Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iPhoto Performance Problem

iPhoto Performance Problem
maceye
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 2, 2003, 01:52 AM

I have about 1800 photos in iPhoto under Panther, and I am experiencing severe performance issues. Everything in iPhoto is very very slow, even simple stuff like opening up a single photo in its own window. I get the spinning cursor of death constantly when using the application. I have an 800mHz G4 and 1GB of RAM, so I don't think that my hardware is _that_ out of date. Has anyone else experienced these problems (or better yet, have a solution)?

NeXTLoop
Senior User
Nov 2, 2003, 02:29 AM

iPhoto is notorious for lacking in the performance department. One thing that helps significantly is turning off all borders in the Preferences. This gets rid of that drop shadow you seen when looking at your pics. It won't solve all your performance problems, but it will help.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Nov 2, 2003, 06:45 AM

iPhoto should definately be faster. I have maybe 200 photos on my dual 1ghz MDD (768mb) and it takes forever to open, on the other hand opening iTunes with 3000 songs is no problem.

maceye  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 2, 2003, 03:56 PM

Turning off the borders helps a bit (at least I can scroll smoothly now). Thanks!

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2003, 04:16 PM

I have 2,050 photos in iPhoto, and it's painfully slow on my dual 2.0GHz G5 with 1.5GB of RAM. Photos range from 2.0 megapixels to 6.3 megapixels. My iPhoto library is 2.3GB in size.

I'm really hoping an (eventual) update/new version will be better. If Adobe Photo Album existed for the Mac, I'd probably buy it given the dreadful performance of iPhoto on my otherwise extremely fast computer.

Forum Links
Forum Rules