Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Comey

Comey (Page 5)
subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 23, 2017, 03:52 PM

Or Paul Ryan and Jeri Ryan.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 23, 2017, 03:56 PM

Rand Paul Ryan

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 23, 2017, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Anyway this is another do conservatives agree and do they care?

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 23, 2017, 04:03 PM

Only insofar the sharp ones realize he can't stop himself from doing these sorts of things.

I found it more interesting it was Maggie who did the hit. She's the closest to an ally at the Times they've got.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 23, 2017, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Rand Paul Ryan
You win.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 23, 2017, 04:27 PM

Only insofar the sharp ones realize he can't stop himself from doing these sorts of things.

I found it more interesting it was Maggie who did the hit. She's the closest to an ally at the Times they've got.
I think it's more amazing he's burying himself in a softball interview with fox and friends

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 23, 2017, 04:50 PM

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/firs...-trump-n776006

10% of republicans believe Comey over Trump. The only thing that might be skewing this is republicans switching party id out of embarrassment.

andi*pandi
Jun 23, 2017, 06:05 PM

Why would Trump voters believe Comey over Trump? Trump told them Comey was a liar.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 23, 2017, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Why would Trump voters believe Comey over Trump? Trump told them Comey was a liar.

andi*pandi
Jun 24, 2017, 03:03 PM

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 29, 2017, 04:13 PM

Conaway indicated he expects a formal response from the White House and is not regarding Trumps teeets as that response. Curious what he will do if they fail to reply by today's deadline.
The White House put the teeets on official letterhead and sent it to the committee.

Committee is now saying the tweets are neither clear enough nor responsive enough to fulfill their request.

andi*pandi
Jun 29, 2017, 05:28 PM

"tweets on official letterhead"
that... is not right.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 29, 2017, 06:20 PM

The same can be said for teeets.

Like I'm just going to ignore this setup.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 29, 2017, 06:36 PM

For the curious

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
"tweets on official letterhead"
that... is not right.
The administration has contempt for everyone, but people just don't see it. As long as they're shitting on liberals and the left-wing media, it's ok that his actions are both unprofessional and also a failure to fulfill a request for oversight from congress.

The same can be said for teeets.

Like I'm just going to ignore this setup.
As usual, I don't follow. That he tried to pass them off as the official response before 'compromising' by attaching them to paper and sending it?

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 29, 2017, 10:14 PM

teeets
Don't make me explain the boob joke.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 12, 2017, 12:07 PM

The exchange between Lindsay Graham and the FBI nominee does not fill me with confidence

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 12, 2017, 12:13 PM

Graham's questions, Wray's response?

OreoCookie
Jul 12, 2017, 07:36 PM

Graham's questions, Wray's response?
Both, Graham had to take his hand to lead him to the answer he wanted to hear from Wray (don't take the offer and contact the FBI ASAP), and it sounded as if Graham was content with Wray's way of “answering” the question.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 12, 2017, 08:46 PM

Here's subeegs: http://www.cnbc.com/2017/07/12/youre...m-to-wray.html

GRAHAM: Should Donald Trump Jr. have taken that meeting?

WRAY: Well, senator, I'm hearing for the first time your description of it. I'm not really in a position to speak to it.

Give me a break. Gutless. But here was the crazy part:
GRAHAM: Well, let me ask you this. If I got a call from somebody saying the Russian government wants to help Lindsey Graham get re-elected, they've got dirt on Lindsey Graham's opponent, should I take that meeting?

WRAY: I would think you would want to consult with some good legal advisers before you did that.

OreoCookie
Jul 12, 2017, 09:02 PM

@The Final Dakar
At least after much coaxing he did say at the end “Well, I guess the right answer is that you should call the FBI.”

Paco500
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2017, 03:48 AM

I didn't watch the hearing and have only skimmed coverage of it, but I'm not sure I have a problem with somebody testifying publicly about a job as the head of the FBI being overly cautious about not appearing to pre-judge the outcome of an ongoing investigation into a sitting president and his associates.

Whatever his opinion is, either way, he should probably do his best not to make it explicit.

