Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > iChat not liking AOL password

iChat not liking AOL password
MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2004, 01:32 PM

So I'm helping my parents migrate to OS X on a new eMac, and I'm having them use Mail.app and iChat as opposed to using the AOL client program (which they subscribe to). Now under my mother's account, her iChat works fine with her AOL screen name and password, as does mine on my Powerbook. But when my father tries to use his screen name and password iChat rejects it for having the wrong password. The same thing happens when using the AIM client program, but not when using the actual AOL program. Any ideas on what might be causing this?

ntsc
Senior User
Aug 14, 2004, 01:44 PM

a wrong password?

no, seriously most likely something really simple, especially if your mothers works fine on the same machine.

have you tried signing in as your father using your mothers account? if it works it must be something in the way your fathers is set up. if it fails with your mothers account then there is either something wrong with the account or the information your using is wrong.
"You can't waste a life hating people, because all they do is live their life, laughing, doing more evil."

-ALPHA ROBERTSON,whose daughter was one of four girls killed in the bombing of a Birmingham, Ala., church in 1963.

bbales
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2004, 06:10 PM

We have NEVER been able to get ichat to work, with two of the accounts on my machine. It works with mine, and with one of my kids, but not with the other two. If anyone has any helpful input, I'd love it.

MilkmanDan  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2004, 08:51 PM

Yeah, I figured it was something simple I was missing, but I still don't know. I did try using two other AOL names, and they worked fine, but my father's still won't. Its very very odd. At least I"m not the only one with this problem.

MilkmanDan  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2004, 08:16 AM

What I did was create a new, plain old AIM account for him, and that worked fine. I think my parents will eventually stop using AOL for e-mail after they get used to OS X, and we can ditch the dumb service.

Forum Links
Forum Rules