Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Getting a Computer Science Degree

Getting a Computer Science Degree
Dark_Lotus
Forum Regular
Feb 25, 2007, 02:37 PM

Yea, so I'm going to school to get a degree in computer science and I just wanted to hear from someone who is doing the same thing. What can I expect from this degree? Also, I noticed at the school that I'm going to all of the labs are PC based in the computer science building, does this mean I should buy a PC for school? I have my iMac and iBook that I'm taking with me, but I didn't know if it would help if I also had a cheap PC. What kind of job oppurtunities will be available for me after I graduate? If anyone can answer atleast one of these questions it would be a big help.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 25, 2007, 03:40 PM

I'd buy an inexpensive PC, and what's more, I'd get a laptop. My school's CS curriculum was entirely PC based primarily because that's what the school could afford at the time, so I wound up getting a PC myself-my first "all mine" computer. You'll probably be expected to use Windows-based compilers/IDEs to produce Windows-based final products, which is not a bad thing. Picking up the user interface for Windows is not a big deal, since the GUI implementation is pretty much the same as the Mac implementation with a few adjustments.

I can't tell you about using the degree because I never got the chance to use mine, but it's sure impressive!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 25, 2007, 03:42 PM

Or get an intel mac, and dual boot windows when you need to.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Feb 25, 2007, 04:05 PM

I'd wait and find out. You might be expected to use WIndows, you might be expected to use Unix, or they might not much care.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 25, 2007, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Dark_Lotus View Post
Yea, so I'm going to school to get a degree in computer science and I just wanted to hear from someone who is doing the same thing. What can I expect from this degree? Also, I noticed at the school that I'm going to all of the labs are PC based in the computer science building, does this mean I should buy a PC for school? I have my iMac and iBook that I'm taking with me, but I didn't know if it would help if I also had a cheap PC. What kind of job oppurtunities will be available for me after I graduate? If anyone can answer atleast one of these questions it would be a big help.
Computer Science is about the science of computation. You'll learn a lot of math (number theory, set theory, graph theory), automata, computational complexity, data structures, algorithms, compiliers, fundamentals of operating systems, etc. You'll also learn to program along the way, but only as a means to an end rather than an end in and of itself. If you want to do software development, don't major in computer science.

You may have classes where required applications are only available for Windows. I'd suggest punting your iMac/iBook and buying a MacBook.

As far as the job market for graduates, shouldn't that be something you researched before you picked your major?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 25, 2007, 04:35 PM

I kind of want to get a computer science degree, but on the other hand I fear it's about as useful as a philosophy degree (which also sounds kind of fun).
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

goMac
Posting Junkie
Feb 25, 2007, 05:23 PM

Don't bother with a PC. Most than likely, your classes will be dealing with Java, C, and C++ unless it's some sort of weird CS program. And all those languages are cross platform. Most likely you will not be dealing with Windows only stuff such as Win32. Also, your Mac will actually be a plus in your UNIX classes.

I'm going back to school in the Fall, but in my last school, I actually used my Powerbook for everything, and never had a problem. In fact, I was in better shape than most the other students because I didn't have to go to the labs do to my UNIX stuff.

I did get comments thought from Profs about my Powerbook (they knew me pretty well). Just teasing about how Apple was going out of business, etc. They didn't know anything about Mac OS X, so I had to explain to them that it was running UNIX just like the boxes in the CS labs.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Feb 25, 2007, 05:57 PM

My CS program was mostly Linux based. I used a Mac throughout all of it for my personal computer. Once OS X came out I did most of my programming work at home rather than in a lab.

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2007, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Computer Science is about the science of computation. You'll learn a lot of math (number theory, set theory, graph theory), automata, computational complexity, data structures, algorithms, compiliers, fundamentals of operating systems, etc. You'll also learn to program along the way, but only as a means to an end rather than an end in and of itself. If you want to do software development, don't major in computer science.
I disagree 100% with your last sentence. Almost every single programming job available says in it's requirements that you must have a CS degree (or it's equivilant). Probably 50% of a CS degree in actual programming, so I'd say that it is the right degree if you want to do programming. I have a degree in CIT (computer information technology) with an emphasis in CS but only because my school didn't yet offer a full out CS degree. I use what I learned there every single working day. I would recommed a CS degree to anyone wanting to learn more about computers and how they operate (including how to build programs for them).

