Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > What's the Mac Pro going to look like?

What's the Mac Pro going to look like?
Dave Hagan
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 4, 2006, 07:15 PM

What do you think the Mac Pro is going to look like? What should it look like?

Personally, I don't think that Apple is going to recycle the Power Mac G5 tower for this one. I think Apple has to come out with something totally hip; new and different. I wonder whether or not an aluminum enclosure should still be used. I would say maybe a mix of it, but to a lesser extent.

I think the enclosure should be a mix of black and silver, but predominantly black. And 'totally Apple' when viewed from afar — you know a Power Mac G5 or Power Mac G4 from a distance when you see it!
Dave Hagan | Apple Certified Technical Coordinator | iMac G5 1.9GHz | PowerBook G4 1.5GHz | Power Mac G4 933 MHz

hndsmman
Jun 4, 2006, 07:35 PM

I'd be ok if they used the Powermac G5 enclosure. It really is a beautiful case.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 4, 2006, 07:39 PM

With the current record of 3 recycles and 1 new, I say it will be new. The current case is just too limiting for drive (and sometimes PCIe slot) expansion.

masugu
Senior User
Jun 4, 2006, 07:52 PM

Some possibilities:

First Idea
1. Small form factor case. Will likely be aluminum until they change the AL displays...
2. Could keep some vestiges of the current box, but the reason it is so HUGE is the HOT G5 chips.
3. Horizontal? Apple cold mix it up and create an AL box that is say 12"wide 6" deep and 2" - 3" thick.

This device could nestle under the current AL display...

Second Idea:
1. An AL cube holes et al.
2. Dimensions: 10X10X10 inches
3. Sits on the floor or desk
4. Apple logos on sides

Crazy ideas, but Think Different.
masugu - "Straight Ahead"
BlacBook Core Duo / Original Intel-based MB - DIY Core i7 PC |

hndsmman
Jun 4, 2006, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by masugu
Some possibilities:

First Idea
1. Small form factor case. Will likely be aluminum until they change the AL displays...
2. Could keep some vestiges of the current box, but the reason it is so HUGE is the HOT G5 chips.
3. Horizontal? Apple cold mix it up and create an AL box that is say 12"wide 6" deep and 2" - 3" thick.
Apple would never go SFF with it's PowerMac. When you think of powerful, you think of a big, heavy, hulking box.

Also- The case right now is unbelievable inside. I understand your complaint about the ODDs, but the expansions slots are O.K. Plus, who really needs 2 DVD drives?

Originally Posted by masugu
This device could nestle under the current AL display...

Second Idea:
1. An AL cube holes et al.
2. Dimensions: 10X10X10 inches
3. Sits on the floor or desk
4. Apple logos on sides

Crazy ideas, but Think Different.
I like the idea, only the woodcrest core, like all other intel cores, might have to push the case design bigger due to heat issues as you mentioned before.

asodamiac
Senior User
Jun 4, 2006, 11:36 PM

I love the current designs. I wouldn't mind if it stayed the same.
15" Powerbook G4 | 1.67, 1.5gb, 128VRAM, SD
20" iMac | 2.66, 2gb, HD 2600
Dell 2408WFP

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Jun 5, 2006, 12:33 AM

Whatever happens, I won't even consider this machine if I can't put at least 3-4 hard drives inside of it. There's just no excuse.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

masugu
Senior User
Jun 5, 2006, 12:45 AM

I like the current design as well...save for the size. I just have to think there is something pretty different afoot.

The enormous amount of space / 5 fans etc. for the former G5's should not be required with the new Core 2 Duos...
masugu - "Straight Ahead"
BlacBook Core Duo / Original Intel-based MB - DIY Core i7 PC |

hmurchison2001
Senior User
Jun 5, 2006, 02:47 AM

Forget the extra optical bay and utilize that space to add in a third drive bay. That would give us the ability to hold two terabytes of storage in one case.
http://hmurchison.blogspot.com/ highly opinionated ramblings free of charge :)

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 5, 2006, 02:53 AM

I'd expect the Mac Pro too look similar from the outside (Al with handles and cheese grater style holes), but I'd expect the dimensions and interior to change. The current design doesn't offer enough disk bays. I'm not saying it needs a second optical bay, but it certainly needs to offer space for 4-5 HDDs.

