Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Ever been beaten up?

Ever been beaten up? (Page 2)
Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 4, 2008, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
I do. If you're gonna start some sh*t with me, I'll have you doubled over before you can throw the first punch.
Originally Posted by Dakar V View Post
Perhaps he didn't announce it was a straightforward fight, and the other guy didn't know.
I was under the mistaken impression that I was fighting this honorable gentleman:

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 4, 2008, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by crazyreaper View Post
ive had a few incidents, but never fought back, most recent on was this summer when me and my best mate (both of us are 6 foot odd, 13+ stone 20 year olds) got started on by a buck of 13-16 year old chavs, would have thought i we stood a chance but numbers really do count, there was 7 of them, in the end it was mainly aimed at me, but i refuse to fight and when hit just ducked and covered, at one point ended up on the floor and got a few kicks but all that hurt the next morning was the cuts on the inside of my mouth from been punched in the face and a saw jaw. my mate took a bit more of a beating, he ended up with black eye and bleeding nose, but we got off lucky, they could have introduced is to their friend "Stanley". The saddest thing was the youngest of the kids was only 13, he didnt do out but was encouraging it. the rest were 16-17, the ones that were fighting. all we did was walk past them and they would leave us alone. in the end we phoned the police who chased up the situation worked out who it was because they committed the same offence the same night about 30 min before hand. they got charged for that offence but not enough evidence for ours.

what kind of world do we live in where we cant walk down the street for fear of being attacked?
I have a friend in Liverpool who visited the States last year and told me about him and his friend walking down a street, minding their own business when a group of about a dozen guys came around the corner and attacked them for no apparent reason.

They knocked him unconscious really quickly, and an onlooker said they were kicking him in the face while he was out cold, lying on the ground. Someone called the police, which split it up, but my friend got messed up (obviously) pretty badly.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2008, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
I was under the mistaken impression that I was fighting this honorable gentleman:

James "The Gentleman Masher" Corcoran

I'LL BASTE YOUR TURKEY!

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 4, 2008, 02:29 PM

finboy
Dec 4, 2008, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Face Ache View Post
First rule of fight club is...?
Growing up my friends and I always made it clear that we fought FOR REAL if we bothered to fight at all. Anything was fair game. That caught on, and there weren't many fights among the boys at school.

I got jumped at work once, by a guy who thought I was making everyone look bad by working too hard. He roughed me up some, but he made the mistake of not taking it seriously. A few weeks later I broke a broomstick over him in a remote part of the plant and he mysteriously fell on it and suffered a stabbing injury. Nothing else ever came of that exchange, mainly because I told him what would happen if there was a "next time." Plus, I knew where he lived, and I told him so.

So, I missed out on all the REAL fight fun growing up. Fight Club looked OK though.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2008, 02:34 PM

I now officially love this thread.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 4, 2008, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by finboy View Post
Growing up my friends and I always made it clear that we fought FOR REAL if we bothered to fight at all. Anything was fair game. That caught on, and there weren't many fights among the boys at school.

I got jumped at work once, by a guy who thought I was making everyone look bad by working too hard. He roughed me up some, but he made the mistake of not taking it seriously. A few weeks later I broke a broomstick over him in a remote part of the plant and he mysteriously fell on it and suffered a stabbing injury. Nothing else ever came of that exchange, mainly because I told him what would happen if there was a "next time." Plus, I knew where he lived, and I told him so.

So, I missed out on all the REAL fight fun growing up. Fight Club looked OK though.
I respect you and sincerely hope we're on good terms.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2008, 02:36 PM

You know what this thread is missing? Someone 's story about shanking a guy while in prison.

Edit: I've never got deja vu form typing a post before, weird.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 4, 2008, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
Heh, that actually sounds like fun.
I was wearing shorts and a t-shirt. Have you ever tried extricating your bare-skinned self from about 50 feet of duct tape? It ain’t all it’s cracked up to be, I can tell ya. Think waxing, but without the dulling warmth of the hot wax. Plus, the roll down the hill to the soccer field made me sort of seasick.

Originally Posted by Dakar V
You know what this thread is missing? Someone 's story about shagging a guy while in prison.
What’s that got to do with getting beaten up?

Ba-dump crash!

NobleMatt
formerly crazyreaper
Senior User
Dec 4, 2008, 02:41 PM

I have a friend in Liverpool who visited the States last year and told me about him and his friend walking down a street, minding their own business when a group of about a dozen guys came around the corner and attacked them for no apparent reason.