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
Don't bother with a PC. Most than likely, your classes will be dealing with Java, C, and C++ unless it's some sort of weird CS program. And all those languages are cross platform. Most likely you will not be dealing with Windows only stuff such as Win32. Also, your Mac will actually be a plus in your UNIX classes.
This depends quite a bit on what they teach you on. In my school we used Visual Studio for most of the C++ classes, so a PC was pretty much required unless you wanted to do all of your work at the lab. Of course you could have done most of the same work (not all, because some of it required Windows libraries) with unix or on a mac, but it is generally easier to follow along as you are trying to learn if you have the same software as your instructor is explaining it in. Instead of spending your time trying to figure out the make files on your own in unix you could spend time actually doing the development and coding instead.

Originally Posted by Mithras View Post
I'd wait and find out. You might be expected to use WIndows, you might be expected to use Unix, or they might not much care.
This is good advice.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 25, 2007, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by torsoboy View Post
I disagree 100% with your last sentence. Almost every single programming job available says in it's requirements that you must have a CS degree (or it's equivilant). Probably 50% of a CS degree in actual programming, so I'd say that it is the right degree if you want to do programming. I have a degree in CIT (computer information technology) with an emphasis in CS but only because my school didn't yet offer a full out CS degree. I use what I learned there every single working day. I would recommed a CS degree to anyone wanting to learn more about computers and how they operate (including how to build programs for them).
There's certainly a large variation in the subject material covered by CS programs at different schools. Some focus more on the science of computation while others are basically software development degrees.
For people who want to be software developers, I think the high math content at the more well respected universities is complete overkill, and ends up driving a lot of people away from the field. If you want to make the next breakthrough in machine learning, then go CS by all means. But if you want to be a software coder, I think other degrees (like software engineering) are more useful.

A good analogy in my opinion is physics:mechanical engineering::computer science:software development. Sure, physics includes the fundamentals of bridge building, but if you want to design bridges you should get a mechanical engineering degree.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 25, 2007, 07:28 PM

Actually - wait anyway, and buy whatever you get with an education discount.

Ham Sandwich
Feb 25, 2007, 08:03 PM

...What kind of job oppurtunities will be available for me after I graduate?
How are 'ya at bagging groceries?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Feb 25, 2007, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by screamingFit View Post
How are 'ya at bagging groceries?
Most schools will have connections to get you an internship while you go to school. And internships can usually turn in stable jobs after college. So no, it doesn't have to be bagging groceries. I know lots of people who got internships while doing their CS degrees, and were happily employed after they left school.

I'm not even done with my degree and I got a pretty well paying job.
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 25, 2007, 09:22 PM

Perhaps I should elucidate on my statement about not using my degree. I did not use it because I was on active duty with the Air Force and they did not have a use for that degree in my position and specialty. In almost every part of my life I did make use of the skills and critical thinking I learned. I was able to apply software design principles to many non-software related situations, and that helped me as a manager. I was able to apply basic software development concepts to setting up and managing a large number of projects to their successful completion.

Torsoboy is correct about the programming aspect of coursework. How can you "think deep thoughts" about computers if you can't make them tap dance for you? Programming is fundamental to understanding WHY computers do things, and how to make them do what you want. Once you know that you can get into algorithm development, which is where most of the real "philosophy" research is. And whether you will be learning programming in Java, C++ or something else, you will learn the fundamentals of programming first, so be prepared for some very basic (but often very confounding) instruction in how to break down the simplest (seeming) task into the TRULY simplest steps.

I was out of line in suggesting you buy a Windows computer at this time. Things have changed since I graduated, and it's best to wait and find out what the school expects. You will want a laptop that will do what you need, and the iBook may not be up to the task anymore-it depends on the tools you're expected to use.

Finally, I actually can give some advice on jobs. RESEARCH the market and the position you want! Know what the going rate for people doing what you want to do is, then be prepared to be flexible about salary and such. You'll be the new kid and so you should be ready to do maintenance programming, specification development, post-test QC, and other less than thrilling jobs at the beginning. Most of the CS majors who bag groceries are disillusioned with the field because they "know" they're worth way more than they have been offered, despite having not much in their portfolio but some student projects. The CS degree and $1.50 buys you a (small) cup of Starbucks-the ATTITUDE that you're trained to learn and ready to start learning is what will get you the job you want.

bstone
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2007, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by peeb View Post
Or get an intel mac, and dual boot windows when you need to.
all the die hard PC people at school hate it when i turn on my macbook and it asks me if i want to run OS X or XP Pro.