trevorM
Forum Regular
Jun 5, 2006, 04:33 AM

I hope it is like the current G5 box. I love the aesthetics and its physical size. I never want to get rid of mine, thats why I hope its the same.
Apple Powermac G5: Dual 1.85GHz | 80Gb System | 3Gb Ram | GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL | BT | Airport | Apple 30" Cinema HD Display Apple Powerbook AL G4: 12" | 1.5Ghz | 60b System | 1.25Gb Ram | Airport | BT Other: Airport Express | Airport Extreme | TiG4 PB 800Mhz | 20" iMac G5 w/ built in iSight | Swivel Screen iMac G4 800Mhz | iPod Mini | iPod Nano | Maxtor One Touch 250GB | Sony Ericsson T630

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2006, 04:36 AM

a Terabyte isn't enough? You can even get close to 1.5 now, can't you? I don't think the HD thing is much of an issue. If I'm going for over 1000 gigabytes, I'm going with some type of external RAID solution with a PCI-e Fiber Channel card or something, or just a firewire big-drive if I don't need the speed.

I also love the looks of my 2X2Ghz tower. I wish there were a way to upgrade it to Intel when the time comes. I'm afraid it won't sell for as close to its original value as my iBook just did. (macbook comes on thursday)

TiDual
Forum Regular
Jun 5, 2006, 04:45 AM

I'd like it to be the same as now, except in "macbook black" :-) ... and perhaps a bit smaller if the new CPUs allow. Room for 3-4 drives might be nice ... I don't like relying so much on one big drive, since then a crash is fatal, I like extra drives in the case for clones and incremental backups.

hmurchison2001
Senior User
Jun 5, 2006, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by DeathMan
a Terabyte isn't enough? You can even get close to 1.5 now, can't you? I don't think the HD thing is much of an issue. If I'm going for over 1000 gigabytes, I'm going with some type of external RAID solution with a PCI-e Fiber Channel card or something, or just a firewire big-drive if I don't need the speed.

I also love the looks of my 2X2Ghz tower. I wish there were a way to upgrade it to Intel when the time comes. I'm afraid it won't sell for as close to its original value as my iBook just did. (macbook comes on thursday)
Yeah I think anything more than 3 drives is a bit impractical. I chose 3 drives because that's the minimum for a RAID 5 setup. If a person truly need 5 drives they need to be looking an and external storage encosure of some sort IMO.

I think the height of the Powermac should be 19 inches or less allowing for the ability to rack it in a standard rack. I think the handles, if it has any, should be removable. I think we should have a few more ports on the front. Headphone, USB/FW, audio in.

Hal06
Forum Regular
Jun 5, 2006, 07:30 AM

Pretty interesting question… while I understand and realize the Power Mac G5 case is a great industrial design achievement, one continuous piece of curved aluminum to give form two-thirds of the case is awesome, I would like to see something new and smaller… not much maybe, but I think to be able to choose from a king of the hill Mac Pro and something rather smaller Mac Pro, much like you can choose on the laptops Apple Pro side…

SGI had sometime ago a line of ohmygoodness!! windows powered workstations… they came in two sizes, big and bigger…

I think something like that would be reasonable and feasible. The current line is too big and lacks an approachable, huggable look that some people could find themselves overawed approaching such workstation, 'I don't need such a huge computer', something like that… I have heard it countless times, it would be kindly enough to offer them another option able to drive huge displays instead of 'force' them go the iMac route, nothing bad about the iMac, but some people just loves towers.
( Last edited by Inside Man; Jun 5, 2006 at 08:40 AM. )

I WAS the One
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 5, 2006, 08:56 AM

I think it will look short and skinny and will still be G5 style same grill and all but small, like the nintendo Wii tower more or less, but I hope that the Mac Pro will include 4 intell coreduo at the same time, Yeah! SPEED!!! it will be like 8 processors running at the same time! they are small they are dualmaybe it's posible I don't know.
Enjoy My Mac Comic @ BLAST COMICS

iMacfan
Senior User
Jun 5, 2006, 02:18 PM

I know that this will probably be falling on deaf ears, especially with Apple, but I really liked the PMG4 cases - they had more drive bays, could run open, and look better in non-workshop environments.

Just my two cents...

David
http://www.ppconmac.com - Mac compatability for your PocketPC!

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Jun 5, 2006, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by I WAS the One
I think it will look short and skinny and will still be G5 style same grill and all but small, like the nintendo Wii tower more or less, but I hope that the Mac Pro will include 4 intell coreduo at the same time, Yeah! SPEED!!! it will be like 8 processors running at the same time! they are small they are dualmaybe it's posible I don't know.
Sometimes Apple will pull a boneheaded move...but if you think the next Pro towers will have a Wii form factor, you're wrong. Apple is stupid but not *that* stupid.