They knocked him unconscious really quickly, and an onlooker said they were kicking him in the face while he was out cold, lying on the ground. Someone called the police, which split it up, but my friend got messed up (obviously) pretty badly.
i dont know what its like in other countries, but i feel threatened quite a lot on the street in the UK especially in the town i go to uni in, very rough, was out with a friend one night when he got attacked by 3 guys with weapons and required 8 stitches to the top of his head. i love england to bits but sometimes i really which i could emigrate to places with out such actions, Australia sounds nice. When i was in NYC i never felt threatened but never really moved away from the extremely commercial areas
The Spammer Formally Known As Crazyreaper
Mac Book Pro 15", 2.66 Ghz C2D, 4GB DDR3 / iPhone 4 16GB

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 4, 2008, 02:41 PM

You know what this thread is missing? Someone 's story about shagging a guy while in prison.
Unfixed.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2008, 02:42 PM

Unfixed.
There's a time and a place for that, and I believe it passed with design's confession threads.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 4, 2008, 02:42 PM

Unfixed.
A minute too late there, mate.

Originally Posted by Dakar V
There's a time and a place for that, and I believe it passed with design's confession threads.
“Passed”?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 4, 2008, 02:44 PM

Bah! I missed it, apparently.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2008, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
“Passed”?
Is this some type of grammatical issue?

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 4, 2008, 02:48 PM

No, more a logical one. I fail to see how such a ubiquitously relevant thing could possibly pass.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2008, 02:50 PM

I've been beaten up. 2nd grade. 2 hispanics dude, probably 4th graders beat me up after school just because I was Asian. Don't even know who they are. One grabbed me in a headlock and the other keep punching me in the stomach. I'm a really small guy back in grade school.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2008, 02:50 PM

No, more a logical one. I fail to see how such a ubiquitously relevant thing could possibly pass.
**** your logic. I'm going to wrap it up in duct tape and send it rolling.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 4, 2008, 03:02 PM

I just thought it was a poop joke.
This also known as "besson baiting"

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2008, 03:04 PM

That's pretty fscked up, dude.

So you deliberately injured one of your coworkers because he roughed you up a little and "didn't take it seriously", and now you're bragging about it?

No. Just...no.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

calverson
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2008, 03:10 PM

Rock on gangsta

Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
I'm a really small guy back in grade school.
You know, round some parts you might get beaten up for mixing your tenses.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 4, 2008, 03:10 PM

6th grade, I pissed a kid off by saying a "mama" joke. He was like "watch your back"... about 3 months later, in class, everyone's asking me if I'm fighting Thomas. I'm like "wha? why?".. I look over and he's in his seat mashing his fist into his other open palm. Whoops. He was taller than me, and generally bigger overall.

Class ended and we went outside. My brother was in another class halfway across campus and said a black dude ran into his class shouting "THOMAS LASTNAME FIGHTIN' ANDY LASTNAME!!"

He was in my face and I'm like "I'm not startin' with you man" he pushed me hard and that was it. I planted my left foot and swung my right foot up and put my heel in his neck. Broke his gold chain off too. He then put a finger in my eye and that was about it.

----------

About a year later there were mad riots on the streets of Miami. Some black dudes from my school would go down there, loot, and come to school the next morning. They were wearing brand new gear with tags and such, bragging about what they'd done. The baddest dude amongst(the whole school really) them - like held back a few years and much older than anyone else - walked by me in gym class that afternoon just clocked me over the eye for no apparent reason as I passed him in a hallway. Minutes later I was standing by my locker assessing the situation, when homedude came over to me and was like "PFFT, WHACHOO GON DO - TELL ON ME??"

I was like "no, but that's effed up man"

Gym coach apparently saw it happen or heard about it immediately after, came over(quite quietly) and asked me if I was okay, but that's all he did. I'd imagine he was scared of dude.

I left that school within 2 weeks for a closer neighborhood school.

-----------

I've learned a bit of Ghetto Diplomacy over the years, and used it to my advantage up thru high school and beyond. Staying out of immediate harm's way while being in less than desireable situations. I won't get into the more exciting stories, partly because they'll paint me as some sort of gangster, and partly because while I was there, I didn't get beaten up. In fact most of me getting hit ever has been by friends.

But yea, if someone starts with me they'd better (not) expect kicks and elbows and knees and head butts. Cause that's what they'll likely get a lot of.

I tend to keep to myself and don't like fighting. Though I do believe if you're gonna fight, you'd better fight to win. You never know who this other guy is, and whether or not he'll kick you into the ground once you're out. To avoid that, you gotta win, then go.
ice

calverson
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2008, 03:12 PM

**** your logic. I'm going to wrap it up in duct tape and send it rolling.
There is a joke in there somewhere...

Would you do that to Aristotle? How about Boole?