i think i booted into XP Pro like 10 times total so far.
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 25, 2007, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Most of the CS majors who bag groceries are disillusioned with the field because they "know" they're worth way more than they have been offered, despite having not much in their portfolio but some student projects.
Or possibly because Albertson's offers better pay and more satisfying work.
Chuck
___

centerchannel68
Baninated
Feb 25, 2007, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
I kind of want to get a computer science degree, but on the other hand I fear it's about as useful as a philosophy degree (which also sounds kind of fun).
Yep. I'd throw that in with Business, English, and other non specific degrees. They're all pretty much worthless.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 25, 2007, 11:01 PM

Or possibly because Albertson's offers better pay and more satisfying work.
...or they have had some bad experiences in the business and they're kind of bitter? Just a guess.

Dark_Lotus  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 25, 2007, 11:54 PM

So I shouldn't expect to make much after I graduate? or expect to get a job that I will enjoy? Does anyone know where I can find some information on salaries and the types of jobs that will be available to me? Thanks for everyones help, I think Computer Science is right for me just because I want to learn how to make computers do what I want, learn how they work, and do some programming and maybe security. I think getting a job in computer security could be fun, as long as it isn't a computer administrator.

macroy
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2007, 01:02 AM

So I shouldn't expect to make much after I graduate? or expect to get a job that I will enjoy? Does anyone know where I can find some information on salaries and the types of jobs that will be available to me? Thanks for everyones help, I think Computer Science is right for me just because I want to learn how to make computers do what I want, learn how they work, and do some programming and maybe security. I think getting a job in computer security could be fun, as long as it isn't a computer administrator.
Your salary would be tied to your experience and the market for which you are looking to be employed. The more desirable you are.. the more you'll fetch. And when I mean desirable, I mean havign a skill set that few others have.... CS majors aren't exactly hard to come by today.. you'll need something that will stand yourself out. But based on what you just said there... you don't' really need a CS degree to do. And unfortunately for you.. the tech sector is still on the rebound. With security, everyone and their mothers are trying to get into that sector.... and what area of security are you interested in - there are a number of disciplines. With a CS.. I'm guessing SDLC type of stuff?

As for salary information - salary.com comes to mind. You can also check out the surveys many tech magazines do annually - although those report more "experienced" ranges.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Feb 26, 2007, 01:07 AM

Start working on a job before you graduate. Get summer internships, and make friends with your professors. Your professors might have friends in the industry that are hiring.

This is all dependant on your school, but I don't think the way people are portraying the job market is accurate. You just need drive to get a job. Any person with any degree can end up bagging groceries. This isn't unique to CS. But it's not an epic task to find a job as a CS major.

With regard to how much of the degree is math and how much is programming, every school is different. Compare school's CS programs carefully and decide which ones work best for you.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 26, 2007, 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
...or they have had some bad experiences in the business and they're kind of bitter? Just a guess.
Heh, I'm not in that field. Like I said, I looked into it because it sounded like something I could get into, then noticed that what I'd be doing is, as you put it, "less than thrilling jobs" where you must be "flexible about salary."
Chuck
___

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2007, 02:31 AM

I wouldn't say that. I got a job doing development and I love doing it. I started out part time for $12/hr while I was still going through school and after I graduated they pulled me into full time with a decent salary. It's only been about four years since I graduated and I am now making $52.5k/year base salary (which is really good for where I live). Having a CS degree also has given me the opportunity to create my own thriving business on the side, which helps quite a bit in allowing my wife to stay at home with our kids instead of working full time while our kids are raised by someone else.

CS graduates are not as in demand as they use to be, but the market is still there for them.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 26, 2007, 04:37 AM

I'd say look online at the employment sites (which nearly all companies hire from), search the openings with the keywords you're interested in and survey the positions. Compare the requisites listed for the positions you're interested in, and with that info you'll be able to make a more informed choice about what degree to pursue. As others have said, CS differs from school to school, so investigate the curriculum of the major you're interested in.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 26, 2007, 06:29 AM

If you want to do software development, don't major in computer science.
This is the worst argument ever. How can you expect to develop reliable, high-quality software if you don't understand what you're doing?

