Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > energy settings advice please

energy settings advice please
desillusion.com
Dec 29, 2003, 08:25 PM

so when i am not on the road with my powerbook, what would be the best setting for cpu-speed? best in terms of best perfomance with minimal fan noise.. automatic?
or does automatic really slow the machine down so i'd better go with max?
finally here and absolutely flawless:
powerbook 12" 1ghz rev b combo 768 mb ram bt-mouse

Podolsky
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 29, 2003, 10:24 PM

I suggest you experiment with the settings to see what is more important - speed of operation or battery life. For example, I find that reducing the processor performance for say watching DVDS is fine and really extends the battery life. But, if I am doing anything that is cpu-intensive, than I like the processor to be set to higher and I will tolerate the lower battery life. My solution is to have an extra battery and run on highest most of the time. But, try it out and see how you like the range of options. My former TiBook (667) did not allow for low processor performance so I am just glad to have the option now.

sktrdie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 30, 2003, 02:46 PM

turn of a fan! or work with only ONE processor..in the XCODE apps...what comptuer do u have?

desillusion.com  (op)
Dec 30, 2003, 04:41 PM

turn of a fan! or work with only ONE processor
ehm, did i miss sth?! since when does the powerbook have user accesible fans? and even more interesting, where's that second processor you're reffering to?!

thanks podolsky.. i've been trying some different settings, and i figured that "automatic" doesn't really affect fan speed, as the processor will still run on highest speed most of the time.. so i think for desktop use i'll stick with max setting..
finally here and absolutely flawless:
powerbook 12" 1ghz rev b combo 768 mb ram bt-mouse

Forum Links
Forum Rules