's it.

Since I am so busy, I haven't been able to go to Kendo for a while. This is something I find really helps with the relaxation bit. I mean, what better way to get rid of stress and frustration than to beat someone else down with a stick!? (okay, it's more than that, but it does help, as does the meditation before and after practice).

Good suggestions guys, I tried the warm milk and cookies thing. That seemed to help.

Hmm, this leads me to wonder, did any of you have trouble sleeping when you were in University/College..?

malvolio
Professional Poster
Oct 30, 2003, 02:13 AM

Hmm, this leads me to wonder, did any of you have trouble sleeping when you were in University/College..?
Oh, definitely. But a healthy dose of hashish always helped.
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2003, 02:46 AM

I don't have a lot of time to sleep with the work/class load I have. as well as being here in this forum all the time.

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

SSharon
Professional Poster
Oct 30, 2003, 02:52 AM

No comment on the Chashish.

I'm at the University of Maryland and I usually go to sleep at 3,4,5am and have never missed a class so far. I just can't sleep, ever since I got here (and got this MDD) I have been able to spend hours on my mac. It generally takes me about 3 weeks before I start losing my mind and really need sleep. So I compensate and sleep 15-20 hours Friday night and then again Saturday, and then I'm good to go.

Anyone else as wierd as that? And did I mention coffee and coke put me to sleep?

Axo1ot1
Professional Poster
Oct 30, 2003, 10:43 AM

Weed usually keeps me awake. It makes me tired, but I can't sleep Try just lying there with a book and read until you're tired. I also like to do some deep breathing before I doze off. Try to visualize the universe breathing you. So the air is going in and out according to something else. I find that very relaxing. NyQuil is good too.
( Last edited by Axo1ot1; Oct 30, 2003 at 10:49 AM. )

petehammer
Senior User
Oct 30, 2003, 10:54 AM

So, here I am again, it's 1:33 AM, and I can't freaking fall asleep. I have been lying in bed for the last 2 hours, trying.. and I just can't.

It's not that I am not tired, because I am, it's that I can't freaking fall asleep.

I seem to go through periods like this. In this past I used to sleep on the floor to solve the problem, I don't know why it worked, but it did. But, that doesn't seem to work anymore.

It's driving me nuts!! I have to get a good sleep for tomorrow so I can study.

So is this what insomnia is?

Anyone else out there who have similar problems? Want to share your experiences, perhaps reasons you found for why you couldn't sleep? Any solutions you can suggest?
Try earplugs. Worked for me as I had same problem (took upwards of 1.5 hours to fall asleep). Blocking out sound allowed me to relax enough to fall asleep.

iWrite
Professional Poster
Oct 30, 2003, 10:59 AM

Sorry, but drugs help -- harmless drugs...try 1/2 tablet (not the capsule) of Benadryl (antihistamine) and you'll get to sleep RIGHT AWAY. It's what I use and it really works with no sleepiness the next morning and harmless.

Brien
Professional Poster
Oct 30, 2003, 11:23 AM

Originally posted by Xeo:

[img]www.offthemark.com/Images/ mrpeanut/mrpeanut01.gif[/img]

Peanuts:

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 30, 2003, 12:38 PM

I don't have any problem with sleeping. Sometimes I don't fall asleep right away though.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Kilbey
Baninated
Oct 30, 2003, 01:10 PM

I had undiagnosed sleep apnea for the last 8-10 years. Sleep apnea is usually when you stop breathing due to your throat collapsing and you basically snore yourself awake. A lot of people have it and do not know. I used to sleep 10-11 hours a night, feel like crap when i woke up, could take a nap at a moments notice, and caught EVERYSINGLE cold out there.

http://www.healthandage.org/PHome/gid6=6504

When it was time for bed, I had a very difficult time falling asleep because I was actually too tired to sleep.

A doctor prescribed a device called a CPAP [Continuos PosItive Airway Pressure].

http://health_info.nmh.org/HealthNew...y012320035.htm

Now I have regular sleep patterns, sleep 8 hours a night, and wake up rested. I am rarely sick now. Un diagnosed sleep apnea can lead to an enlarged heart, strokes, blood clots, and cuts about 10 years off your life span.

Basically, a CPAP machine has changed my life. My wife tells me we probably would have been divorced in a few years if I hadn't solved my sleep problem. Now, our marriage is the best I have ever seen anywhere, we have a newborn child, and can't stand to be apart.

If you think you might have sleep apnea, contact your doctor and have a sleep study done. I beg you.

Kilbey
Baninated
Oct 30, 2003, 01:11 PM

oops, double post.

Phanguye
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2003, 01:37 PM

voyageur
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2003, 09:26 PM

Try exercise. A good hour or two of basketball, biking, running, swimming and you'll sleep like a baby. And be healthy and buff.

iJed
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 30, 2003, 09:29 PM

Drinking a few beers is always a good way to stop yourself thinking and become sleepy...

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2003, 09:34 PM

Originally posted by Misanthrope:
Obligatory "try melatonin" option, of course.

Try a cup of warm milk? Perhaps a snack to have the blood go to your stomach, instead of your brain?

A warm shower is soothing.

Close your eyes and look at all the colors.

Listen to some soma.fm
soma.fm=

Forum Links
Forum Rules