Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > modem for old powermac

modem for old powermac
qnc
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 21, 2002, 12:14 PM

We got an old powerPC starmax motorolla 3000/180 running on OS 7.6 with out a modem control panel and we want to connent up for home use i.e. PPP conection so far we have downloaded a modem control panel from G4 533hz running 9.1

supprise surpires it doesn't work it needs a controller what ever that is how do we get connected???
qnctv.com
Take a look...

silverlode
Forum Regular
Jan 21, 2002, 12:30 PM

Ummm....

Simply grabbing a modem control panel from os 9 and throwing it on os 7 isn't going to do much. We need more info here....

Do you actually have a modem, with the drivers installed?

My most severe recommendation would be to get ahold of OS 8.6, completely wiping that hard drive, and installing 8.6 fresh. Get a serial modem (still don't know if you even have a modem) and connect away.
calibrated in-phase cylindrical chamber technician

hayesk
Jan 21, 2002, 01:54 PM

Originally posted by qnc:
<STRONG>We got an old powerPC starmax motorolla 3000/180 running on OS 7.6 with out a modem control panel and we want to connent up for home use i.e. PPP conection so far we have downloaded a modem control panel from G4 533hz running 9.1

supprise surpires it doesn't work it needs a controller what ever that is how do we get connected??? </STRONG>
Assuming you have an external modem,

Just grabbing the control panel does nothing. What you need is a third party PPP control panel - look on the Mac shareware sites. (like versiontracker.com)

Other options are, Apple Remote Access 3 (that's where the modem control panel comes from), or MacOS 8 or later - it has ARA 3 built in.

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 21, 2002, 04:40 PM

Off to older systems and clones
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

qnc  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 22, 2002, 08:22 AM

The mac is a free offer from work for a friend. What does the clone represent e.g. 6100 series performa etc..?

seemes like the parts and stuff are dead cheap OS8.6 will go on?
qnctv.com
Take a look...

Chris_G
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 22, 2002, 02:37 PM

These computers were based on the Tanzania motherboard architecture, which it shares with the PowerMac 4400 series. Although "official" support was cut off at OS 8.0, 8.6 should run fairly well on this machine, depending on the amount of RAM you have. With my older Macs, I've found 8.6 the best compromise between speed, features and stability.

Cheers!
Chris

qnc  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 22, 2002, 02:51 PM

Thanks we have 8.0 does that have the required modem stuff on it as we can't find 8.6 CD at work can anyone post it on an iDisk or something?
qnctv.com
Take a look...

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Jan 22, 2002, 05:47 PM

You still havent said if you have an external modem. Its hard to help without you providing the specs of the computer.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

Chris_G
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 22, 2002, 06:56 PM

The 3000 series shipped with a 28.8 external modem standard... I am assuming this is what you are using?

Chris

qnc  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 23, 2002, 08:05 AM

We got it in the Lab years ago i can ask if there is an old modem hanging around doubt that they will know, but its worth a try. Where can I get a replacement if necessary?
qnctv.com
Take a look...

Mac-Guy
Jan 23, 2002, 10:24 AM

You can get a cheap-o modem on eBay for a little bit of nothing.

Also, I've found 8.6 the best for clones. OS 9.04 is okay too if you have enough RAM.

'luck.

[ 01-23-2002: Message edited by: Mac-Guy ]
Otis Day?? He loves us!

qnc  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 23, 2002, 12:54 PM

What is the fastest (if that applies to the clones) cheap-o-modem you recomend
qnctv.com
Take a look...

Mac-Guy
Jan 23, 2002, 02:56 PM

<STRONG>What is the fastest (if that applies to the clones) cheap-o-modem you recomend</STRONG>
I've had good success with US Robotics 56K (less than $40 on eBay). Also, BestData modems are cheap, but reliable. I've also used Diamond modems and had no problems. Of course, if you really want to go cheap, 33.6 or 28.8 modems you can get for practically nothing.

Otis Day?? He loves us!

<anonymous>
Jan 23, 2002, 05:42 PM

I too had good success with a US Robotics 56K external modem until a lightning strike. The Best Data modem I bought to replace it (along with a Belkin telephone line/power cord surge protector, once learned, twice burned) is just as reliable and connects even faster using a generic Hayes 56K modem script.

qnc  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 24, 2002, 11:33 AM

Is there anything else that you recomend we get for this old computer which is proving to be quite a versitle cheap option? Anything that might improve speed, or adaptors for say USB etc...
qnctv.com
Take a look...

Walter J. Ferstl
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 24, 2002, 07:32 PM

<STRONG>We got an old powerPC starmax motorolla 3000/180 running on OS 7.6 with out a modem control panel and we want to connent up for home use i.e. PPP conection so far we have downloaded a modem control panel from G4 533hz running 9.1

supprise surpires it doesn't work it needs a controller what ever that is how do we get connected??? </STRONG>
As a first step, even before upgrading the OS from 7.6 to anything higher, you might try FreePPP by Rockstar
http://www.rockstar.com/ppp.shtml FreePPP works fine with Mac OS 7.6, its purpose is to dial-in to your internet service provider.

Of course, make sure you have Open Transport installed as it is available in Mac OS 7.6. After a proper installation of Open Transport, there will be a control panel present named TCP/IP.

For inexpensive modems, I recommend Supra (like the 28.8 SupraFax) and Global Village (like the 33.6 Platinum Internet Edition). There is also a good 56k model by Global Village, US Robotics are good among the 56k modems, too.

A good modem cable between the computer and the modem is essential, do not try to save some pennies here.

Good luck,

Walter.

[ 01-24-2002: Message edited by: Walter J. Ferstl ]

Forum Links
Forum Rules