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 4, 2008, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post

So you deliberately injured one of your coworkers because he roughed you up a little and "didn't take it seriously", and now you're bragging about it?

No. Just...no.
What she said.

Originally Posted by Jawbone54
I just thought it was a poop joke.
Oh. OH! Ew. Didn’t see that one. Yelp. :|

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 4, 2008, 03:30 PM

I forgot...once someone came up and hit me in the face with a crutch, knocking out half of my front-left tooth.

It was "sort of" an accident. Does that count?

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 4, 2008, 03:35 PM

My dad lives in a high rise building in a neighborhood where old people run things. I parked, and was about to go up to his building when an old dude with a cane started cursing and accusing me of parking there to go to the beach. I said no, my dad's in the building, I'm going up. He kept on, and waving his cane back and forth like a light saber, cursing. He tagged my car with his cane, and was within feet of me. I could have run but who runs from an old dude? I threw a chocolate milk at him and told him he was crazy. : \
ice

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2008, 03:37 PM

Thought of a time. When I was in elementary school, this big dude (who had been held back a couple times) decided to play a little game with me since I was new. he put down three milk cartons, two empty, one filled, and stomp one at a time, taking turns. he always had the same order, empty, filled, empty, he'd make the other guy go first then him and then the other guy would get milk all over himself. so I caught on by the second time and by watching him make others, and when he wasn't looking i switched the empty with the filled. heh, he got covered in chocolate milk from the knees down, and chased me all around the campus until i ****in tripped and broke my arm somehow. he came up to me as I was holding my arm an tried punching me, I ended up back on the ground again somehow an just started kicking him in the knees as hard and as many times as I could. ended up doing serious damage to him, and he was sent somewhere else. elementary school was a lot better after that.
( Last edited by brassplayersrock²; Dec 4, 2008 at 03:46 PM. )

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2008, 03:42 PM

A couple grade-school fights with fists and what-not (how hard can a third-grader hit?) and a small street brawl in my freshman year of college (that involved me swinging a 2x4 at someone).

As for my "adult" years, nothing . . . and I plan to keep it that way. Although if I were to ever get jumped I would come out fighting with all I've got and then run like hell once I was free of the attacker.

In the hood I am respectful of others and expect the same. In my last apartment in Brooklyn I was literally one of six white people living within a half-mile radius so occasionally some punk kid felt like saying sh!t to me but I just let them be. Most everyone let me be although it took a good six months before the dealers on the corner got to recognize me and realize I was local and not some undercover cop. Before that, I got some hard stares and hostile gestures but I would maintain eye contact and act like I was not scared (sometimes it was an act, sometimes it was real).

I think in any circumstance, rule number one is always keep to yourself and don't mess in anyone else's business. If you can stick to that rule you should be well off in most any situation.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 4, 2008, 03:43 PM

These stories are great.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2008, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by IceEnclosure View Post
I won't get into the more exciting stories, partly because they'll paint me as some sort of gangster
Precisely.

NobleMatt
formerly crazyreaper
Senior User
Dec 4, 2008, 04:51 PM

These stories are great.
glad your finding our misery entertaining

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 4, 2008, 05:06 PM

glad your finding our misery entertaining
The fact that misery is often hilarious (as long as it's not permanent or fatal) is the reason YouTube is doing so well today.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Dec 4, 2008, 05:07 PM

I was wearing shorts and a t-shirt. Have you ever tried extricating your bare-skinned self from about 50 feet of duct tape? It ain’t all it’s cracked up to be, I can tell ya. Think waxing, but without the dulling warmth of the hot wax. Plus, the roll down the hill to the soccer field made me sort of seasick.
I'd do it on a bet, though.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

NobleMatt
formerly crazyreaper
Senior User
Dec 4, 2008, 05:11 PM

The fact that misery is often hilarious (as long as it's not permanent or fatal) is the reason YouTube is doing so well today.
ummm yer good point, have found myself watching quite a few UFC/Street Fighting videos lately on the old tube, its like pringles, one u pop u just cant stop.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Dec 4, 2008, 05:18 PM

Relevant Firefly Quotes:

Jayne: Hell, I'll kill a man in a fair fight, or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight, or if he bothers me, or if there's a woman, or if I'm gettin' paid. Mostly only when I'm gettin' paid.

------

Mal: Whoa, whoa, I'm not runnin' off. I don't know what you got in your head, but I didn't do this to prove some kind of point to you. I actually thought I was defending your honor. And I never back down from a fight.
Inara: Yes, you do. You do all the time.
Mal: Well, yeah. But, I'm not backin' down from this one.

