Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Does your 23" ACD have problems?

Does your 23" ACD have problems? (Page 2)
Naaaaak
Forum Regular
Sep 28, 2006, 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by Oversoul
And after returning back to the Apple Store several times already with ACD problems, I get the feeling they're secretly rolling their eyes.
I know what you mean. I think the FedEx guys think I'm nuts with the returns or exchanges I've done for various monitors these past couple weeks.

Originally Posted by maceye
Ok so now it works; I let it sit for a while, and it turns on. I think it actually overheated (the top part). But I am in an air conditioned room; there is no sunlight pouring in on the screen since it's night.
The heat buildup is a large concern of mine. I work in a very warm environment most of the time (around 90 degrees in the room) and noticed the ACD top can get very hot. With the various reports of imacs and macbooks overheating (and 23" ACDs dying), I don't think heat dissipation is an area Apple pays enough attention to. They seem to assume everyone has a Cupertino-like climate or runs their AC all the time when not.

Originally Posted by maceye
My serial starts with 2A6250
Should be one of the new ones.

Originally Posted by macgeek2005
I just read a story over at macrumors.com about a guy who exchanged his 23" ACD 4 times before getting a perfect one. The story really bugged me for a few reasons.
I think Apple brings it on themselves. They've positioned themselves as an attention to detail company and charge a premium for their design. People have higher standards when buying something Apple and when those standards aren't met their actions of dissatisfaction don't surprise me. 4 exchanges is quite patient. Depending on where the stuck pixel is and the type of work being done, I may have also exchanged it.

What kind of upsets me about the LCD market is that it is completely not WYSIWYG. It would be so much easier if a store would let you pull out what you are about to buy and test it to make sure it was up to your standards. There are a lot of problems you don't notice right away, or a lot of problems you don't really notice unless you are actively looking for them. But once you start to pay attention to the details that set monitors apart its hard to avoid noticing them.
( Last edited by Naaaaak; Sep 28, 2006 at 03:33 AM. )
To be determined later.

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 30, 2006, 09:45 PM

Nothing is perfect, including the human body. I expect most of you have several flaws of your own.

I bought one of the first aluminum 23" Cinema Displays in July, '04. Sure, if I turn off all of the lights, there is backlight bleed. (That's inherent to LCDs; one of the reasons some people chose plasma TVs; plasmas display better blacks.) If I use a solid orchid background of just the right RGB value, there's a bit of magenta tint on the left and right side of the display. And, if I use a solid color desktop and move or close a bright white window, there's a noticeable persistence (which goes away after several seconds).

NONE of this is apparent during everyday use! I never turn all of the lights out when I use my computer. I usually have a folder full of pictures alternating as my desktop background so the color variation and persistence is never seen. This is the nicest display I've ever used.

I'm sure there are displays on which these things are more noticeable but I expect even the worst are still perfectly useable. Reading this thread, one would think 90% are useless. That's nonsense.

maceye
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 30, 2006, 10:30 PM

Interestingly the Apple store where I bought my two displays had only a single 23" display actually out. It's a full sized store, and all the rest of the displays were 20" or 30" ones.

If I remember correctly this Apple store used to have many of the 23" displays out (a few months ago), and had only two or maybe three 20" ones on display.

The situation seems to have reversed, perhaps because the 23" displays are not as good as the 20" and 30" ones.

macgeek2005  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2006, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by iDaver
Nothing is perfect, including the human body. I expect most of you have several flaws of your own.

I bought one of the first aluminum 23" Cinema Displays in July, '04. Sure, if I turn off all of the lights, there is backlight bleed. (That's inherent to LCDs; one of the reasons some people chose plasma TVs; plasmas display better blacks.) If I use a solid orchid background of just the right RGB value, there's a bit of magenta tint on the left and right side of the display. And, if I use a solid color desktop and move or close a bright white window, there's a noticeable persistence (which goes away after several seconds).

NONE of this is apparent during everyday use! I never turn all of the lights out when I use my computer. I usually have a folder full of pictures alternating as my desktop background so the color variation and persistence is never seen. This is the nicest display I've ever used.

I'm sure there are displays on which these things are more noticeable but I expect even the worst are still perfectly useable. Reading this thread, one would think 90% are useless. That's nonsense.
You have said in not too many words, what would have taken me way too many words to say and still not get remotely close to grasping the true meaning of the opinion.

I could not agree with you more. My display has 5 stuck pixels and backlight bleed. Do they EVER come up in every day use? No. It's "as if" the monitor is "perfect". In fact, it felt like it was perfect before I put a magnifying glass up to it looking for problems. If people weren't so god damn insane about the whole thing, every monitor would be perfect. They are all perfect. None of these issues make a monitor unuseable. It's completely nonsense. People are insane, that's all.

Forum Links
Forum Rules