The Pro towers need to accomodate a large range of ridiculously large video card boards, fit heat sinks (especially if we're taking 2 dual-core Woodcrests)...sure, we might not need a gazillion fans like we did for the G5s but this case needs to have enough room for expansion if we so wish to stick 2 or 3 750GB drives in there or 32GB of RAM.

What you're describing would be perfect for a seperate product class between the iMacs and Pro towers...but I doubt Apple is ready to venture into that territory.

hmurchison2001
Senior User
Jun 5, 2006, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by iMacfan
I know that this will probably be falling on deaf ears, especially with Apple, but I really liked the PMG4 cases - they had more drive bays, could run open, and look better in non-workshop environments.

Just my two cents...

David

The El Capitan case was nice until processors got a little too hot. It's still my favorite case design ever for Apple. Good expandability and a decent size.

merp
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 5, 2006, 06:08 PM

I suspect strongly that it'll be the same G5 case, with a different subframe for the intel parts. It's a good design, lots of room, good airflow, and it's already in the correct configuration for BTX motherboards. I figure that it'll keep the one optical drive, but get 4 internal disk bays for some monster RAID (1,0, 0+1, 1+0, 12+3.14159, you get the idea), while keeping the PCIe expansion from the current PM line.
If engineers ruled the world, the trains might not run on time, but they'd go really fast, and when they derailed, would explode and kill thousands!

hndsmman
Jun 5, 2006, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by merp
RAID 3.14159
Is that a real raid level or am I just the most gullible person in the world?

mathew_m
Senior User
Jun 5, 2006, 07:02 PM

As long as it has more disk bays (at least 4) then they could keep the same enclosure.

However I imagine that they'll differentiate the case. Interestingly enough if you look at Apple's design over the past six years, it's their portables (and iPods) that have driven the changes. If you set the original TiBook next to a G5 tower you'll see some very distinct similarites. With that said, I think Apple will migrate away from aluminum in the future 'Mac Pro' design. Think matte black, smaller and lighter.

hmurchison2001
Senior User
Jun 5, 2006, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Def Jef

Nay...RAID PI doesn't exist as of this date.

I think Apple should really go small on the case. I'm talking like El Capitan and less. Adding more drive bays means a bigger Power Supply and more cooling effort. With today's large drives most people can be satiated internally with a couple of drive bays. Those that need 4 or more drive bays are probably better suited to external enclosures that offer hot swap and/or network support. Network Storage is hot right now and people want more svelte enclosures and increasingly more quiet computers.

Apple should be on the forefront of these trends. The current G5 case is simply too big.

trevorM
Forum Regular
Jun 5, 2006, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Def Jef

hehehe. You know Pi = 3.141592654 etc.

Apple Powermac G5: Dual 1.85GHz | 80Gb System | 3Gb Ram | GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL | BT | Airport | Apple 30" Cinema HD Display Apple Powerbook AL G4: 12" | 1.5Ghz | 60b System | 1.25Gb Ram | Airport | BT Other: Airport Express | Airport Extreme | TiG4 PB 800Mhz | 20" iMac G5 w/ built in iSight | Swivel Screen iMac G4 800Mhz | iPod Mini | iPod Nano | Maxtor One Touch 250GB | Sony Ericsson T630

©öñFü$íóÑ
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 6, 2006, 12:55 PM

it'd be great if they went back with the PowerMac 7100/7500 desktop style or a slightly taller 6100 style for a Collector's Edition Mac Pro... oh.... oh man.... retro look!!
Of course, the whole case would be made out of that G5 aluminum that we all have come to love.

If not, well, I'm cool with the G5 case.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2006, 04:24 PM

Kind of off topic, but does anyone have any sort of estimation, guess or whatever about when these damn things might be released? I've been holding out for them for a while now and I am getting impatient.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jun 14, 2006, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma::
Kind of off topic, but does anyone have any sort of estimation, guess or whatever about when these damn things might be released? I've been holding out for them for a while now and I am getting impatient.
August 7, 2006.

dimmer
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 14, 2006, 05:57 PM

Well, I just sold a G4 tower that had 4xPCI slots and 1xAGP slot: I never used the PCI slots at all. I suspect some (many?) folks are the same. Other than some mental comform, would most (note -most- not all) users not maybe fit this model? I can see a two-tier Mac Pro: a Box and a Tower. Box with two PCIe slots (for SLI graphics), and a Tower with 5 or 6 for the 'real' pro users who use a bunch of extension cards. Will Apple offer a built-in card reader as every other PC does? Maybe, maybe not. A new, box case would offer new design possibiliites: a tower design really can't be much better than the G5, except a hinge on the door might be nice. In black? Maybe! That'd rock!