OreoCookie
Jul 13, 2017, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by Paco500 View Post
I didn't watch the hearing and have only skimmed coverage of it, but I'm not sure I have a problem with somebody testifying publicly about a job as the head of the FBI being overly cautious about not appearing to pre-judge the outcome of an ongoing investigation into a sitting president and his associates.
While this was embedded in the discussion on this specific case, the relevant bit was a generic hypothetical situation (where Graham used himself). At the end of the exchange Graham told Wray to repeat what he had to do. Perhaps we should be careful judging people from 2-minute excerpts, but that didn't exactly fill me with confidence.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2017, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
While this was embedded in the discussion on this specific case, the relevant bit was a generic hypothetical situation (where Graham used himself). At the end of the exchange Graham told Wray to repeat what he had to do. Perhaps we should be careful judging people from 2-minute excerpts, but that didn't exactly fill me with confidence.
I basically agree, however, calling it a hypothetical when everyone knows exactly what he was talking about is a bit of a smokescreen. I applaud Graham for pressing him, it's clearly a relevant question, I'm just not sure that he did the wrong or even worrying thing by being evasive. His impartiality, and even the appearance thereof, is likely to be rather important in his upcoming term.

Of course he could just be a stooge.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 13, 2017, 09:38 AM

Whatever his opinion is, either way, he should probably do his best not to make it explicit.
I was thinking about that this morning. Yeah I'd be cautious about talking about my boss's kid. The problem is be upfront about it. Also for a position that is supposed to be independent maybe he shouldn't be cautious.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 13, 2017, 09:40 AM

Is it unreasonable to say a president whose campaign, family, businesses and admin are under investigation shouldn't have his law enforcement nominees confirmed?

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 13, 2017, 12:35 PM

Спасибо!

Paco500
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2017, 05:33 PM

I was thinking about that this morning. Yeah I'd be cautious about talking about my boss's kid. The problem is be upfront about it. Also for a position that is supposed to be independent maybe he shouldn't be cautious.
My point is not that he shouldn't speak ill of his son, it's that if he is to play a role an any of this, his conclusions should be based on the totality of the evidence. Whatever conclusion he may eventually draw could be tainted by the impression that it was pre-judged.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 13, 2017, 06:54 PM

My point is not that he shouldn't speak ill of his son, it's that if he is to play a role an any of this, his conclusions should be based on the totality of the evidence. Whatever conclusion he may eventually draw could be tainted by the impression that it was pre-judged.
If your previous post said that, I apologize but my critical reading skills are garbage on phones.

This point is even better, and if he had simply said, "I wouldn't want to weigh in without examining all the evidence" that's a defensible dodge. So would, "I wouldn't want to create a media firestorm by talking out of turn."

So someone on CNN (don't look at me that way, I was at the gym) put an interesting spin on this:
WRAY: To the members of this committee, any threat or effort to interfere with our elections from any nation state or any nonstate actor is the kind of thing the FBI would want to know.
Basically Graham, intentionally or unintentionally, created an indirect reprimand of Don Jrs actions.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 13, 2017, 07:02 PM

Спасибо!
https://twitter.com/cjciaramella/sta...72765011169280
Wray tells Sen. Tillis he's "heard nothing but good things" about DOJ's equitable sharing program that distributes asset forfeiture revenue.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 16, 2017, 07:33 AM

Comey(or an underling) may have committed perjury when he stated there were no documents related to the tarmac meeting.
( Last edited by Chongo; Aug 16, 2017 at 07:43 AM. )
45/47

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2017, 08:48 AM

Comey was running a sham investigation?
( Last edited by Chongo; Sep 5, 2017 at 10:12 AM. )
45/47

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 30, 2018, 11:51 PM

Not sure where to put this as its too big for the generic news thread but it doesn't directly relate to the russia investigation. But it does possibly involve Comey.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.d5df96877bbe
The Justice Department’s inspector general has been focused for months on why Andrew McCabe, as the No. 2 official at the FBI, appeared not to act for about three weeks on a request to examine a batch of Hillary Clinton-related emails found in the latter stages of the 2016 election campaign, according to people familiar with the matter.

