Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > buying seconds / rejects with blemishes

buying seconds / rejects with blemishes
cdcinTexas
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 27, 2012, 04:21 AM

I saw a news story about a year ago that Apple sells the "seconds" on a website - does anyone know the website?

P
Aug 27, 2012, 04:47 AM

They're called refurbs, or technically "Apple certified refurbished products". Go to apple.com/store and look in the column on the right, or just go here.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Aug 27, 2012, 01:46 PM

They aren't seconds as such. None of the products sold will have blemishes or any other damage. They come in plain brown boxes and are store returns, overstocks etc.

Some good bargains to be had but you may need to come back several times as some prices are not reduced by much while others are.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

cdcinTexas  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 27, 2012, 07:20 PM

Thank you for your reply. I am aware of the refurb items - this was a site where the imperfect ones were sold - something like serediptyseconds. Bill Weir did a special on it and I thought I had bookmarked it, but cannot find it now.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 29, 2012, 03:47 AM

I find this unlikely. Apple is rather stringent about the quality of its products and any imperfections or malfunctions are usually dealt with by repairing the unit or replacing it. The returned ones get refurbished and sol on the refurb store. Why would they need to sell seconds? It could be a 3rd party refurbing machines but there are lots who do that.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

fazulzip
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 16, 2012, 01:33 AM

There is B Stock available over at MacOfAllTrades.com and they have some with 90 day warranty and such. Pretty good outfit, I have a friend who's purchased from there often.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 16, 2012, 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post
They aren't seconds as such. None of the products sold will have blemishes or any other damage. They come in plain brown boxes and are store returns, overstocks etc.
FWIW, Apple states clearly that the products may show signs of wear and use. In practice, they generally don't, but they can.

Forum Links
Forum Rules