Chinasaur
Senior User
Jun 14, 2006, 08:12 PM

Steve does not want dual optical drives because we are all pirates and his friends in the AV industry don't want us stealing from them.

So we'll have a single optical drive forevermore.

I could be wrong

YMMV.
iMac - Late 2015 iMac, 32GB RAM
MacBook - 2010 MacBook, 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2006, 08:48 PM

It's not gonna be black, since that color is now associated with a non-"Pro" Mac model.

It'll look something like this:

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jun 14, 2006, 10:35 PM

Hey, you stole my stolen pic from the other thread!

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2006, 01:20 AM

But I inspired you to steal it, so it's okay!

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2006, 10:52 AM

To be honest I couldn't care less what it looks like. I just wish they would give me something between the iMac and the PowerMac. I don't want an iMac with integrated screen and zero PCI slots and I'm not going to need a Quad Xeon Mac Pro that costs €2500 or more. I just want an iMac without a screen and with 1 or 2 free PCI slots. And room for 2, maybe 3, hard drives. And put a Conroe in it.
I can't see any reasons as to why they shouldn't offer something like this. A LOT of people don't like all in one machines and the Mac mini just isn't an option and nor is the expensive PowerMac.

I'd even pay 1299 for it. You can get a Dell like that for less than $1000.

Ah well, I'm hoping for something like this but I'm fearing the worst.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

bbales
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2006, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by ::maroma::

I was just looking yesterday for the date of whatever conference it is that's coming up that everyone speculates will be the announcement date. My brain was remembering "july," so I was kind of disappointed to learn "August."

Oh well. I have a kid to get off to college first, anyway. I'm planning to replace my 400 MZ (though upgraded) G4 towner, circa 2000, with one of the new machines.

the macimum
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 21, 2006, 10:08 AM

Easy: The size of the PowerMac G4, with the PowerMac G5 look.

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2006, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by bbales
I was just looking yesterday for the date of whatever conference it is that's coming up that everyone speculates will be the announcement date. My brain was remembering "july," so I was kind of disappointed to learn "August."

Oh well. I have a kid to get off to college first, anyway. I'm planning to replace my 400 MZ (though upgraded) G4 towner, circa 2000, with one of the new machines.
On the other hand, Woodcrest is released this month, Conroe next... so it remains to be seen if Apple will wait to launch the Mac Pro. I think they won't, but I'm not sure.

bbales
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2006, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by Goldfinger
To be honest I couldn't care less what it looks like. I just wish they would give me something between the iMac and the PowerMac. I don't want an iMac with integrated screen and zero PCI slots and I'm not going to need a Quad Xeon Mac Pro that costs €2500 or more. I just want an iMac without a screen and with 1 or 2 free PCI slots. And room for 2, maybe 3, hard drives. And put a Conroe in it.
I can't see any reasons as to why they shouldn't offer something like this. A LOT of people don't like all in one machines and the Mac mini just isn't an option and nor is the expensive PowerMac.

I'd even pay 1299 for it. You can get a Dell like that for less than $1000.

Ah well, I'm hoping for something like this but I'm fearing the worst.
I agree, both with not caring what it looks like and the need for something between the imac (I just bought a 20-inch screen 8, 9 months ago -- I don't need the integrated package) and the top-of-the-line machine. I think Apple would have a big hit.

On the other hand, maybe apple fears the top-of-the-line machines would take too big a hit.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2006, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by bbales
I agree, both with not caring what it looks like and the need for something between the imac (I just bought a 20-inch screen 8, 9 months ago -- I don't need the integrated package) and the top-of-the-line machine. I think Apple would have a big hit.

On the other hand, maybe apple fears the top-of-the-line machines would take too big a hit.
Maybe so, but it's a ridiculous fear. People who want something in between will probably always end up with an iMac eventhough it's not what they want because they don't want to put in the extra $$$ for a PowerMac. There are of course some exceptions. It would probably be a huge hit.
People who really need the power will get a powermac.

Just give us a damn Cube Apple! At a normal pricepoint (and with some extra expandability).

