Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Best / Largest HD for Ti PB ???

Best / Largest HD for Ti PB ???
masugu
Senior User
Jan 9, 2004, 12:19 AM

Any opinions on the best hard drive - with the largest capacity I can swap for my stock 60Gig drive?

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 9, 2004, 12:35 AM

I've been happy with Hitachis. I think the largest capacity from any manufacturer currently is 80GB.

maceye
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 10, 2004, 12:55 AM

The fastest is the Hitachi (formerly IBM) Travelstar 7k60 which is a 7200rpm 60GB drive. The largest is the Hitachi 5k80 which is a 5200rpm 80GB drive. The 7200 rpm one is something like 15% faster than the 5200rpm one (check the Hitachi storage site for the exact number). So you have to decide if you want a fast drive that is the same size as your current one, or a bigger drive that is not as fast (but at least as fast as the drive you currently have). Hope that helps!

masugu  (op)
Senior User
Jan 10, 2004, 03:47 AM

Hmm. Thanks.

I guess I should wait for larger drives. Can't see getting a new drive for only 20 more gigs.

Thanks for the info....will keep an eye on Hitachi.

Ohenri
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2004, 04:35 AM

wow... what are you trying to do with 80G+ on a lap?? That's a ton of room if you ask me. That 80G did get some decent review when I last checked.

H!
--
En Guarde!

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 10, 2004, 11:55 AM

Originally posted by Ohenri:
wow... what are you trying to do with 80G+ on a lap?? That's a ton of room if you ask me.
You'd be surprised. Many of us use a PowerBook or iBook as our main computer. I've got over 30GB of music files and 20GB of digital photos. 80GB isn't as big as it "used to be." If someone released a bigger notebook drive, I'd be one of their first customers.

masugu  (op)
Senior User
Jan 10, 2004, 12:09 PM

want to do more video editing AND I am budgeting for expected use of the "Garage Band" app - i.e. making & storing music files... I now use my Dell PC for iTunes and my 40 gig (full) iPod...so I need to juggle space

voth
Forum Regular
Jan 10, 2004, 12:20 PM

Why not just buy a FW/USB external hdd unit. I think the largest one out is either 250 or 300GB now.

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 10, 2004, 03:52 PM

Originally posted by voth:
Why not just buy a FW/USB external hdd unit. I think the largest one out is either 250 or 300GB now.
Undesirable in my case. As soon as you do that, you're tied to a desk (or wherever the HD is). Wanting not to be tied to a desk is the reason I bought a PowerBook. Working or surfing on the couch or in an easy chair is a wonderful thing!

Forum Links
Forum Rules