Amorya
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2007, 09:11 AM

I took a module from the compsci department last year - Neural Computing. I've not done a whole CS degree, but my thoughts on the department are thus. Computer platform doesn't really matter - the lecturer for that course used a Mac, and for the coursework he recommended using Mathematica (cross platform). However, you could implement the solution in whatever language, since it was not testing your programming skills but how you made sense of what was going on regarding neural simulations.

I know the third year project can be implemented in whatever language/platform you wish. The labs in the CS dept are all running Red Hat Linux. The first year programming module (which only makes up 15 CATs out of 120 for the year) uses Java. 

Even if your department requires specific platforms, pretty much everywhere offers a remote login facility. I can run Windows software on my (PowerPC) mac over the network, with the windows intermingling just like Parallels in Coherence mode. They also support X forwarding, for the equivalent thing on the linux servers. 
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Feb 26, 2007, 10:03 AM

Major in something you enjoy studying, not in something you think is going to make you a lot of money (unless you're lucky enough for those to be the same thing). The same goes for getting a job. If you don't enjoy your job you're going to be miserable no matter how much you make, and if you do you'll be happy no matter how little you make (within reason, obviously)...

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 26, 2007, 10:17 AM

So I shouldn't expect to make much after I graduate? or expect to get a job that I will enjoy?
That's not at all what I meant. But you can't expect to pull six figures and work totally independently when you first start working. Not only will you be an unknown quantity when you start, you'll need to learn the processes and structure of your new company, and that means doing some less fun things for a while. Not that they're NOT fun at all, but they are what you need to do to learn the ropes in that environment. "Rock stars" in any business do not start out as "rock stars." You have to expect to show your abilities before you get to "play lead guitar."

You can expect to make "decent" money- the Bureau of Labor Statistics says the middle 50% of software engineers earn about $60k, but remember that this is an average over all levels of experience and settings. (BLS is a good place to start looking at the job, pay, etc. for any career.)

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 26, 2007, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by nonhuman View Post
Major in something you enjoy studying, not in something you think is going to make you a lot of money (unless you're lucky enough for those to be the same thing). The same goes for getting a job. If you don't enjoy your job you're going to be miserable no matter how much you make, and if you do you'll be happy no matter how little you make (within reason, obviously)...
I can agree with that 100%. I have a degree from Purdue in Comptuer Infomation Technology. Some guys in the program were literally only there because they "heard starting salaries are awesome". They didn't do well in the program, and none of them got IT-related jobs out of college.

But, hey, look at me - I focused on web and graphical design, and now I'm a project manager making quite a bit of money for being a just-graduated-from-college employee. I didn't do it for the money - I did it because I really enjoy working with computers.

You're probably going to need Windows XP. It's pretty likely that your department will indeed use Visual Studio to do a lot of the programming work, and VirtualPC on a PPC processor just isn't going to cut it.

Wait and see what your program uses. More than that, wait and make sure you really want to major in CS. I found out after looking at the CS program through Purdue that CIT was much better-suited to my skills, abilities, and desired career path.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2007, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
You're probably going to need Windows XP. It's pretty likely that your department will indeed use Visual Studio to do a lot of the programming work, and VirtualPC on a PPC processor just isn't going to cut it.

Wait and see what your program uses. More than that, wait and make sure you really want to major in CS. I found out after looking at the CS program through Purdue that CIT was much better-suited to my skills, abilities, and desired career path.
All of our C/C++ development is done on networked linux machines (you can do the development anywhere, but the program must run on those machines when its turned in). I am going to be graduating next year with a computer science degree and the only time I ever needed windows was for a human computer interaction project where I needed to use VB.NET to make a dummy interface for a POS terminal. If you don't want to get a new intel mac, depending on the program, you might be able to get by with just using the school labs.

In terms of jobs, my school has something called career planner. We submit a resume to our career development center, and after they approve it, it gets added to the career planner system. They include our resumes in books sent to companies (mine was just sent to Cisco). You can also go through a job listing and submit your resume through the career planner with the click of a button. I submitted my resume to a company 2 Fridays ago, the following monday they emailed me to set up an interview, and because I didn't email them back by wednesday, they called me wednesday morning to set the interview up. All this with the click of a button. The job is 25/hour for perl/linux/c development.
AXP
ΔΣΦ

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 26, 2007, 01:36 PM

I'd echo the advice to wait and see what platform your school primarily uses. In my undergrad program we used Unix in all but one of my classes so Mac OS X was a great tool to have. The one course where I had to use Visual Studio provided a lab with the software for us to use.