Commodus
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2006, 11:33 AM

I used to think that a Cube-like system between the iMac and the towers would be good, but I'm not so sure. There should be something in the price range - I'd like to see a $1699 Mac Pro - but it shouldn't be a major compromise that only satisfies a very specific group of users. Rather, it should be the same towers as the higher-end users get, just with components that are more affordable. For example:

$1699 - 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo, 1 GB RAM, 250 GB hard drive
$1999 - 2.67 GHz Core 2 Duo, 1 GB RAM, 400 GB hard drive
$2499 - 2.93 GHz Core 2 Extreme, 1 GB RAM, 400 GB hard drive
$3299 - dual 3 GHz Xeon 5160, 2 GB RAM, 400 GB hard drive

This is very feasible, and it would satsify both home users with tighter budgets as well as pros who need some serious metal. You don't need to punish lower-end buyers with fewer PCIe slots.
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 24, 2006, 11:56 AM

Is the new mac tower gonna really be called the Mac Pro? Is that the official name? I personally like the name Power Mac better.
iMac 24" | Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HD
PowerBook G4 15" HR | 1.67GHz | 2GB RAM | 100GB HD
R.I.P 1995 Toyota Supra NA-T

lizardgator
Jun 24, 2006, 01:08 PM

I wouldn't be surprised at all if the new MacPro looks exactly like the current G5 Powermac. After all when the Powerbook and iMac changed from the G5 processor to Intel they looked the same.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 24, 2006, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Commodus
You don't need to punish lower-end buyers with fewer PCIe slots.
I think you're giving it a slightly wrong spin. Apple doesn't have any interest in 'punishing' anybody. They just want people to go for a higher model because they earn more money than when they sell a low-end model. It's really just pure business.

Commodus
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2006, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Simon
I think you're giving it a slightly wrong spin. Apple doesn't have any interest in 'punishing' anybody. They just want people to go for a higher model because they earn more money than when they sell a low-end model. It's really just pure business.
You're right, but in a sense it's punishing buyers by limiting what they can do if they don't buy the hardware with the fattest profit margin. A lot of companies do this, but Apple seems to have a thing for arbitrary limitations and prices that make you feel bad if you can't afford more. Case in point: the single 1.8 GHz Power Mac of 2004. It didn't need to use a 600 MHz bus, and it only highlighted how bad a deal you were getting (since the same money could get you the exact same specs and a screen in the iMac). The difference was such that you really felt like a second-class citizen if you couldn't justify the extra $500 for a dual 1.8.

This is an attitude Apple needs to fix if it wants to make the pro towers anything more than the niche products they are today. Don't insist that towers are strictly for professionals; don't treat low-end models like table scraps you feed to the dog.
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Jun 24, 2006, 04:35 PM

And I think they could make a lot more with selling even more machines with an equal margin at a lower price. MY point is that they are not catering to a LOT of potential clients. Switchers don't want to pay PowerMac $$$. And nor do they all want Minis or iMacs. And a lot of current Apple clients (like me) would like to see something like that.

Dell and others will be offering Core 2 Duo machines at $1000-$1500 price points. While Apple will have NOTHING to compete in that area.

Apple really needs to stop with the highly simplified lineup and start offering more options if they want to stay competitive.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 24, 2006, 06:30 PM

Dell and others will be offering Core 2 Duo machines at $1000-$1500 price points.
ITYM $400.
The current Core Duo laptops are only $750, and they start with 1GB RAM.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 25, 2006, 12:38 AM

I believe Steve has this idea that pros might need towers for PCI cards, multiple HDDs, etc. but everybody else basically wants as small a package as they can get. Therefore, he thinks those switchers you're talking about should all go with the iMac. I understand you guys want an affordable tower (and I agree with ya too), but when was the last time that happened? I can tell you. 1997. The PowerMacintosh 6500.

And of course, that was the pre-Steve era.

I'm not disagreeing with you that it would be nice to have. I'm just pointing out, that it's not very likely to happen.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2006, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by mduell
ITYM $400.
Yeah but those are probably equipped with the lowest end chips and graphics cards. Apple won't use those. Ah well, we'll just wait and see what the future brings, if it brings anything...

I'm just pointing out, that it's not very likely to happen.
Probably, but we can dream

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 25, 2006, 02:58 PM

Yeah but those are probably equipped with the lowest end chips and graphics cards. Apple won't use those.
Like T2300 and GMA950?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 25, 2006, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by mduell
Like T2300 and GMA950?
Well actually, quite contrary to Dell, Apple doesn't use the T2300 in their notebooks at all. They only use it for their cheapest line.

G5man
Forum Regular
Jun 25, 2006, 03:47 PM

We can allway have the new Mac Pro doing the "cheap plastic" way of things.
Mac mini 1.42 Ghz 1GB RAM 80 GB HD + 160 GB External HD

Forum Links
Forum Rules