-----

Sir Warwick Harrow: You have to finish it, lad. You have to finish it. For a man to lay beaten... and yet breathing? It makes him a coward.
Inara Serra: It's humiliation.
Mal: Sure. It would be humiliating. Having to lie there while the better man refuses to spill your blood. Mercy is the mark of a great man.
[lightly stabs Atherton with the sword]
Mal: Guess I'm just a good man.
[stabs him again]
Mal: Well, I'm all right.

-----

Kaylee: Up until the punching, it was a real nice party.

------

Wash: Start with the part where Jayne gets knocked out by a 90-pound girl, 'cause... I don't think that's ever getting old.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 4, 2008, 05:23 PM

ummm yer good point, have found myself watching quite a few UFC/Street Fighting videos lately on the old tube, its like pringles, one u pop u just cant stop.
I'm told that some even enjoy watching animal abuse on YouTube, especially small, adorable, white dogs.

NobleMatt
formerly crazyreaper
Senior User
Dec 4, 2008, 05:26 PM

hhhmmmm dint find myself doing that tbh, i sometime have a look just to see whats going on, see what actually happens but always regret it afterwards, still regret watching the terrorist beheadings a few years ago, makes me sick to this day, but at the time curiosity got the better of me

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2008, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by calverson View Post

You know, round some parts you might get beaten up for mixing your tenses.
Look who's talking. Grammar and sentence structure errors everywhere.

Trying to act all "gansta" and "ghetto" doesn't make you cool. It gets you beaten up.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

finboy
Dec 4, 2008, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post

No. Just...no.
Not bragging, no way. Just explaining how & why fighting happened when & where I grew up.

The punk I'm talking about wasn't playing around -- it was me or him, eventually. He had a history of intimidating and beating people up, including his girlfriend and his mom (small town, so everyone knows everything). So, if I hadn't beat the sh*t out of him, shanked him and threatened to let him have worse, he would have kept it up with me and who knows who else. That pretty much took the wind out of his sails.

Saw him a few years later, bought him a beer and found out he'd turned his life around.

SO, as I said, folks back home took fighting seriously. My father always told me that if anyone started anything, it was my job to finish it. My friends were raised that way too, and there was relatively little violence or threat of violence in our high school. Same thing at college for the most part.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2008, 06:34 PM

I haven't fought much per se, but I have been nearly dragged into an alley to be beaten and, I assume, left for dead, over a case of mistaken identity. Luckily they figured out in time that I wasn't the right guy.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Dec 4, 2008, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by calverson View Post
There is a joke in there somewhere...
Actually, it is the joke.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2008, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by Demonhood View Post
thanks for giving me a reason to go out and spend $10 on the unrated DVD Been meaning to watch the flick.

BigBadWolf
Forum Regular
Dec 4, 2008, 11:29 PM

I have been beaten up once; I deserved though. I'd say that you should see the other guy, but he looked fine. I started a fight with a guy twice my size (when I was 13) and he destroyed me. Thing of it was, I was trying to impress a chick; that worked out well. Since then, I have been in a few scraps with people, but never anything serious. Had my nose broken a few times, broke a few people's noses, but not in about 5 years. Once I got pistol whipped by a mugger when I only had $3 in my wallet. Glad I wasn't shot.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 5, 2008, 02:32 AM

...still regret watching the terrorist beheadings a few years ago, makes me sick to this day, but at the time curiosity got the better of me
Same mistake here with the same regrets. I don't know what I expected to feel after that exactly, but it definitely wasn't good. I have yet to meet anyone who has seen them and said, "Yeah, I'm glad I actually had the guts to watch those terrorists beheadings!"

The Crook
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 5, 2008, 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by design219 View Post
Ever been beaten up?
Not since prison.

That was a joke.

Crooked Member of the MacNN Atheist Clique.

NobleMatt
formerly crazyreaper
Senior User
Dec 5, 2008, 05:57 AM

Same mistake here with the same regrets. I don't know what I expected to feel after that exactly, but it definitely wasn't good. I have yet to meet anyone who has seen them and said, "Yeah, I'm glad I actually had the guts to watch those terrorists beheadings!"
do u feel that every time you watch a video where someone in it dies that a little part of you dies? im worried that is i watch too many of them then.... ill die

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 5, 2008, 07:27 AM

you BACK OFF EVENING NEWS TEAM!
this thread rules because Anchorman got mentioned.
we don't have time to stop for gas

calverson
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2008, 09:18 AM

Unique New York.

Double Whammy.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 5, 2008, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by The Crook View Post
Not since prison.

That was a joke.
was prison a joke for you, or was your post the joke?

calverson
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2008, 10:47 AM

Or was American History X a joke?

Forum Links
Forum Rules