Also, I think CS is an excellent major to choose as long as it's something you really want to learn and enjoy. There's still a lot of pessimism out there from the dot-com crash, but depending on where you live CS majors are in strong demand once again. And it's unlikely to stop any time soon from what I've seen. It may be worthwhile to research jobs to see if they sound interesting to you, but as those of us who started school in the late 90s can tell ya, the job market is likely to change a lot by the time you graduate.
( Last edited by itai195; Feb 26, 2007 at 01:43 PM. )

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 26, 2007, 01:58 PM

Heh, I'm not in that field. Like I said, I looked into it because it sounded like something I could get into, then noticed that what I'd be doing is, as you put it, "less than thrilling jobs" where you must be "flexible about salary."
<shrug>Well, I love my job, at least </shrug>

finboy
Feb 26, 2007, 02:36 PM

Unless you're talking about getting a job. Then the CS degree is definitely ahead.

You should go ahead and look at some MIS or BUS electives to make you more marketable after graduation. As my Associate Dean pointed out to some undergrads the other day, "finance, accounting and MIS are hard majors, but they're really the only ones getting decent jobs these days." She's right, at least for business undergrads. Pick up some business applications stuff and you'll do OK out there.

If you want to stay strictly in the CS realm, skip CS and just get a degree in computer engineering. Unless you're planning to go to grad school. The CE will take you farther than a CS degree, IMO.

As for platform choice, you're probably going to need to be fluent in at least Unix and Windows, even the older stuff (some firms still use Cobol for apps). I'd plan to do both a speedy Windows laptop and an OSX machine.

finboy
Feb 26, 2007, 02:40 PM

That's good advice, but be practical as well. If everyone went and did only the things they enjoy, we'd get nowhere.

Thankfully, I enjoy what I do. But I've worked almost 20 years to get to where I am, enjoying most of it, but not all. In that time I made less than I could have, and started a family late. Keep those things in mind when deciding to do "something you love to do."

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2007, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by finboy View Post
You should go ahead and look at some MIS or BUS electives to make you more marketable after graduation. As my Associate Dean pointed out to some undergrads the other day, "finance, accounting and MIS are hard majors, but they're really the only ones getting decent jobs these days." She's right, at least for business undergrads. Pick up some business applications stuff and you'll do OK out there..

MIS is not a hard major. And they aren't the only ones getting decent jobs...

I agree you should def take some MIS classes, I myself am getting a minor in MIS with a CS major, but I wouldn't bank on an MIS major. I know too many people that dropped CS, not because they were bad students but because they didn't like CS, who had trouble getting a decent job with MIS that didn't involve working for an insurance or something lame like that.
AXP
ΔΣΦ

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Feb 26, 2007, 03:14 PM

I'm waiting for the colleges in my area to differentiate between a Computer Sicence degree and a Computer Administration degree.

I don't need 4 years of calculus to manage an ActiveDirectory server. It's not the 1960s anymore.

As for a computer, unfortunately, you'll probably need Windows. My brother took a Java programming class and they used Visual J++ and your assignments were out of a horribly written Java book that started off saying Java is only available for Windows and Internet Explorer.

If you wanna keep using a Mac, snag up a MacBook and VMWare or Parallels.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

goMac
Posting Junkie
Feb 26, 2007, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
I'm waiting for the colleges in my area to differentiate between a Computer Sicence degree and a Computer Administration degree.

I don't need 4 years of calculus to manage an ActiveDirectory server. It's not the 1960s anymore.
They do have entirely seperate degrees for Computer Administration.

The reason computer science typically has a year of Calculus is because Computer Science is a programming degree, not a sysadmin degree.

I actually have a friend in school right now doing a system administration degree. It's basically studying the higher level languages (COBOL, Java, something else I don't remember), and learning about server software.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 26, 2007, 04:57 PM

It doesn't sound like the original poster is interested in MIS. Speaking from personal experience, I'm a CS major who worked primarily in MIS for a few years out of college and I hated every minute of it. Just wasn't for me.

Taking a couple finance courses or project management, however, could come in handy in any career.