The inspector general, Michael E. Horowitz, has been asking witnesses why FBI leadership seemed unwilling to move forward on the examination of emails found on the laptop of former congressman Anthony Weiner (D-N.Y.) until late October — about three weeks after first being alerted to the issue, according to these people, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss the sensitive matter.

A key question of the internal investigation is whether McCabe or anyone else at the FBI wanted to avoid taking action on the laptop findings until after the Nov. 8 election, these people said. It is unclear whether the inspector general has reached any conclusions on that point.
The agents on the Weiner case wanted to talk to the Clinton email investigators and see whether the messages were potentially important. Some people familiar with the matter said officials at FBI headquarters asked the New York agents to analyze the emails’ metadata — the sender, recipient and times of the messages — to see whether they seemed relevant to the closed probe.

McCabe was involved in those discussions, but there are differing accounts about how much then-FBI Director James B. Comey understood about the matter in the early days of October.

Some people involved at the time said Comey learned of the issue around the same time as McCabe. Others contend Comey did not know about it until weeks later. Senior Justice Department officials, according to several people familiar with the issue, were not notified until mid-October.

But for a period of at least three weeks, according to people involved at the time, nothing much happened — a lag that has sparked the inspector general’s questions.
This could be a pretty big bombshell. It gets murkier depending on how much Comey knew. I'm seeing a lot of pushback by liberal twitter that hasn't quite sold me yet, but its partly because of lack of specifics in the article meeting arguments as to what the FBI was legally obligated to do.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 7, 2018, 02:08 AM

Comey is gearing up to do the talk show rounds for his book, and I'm interested to see how liberals react. Comey may have helped get Trump investigated but I have a feeling him talking candidly about 2016 will remind people his judgement wasn't that great.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 14, 2018, 03:11 PM

Looks like Trump didn't need to take McCabe down. He lied to investigators and the displinary office is recommending he be fired.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 11, 2018, 05:47 PM

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 11, 2018, 06:37 PM

Well, that makes Mueller the perfect person to take him down, doesn't it?

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 12, 2018, 02:23 PM

http://www.lyincomey.com

Paid for by the Republican National Committee

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Apr 12, 2018, 02:46 PM

...WTF

Thorzdad
Apr 12, 2018, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
...WTF
The GOP has a plan...

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 12, 2018, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post

“POLITICO reported earlier this week that as the former FBI director returns to the national spotlight, the White House is doing little to formally prepare for the onslaught because Trump could blow up any prepared talking points with a single tweet.”

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 12, 2018, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
...WTF
The Aristocrats!

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 12, 2018, 07:09 PM

Let the recriminations begin!

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 12, 2018, 10:34 PM

https://twitter.com/GOP/status/984531099631149056

Just more proof the GOP is the party of Trump.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 13, 2018, 10:11 AM

The President of the United States, everyone.

reader50
Administrator
Apr 13, 2018, 12:13 PM

I think this is the reason why there are minimum age limits for important offices. The POTUS has to be at least 35 years old. This insures only mature candidates for important offices.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 13, 2018, 12:21 PM

andi*pandi
Apr 13, 2018, 12:25 PM

We need scientists to come up with a reasonable test for mental maturity.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 13, 2018, 01:26 PM

Hooker pee goes here.

The Aristocrats!

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 13, 2018, 02:53 PM

Not sure where to put this as its too big for the generic news thread but it doesn't directly relate to the russia investigation. But it does possibly involve Comey.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.d5df96877bbe

This could be a pretty big bombshell. It gets murkier depending on how much Comey knew. I'm seeing a lot of pushback by liberal twitter that hasn't quite sold me yet, but its partly because of lack of specifics in the article meeting arguments as to what the FBI was legally obligated to do.
The IG report is out. If I'm understanding the issues correctly it looks like McCabe is going to be another notch on 'the cover up was worse than the crime.'

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 13, 2018, 08:46 PM

That’s it! McCabe is Comey! Comey is McCabe! McCabe is a man!

Forum Links
Forum Rules