Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Considering buying a Macbook..

Considering buying a Macbook..
Ibdc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 26, 2008, 02:31 PM

I've been considering buying a Macbook for a while now and I have a few questions. I don't have too much cash so I'd like as big of a discount as possible. I'm still in highschool so I don't exactly qualify for the education discount, but I was wondering if I were to claim to be a teacher/student and buy online, if they would ask for any form of proof, also would they ask for any form of proof if I did the deal to get a free iTouch with the purchase as well. ... Or should I just buy from Amazon.com or something..

I need opinions.

Thanks.

buckaroo2008
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 26, 2008, 03:44 PM

buying from apple online with an educational discount will not be a problem for you at all. they kinda go on an honor system with this discount so it will probably weigh on your conscience for about ten minutes. i just got my mac and ipod touch and i couldn't be happier.

@pplejaxkz
Senior User
Jun 26, 2008, 04:06 PM

They do go on the honor system sometimes. But I know at the stores we make sure you show either a: school id, schedule, acceptance letter or something along those lines. I wouldn't recommend lying to get those discounts, but if you can get away with it more power to you. You're not going to get that much of a discount on the Macbook anyways, it should come out to be only $100.

bballe336
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 26, 2008, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by @pplejaxkz View Post
They do go on the honor system sometimes. But I know at the stores we make sure you show either a: school id, schedule, acceptance letter or something along those lines. I wouldn't recommend lying to get those discounts, but if you can get away with it more power to you. You're not going to get that much of a discount on the Macbook anyways, it should come out to be only $100.
$100 is quite a bit of money, especially if you don't have a huge income, and I think that applies to the OP.

kenna
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 28, 2008, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by bballe336 View Post
$100 is quite a bit of money, especially if you don't have a huge income, and I think that applies to the OP.
Agreed, education store were great with me, they asked if I had an acceptance letter to university and I said yes, and then I asked how I could show them and the rep said oh don't worry about that we like to trust our customers to which we both laughed.

So my advice would be to do it anyways, not because your robbing apple but because you are in school and deserve the discount imo. Will mean more money to apple down the line anyways. If not just be straight with them, surely you are eligible?
MacBook Pro 17" 2.2 GHz quad-core, 2x4GB 1333MHz RAM, 750GB Hard Drive, Intel HD Graphics 3000,
AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 1GB GDDR5, Mid 2011

MacBook Air 13" 1.7 GHz dual-core Intel i5, 4GB RAM, 128GB Flash Storage, Intel HD Graphics 3000, Mid 2011
iPhone 4 32 GB, Mid 2010

roller
Forum Regular
Jul 2, 2008, 05:22 PM

I strongly recommend you look at the refurbished models Apple offers. You can get a much better deal on a computer with full warranty. I would always look there to see what's available before spending my money elsewhere. The link is on the Apple Store site in the lower left-hand quadrant (see Special Deals). There is also more information and a link to it on the iSwitched site in my sig.
My Macs: 15" Macbook Pro, Mac Pro,
Lab of ~ 25 various models purchased over the last eight years

My Sites: AppleBytes: Apple-inspired Tees and more, iSwitched: Guide for Switchers,
Yearbook QR Codes, Yearbook Unlimited

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 2, 2008, 06:10 PM

It's both unethical and unlawful to claim that you are a higher education student or teacher if you aren't.

ibook_steve
Jul 2, 2008, 06:19 PM

You don't have to be a college student to order from the education store. High school students get the discount as well. There's no problem here.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 2, 2008, 06:37 PM

Where is the option for high school?
Apple Store for Education

When I bought my Mac mini in December they told me that there was no high school discount.

And see here: Sales and Refunds Policy

Sorry.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 2, 2008, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
You don't have to be a college student to order from the education store. High school students get the discount as well. There's no problem here.

Steve
Check the site. High school students are not among the categories listed.

But anyway, if price is paramount, I'd get a refurb or one off Amazon. They're cheaper than the education discount anyway.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

NateB
Jul 2, 2008, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post

Steve
I thought this at one point too, but then I re-read the context:
Originally Posted by Apple.com
If you’re a college student, faculty, or staff member and you buy a Mac before September 15, you can get a free iPod touch or iPod nano. After all, isn’t college about seizing every opportunity?
You can be a K-12 faculty member and receive the promotion, but not a K-12 student.

OreoCookie
Jul 3, 2008, 04:29 AM

I think all has been said: Apple relies on the honesty of people and doesn't check whether you're eligible for their discount. It's up to each one of you to decide whether it's moral to do it if you are a high school student. Just do the right thingâ„¢

In any case, I can recommend the refurb page as well.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Knof8
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 9, 2008, 11:05 AM

What if you're taking classes from an online only university? Does Apple care if there's no brick-and-mortar building?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 9, 2008, 11:16 AM

Good question. Well, you wouldn't be able to order online, but you could get the discount from an Apple Store if you show them proof that you are taking the classes.

brugesman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 24, 2008, 01:25 PM

Search for some online coupons valid at the Apple Store. They're all over the place...that will probably get you the best deal.

retro_p_tom
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 2, 2008, 01:40 AM

A (non-computer savvy) colleague spilled a full glass of water directly into/over the keyboard of her MacBook Air - I really mean a full glass as well, the machine was drenched. I was sitting directly opposite so (being a gallant type ;-) leapt into action!

I switched off the machine and dried off the excess water - I noticed it turn itself on a couple of times whilst I was doing so - I immediately turned it off again. Of course its not possible to remove the battery.

At that time we were working in the middle east - 50 celsius outside - so I placed the lap top just outside the door on a dry towel with the front of the machine on the ground - bit like a birthday card - like this: /\

I figured the critical components were at the hinge side of the machine and wanted to allow as much water as possible to run away from that area. I left the machine there until I realized it was getting dusty - I brought the machine inside and put it in a room close to the window but far enough away to avoid direct sunlight (however the sun did shine direct on it the next day without my realizing). I left it there for 3 days after which it worked perfectly, no problems whatsoever. A great relief as the machine was only 3 weeks old!

Thanks
Tom

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 2, 2008, 11:05 AM

Great! What the hell does that have to do with considering buying a MacBook?

w8ing4intelmacs
Forum Regular
Aug 2, 2008, 04:17 PM

To answer the OP's question:
in store, they will ask you to produce something that proves you qualify.
online, no, they don't require any kind of proof.

do what you will with that information.

CrimsonRequiem
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 2, 2008, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Great! What the hell does that have to do with considering buying a MacBook?
Shows how durable Mac Books are?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 3, 2008, 05:20 PM

A MacBook Air is totally different than a MacBook.

applesbiggestfan
Forum Regular
Aug 8, 2008, 05:27 PM

Get the Macbook, it's the cheapest laptop but portable and fast. It's got a good processor and good RAM, so if you don't have that much money then get the Macbook comes with 2.4Ghz processor, 2GB of RAM, and 250GB Hard Drive for 1.5 thousand dollars. Its the best if you want a good laptop for as low as possible, the rest of the macs are more expensive.

Forum Links
Forum Rules