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2007, 05:03 PM

[privacy] and I use a Mac almost exclusively. The program really is platform-neutral. As someone already mentioned, the *nix portions of OS X actually are a plus in the core programming classes.
( Last edited by Tomchu; Jul 11, 2021 at 09:14 PM. Reason: privacy)

Dark_Lotus  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 26, 2007, 05:13 PM

Im not going into CS just for the money, and I don't want to pick a job based on the level of income. I didn't mean to come off that way. What interested me in the CS degree was the courses that you go through. I want to learn more about computers. I want to learn how to program and the different aspects of different operating systems. They also offer a robotics course when you go through the CS degree, at the school that I'm going to, and I thought that looked interesting and something that I would love to do. Thanks for everyones help and opinions. Ill probably end up picking up a cheap IBM laptop, I have an Intel iMac, but I really don't want to dual boot windows and OS X.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 26, 2007, 06:30 PM

Expect to make 30-50k fresh out of college. Salary varies depending on region (NYC pays better than Kansas), experience with the company (internships), and other company factors (size, prestige, fringe benefits, etc).
It's impossible for anyone else to say if you will enjoy your job.
You may be more interested in CIS, MIS, or even Computer Engineering.

Originally Posted by Angus_D View Post
This is the worst argument ever. How can you expect to develop reliable, high-quality software if you don't understand what you're doing?
Why does not having a theoretical degree mean you don't know what you're doing. See my previous comment about physicists and building bridges. A BS in Software Engineering is more appropriate for someone who wants to be a software developer. Also see my previous comment about the range of "pureness" in CS programs; I'm sure if you go to some joke of a school like Devry or ITT Tech, the CS program is all about programming.

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2007, 07:06 PM

Expect to make 30-50k fresh out of college. Salary varies depending on region (NYC pays better than Kansas), experience with the company (internships), and other company factors (size, prestige, fringe benefits, etc).
It's impossible for anyone else to say if you will enjoy your job.
You may be more interested in CIS, MIS, or even Computer Engineering.
If you live in a more tech friendly area I would move the scale up. I couldn't find the newer stats, but in my area, students graduating from my college averaged 52k with a CS degree in 2005.
AXP
ΔΣΦ

Sky Captain
Mac Elite
Location: Second star to the right, and straight on till morning
Feb 26, 2007, 07:09 PM

I earned a CS degree after I left the USAF.
I'm back to flying airplanes.
You figure it out.
All men are created equal, but what they do after that point puts them on a sliding scale.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 26, 2007, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by TheMosco View Post
If you live in a more tech friendly area I would move the scale up. I couldn't find the newer stats, but in my area, students graduating from my college averaged 52k with a CS degree in 2005.
I'd be wary of figures from your college. The students who got 30k are less likely to respond to surveys, and I'm sure the school has computed the average in the most advantageous way.

That's not to say there aren't places that a fresh grad can make 60k. They're just very rare.

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2007, 10:02 PM

I'm sure if you go to some joke of a school like Devry or ITT Tech, the CS program is all about programming.
Why'd you have to go and say that? I graduated from Devry.

But that was for a degree in electronics and I really liked the school. I went to the one in Phoenix and it was a really tough school for a lot of people. I didn't end up getting a job based on that degree but they did have a really really good job placement program with places like Motorolla and Intel and a bunch of other big players. The reason that I didn't get job using the electronics degree that I earned there was because as a part of the course they had us do some assembly level programming and I fell in love with programming. So after I finished that degree I went on to a non-technical college to get my CS degree (but ended up with a CIT degree instead).

Anyway, I don't think Devry is a bad school. TONS of hands on learning. Good stuff for those that learn on that way.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 26, 2007, 10:37 PM

Don't take it as a personal insult. Devry is what Devry is, a good vocational-type school, but no one is going to mistake them with a more prestigious theory-heavy university.

I think they're a good example of a "CS" program that is more like software engineering than the actual science of computation.

Dark_Lotus  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 26, 2007, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by Sky Captain View Post
I earned a CS degree after I left the USAF.
I'm back to flying airplanes.
You figure it out.
What are you trying to say?

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Feb 26, 2007, 11:21 PM

What are you trying to say?
Wouldn't you rather fly than sit in front of a computer all day?

Dark_Lotus  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 27, 2007, 12:44 AM

Wouldn't you rather fly than sit in front of a computer all day?
He makes it sound like CS is incredibly boring though.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Feb 27, 2007, 12:49 AM

He makes it sound like CS is incredibly boring though.
For some people it is. After four years in a CS program I realized that, while I definitely enjoy programming, I can only really take it in small doses. Hence my career in IT with web development side projects.

Forum Links
Forum Rules