Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Backpack / bag / sleeve for your Mac Notebook? *Look here*

Backpack / bag / sleeve for your Mac Notebook? *Look here* (Page 23)
Noonster
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 8, 2009, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by kylef View Post
My LArobe case is absolutely fantastic. Very durable but light. Using it with my 13" unibody MacBook - recommended.
Which one have you got? I was told that because they were made for the White/Black MacBook's that they are not that great for the Unibody - is this wrong then?

Cheers
MacBook • 13.3" MacBook Aluminum Unibody, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB, 250GB
iMac G5 • 20" iMac G5, 1.8GHz, 1GB, 160GB, SD, AP, BT/KB/MS
iPod Mini • Silver, 4GB
iPhone 3G • Black, 16GB

Noonster
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 8, 2009, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by fisherKing View Post
just got a booq sleeve for my alu macbook; fits like a glove, stylish, sits comfortably in my backpack...
and good price! (my GF, with her 12" powerbook, is jealous)...
Is this the one you got?
- http://www.booqbags.com/Compact-Case...n-skin-S-black

Any chance of a pic showing how snug it is?
MacBook • 13.3" MacBook Aluminum Unibody, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB, 250GB
iMac G5 • 20" iMac G5, 1.8GHz, 1GB, 160GB, SD, AP, BT/KB/MS
iPod Mini • Silver, 4GB
iPhone 3G • Black, 16GB

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Feb 8, 2009, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Noonster View Post
Is this the one you got?
- http://www.booqbags.com/Compact-Case...n-skin-S-black

Any chance of a pic showing how snug it is?
my GF is out away the camera this week, so no pic. but it's a perfect fit, and i am really happy with it.
the macbook, in it's sleeve, slides into a slot in my backpack, and i am out the door...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

mackandproud
Forum Regular
Feb 19, 2009, 07:39 PM

What are some recommendations on how to clean a messenger bag or a backpack? Can they withstand a washing in a front load washing machine for example? Or, would it be safer to try to spot clean any soiled/dirty areas?

328iGuy
Feb 24, 2009, 10:32 AM

Has anyone tried the Crumpler School Hymn 15 for a Macbook Pro?

https://www.crumpler.ca/flash/flash....5-sh0202a.html

danbt79
Mar 18, 2009, 06:39 PM

Just got one of these:

http://www.applesac.com/hemp.html

It's absolutely fantastic!

mr.take
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 30, 2009, 08:24 AM

exelent

MrTangent
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 10, 2009, 03:27 PM

Hi. I'm looking for a case (preferably something like the Booq Vyper or BuiltNY neoprene) for my spare MBP battery. I already have a case for the MBP but would like to keep the spare battery safe when transporting it in my backpack.

Any pointers? It's the latest 2.53" Macbook Pro Unibody (late 2008) that has the 60-watt-hour lithium-polymer battery.

Posting here since mod told me to (although a case for a notebook is NOT the same as a case for a battery).
Mr. Tangent

JackFrost
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 28, 2009, 10:11 AM

I bought BLOBS neoprene sleeves for our MacBook Pro's.
I've been using blue sleeve for 2 month and absolutely love it!

Page14
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 28, 2009, 10:32 AM

I recently bought one of these:

http://brenthaven.com/catalog-metrol...nge_apple.html

... and couldn't be happier. If you're looking for real protection (on all 6 sides), this is a good one. Fairly rugged too. Comfortable shoulder strap. I only wish I would have bought it sooner.

sogbrightlight
Forum Regular
Sep 1, 2009, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by senseigmg View Post
I just got the Shinza Zeroshock III and I absolutely love it. I used a Booq Vyper with my 12" powerbook, which was nice, but not nearly as padded as the Shinza. It also got to my house in about a week.
You say the Shinza is more padded than a booq?!
Bla Bla Bla

sogbrightlight
Forum Regular
Sep 26, 2009, 12:00 PM

Just got my Booq vyper a few days ago. Love it. It's a big improvement over the Shinza that I bought for my macbook.

The reason I didn't like the shinza was it lacked a rigid feel and one of the zippers broke on it early in its life.
Bla Bla Bla

macwall
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 15, 2009, 02:44 AM

I love my Booq cases, slim, tight, and great fit. The ballistics nylon is pretty awesome too.

threestain
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2009, 07:07 AM

just got a brenthaven edge bag - really good indeed and little extra size. will probably get a slip case too...

AllanCook
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2009, 09:35 AM

I've been using a Booq Vyper case inside a medium Waterfield Cozmo for my 13-inch MacBook Pro very happily for a while now. A perfect combo.

TempleGuy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 23, 2009, 01:22 AM

People should checkout the Booq Python Blur backpack. Excellent.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2009, 04:01 PM

I bought a Built Laptop Backpack and I really like it.

Every day I commute with a 15" MacBook Pro and I find messenger bags to be too uncomfortable and the Booq Boa Flow to be too thick to wear comfortably on a busy subway. People would constantly bump into me while I was wearing the backpack. Add the fact that it'd be pretty much empty with just a laptop in it I found it a waste to carry every day.

The Built laptop case feels like a laptop sleeve with backpack arm straps. It's very comfortable and extremely thin. There are actually two pouches, one for the laptop, and a thin one in front which you can put a magazine or something else like that in.

I'm enjoying the backpack for commuting. Amazon.com has it for half the price of Built's website.

P.S. The laptop does not stick out like it does in images of the backpack. It fits in completely.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 21, 2010, 06:24 PM

"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

ilovemymac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 22, 2010, 10:26 PM

the bookbook case looks awesome !

Cory Bauer
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 31, 2010, 11:15 AM

Hey All,

I'm on the search for the smallest vertical bag possible that'll fit a laptop and/or iPad, a digital SLR, and accompanying power cables. I want something small and compact enough that it can be my daily commuting bag, often times only carrying the iPad. The trouble I've ran into in my search is that the bags that do all the things I want are often times large backpacks, with room for multiple lenses and a semester's worth of textbooks; I want to keep things as compact as possible. I really, really like the Boa Flow M, with it's specialized DSLR compartment at the bottom for quick access, but it's just too darn big.

-Cory Bauer
[email protected]
http://www.sboobtv.com

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 5, 2010, 10:17 AM

I had one of those -- gave it to my brother -- and the problem was that is is really big even when it's empty. Also the DSLR compartment at the bottom is not very big. If I take off the vertical grip on my D300 and put on my smallest lens -- 50mm 1.4 -- it fits, but not without anything else.

There isn't any space that I was comfortable shoving in lenses, so the bag became a daypack for me, but it's just far too big for that.

isf215
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 3, 2010, 12:23 PM

So im getting a 13" macbook pro this summer and i've narrowed down my backpack choices to the STM Evolution and the Booq Mamba Shift.

STM Evolution: http://www.stmbags.com/catalog/lapto...ptop-backpack/

Booq Mamba Shift: http://www.booqbags.com/All-Products...-shift-M-denim

Im in college and commuting so i need a bag that can carry a textbook or 2 and a notebook as well as the computer. I like the mamba shift because of the design and the inside but i kind of wished there was a waist or sternum strap to secure it to my body more. Also the price is a little steep. I dont really like the design of the Evolution as much. I've heard good reviews and bad reviews about them both. Mainly about not being big enough to hold a textbook and only good for small accessories.

I need some help, should i spend the extra money on the Booq or get the evolution? Other cool bag suggestions would help too.

Thanks in advance

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 3, 2010, 06:36 PM

I have an STM made for a 15". I would say there is certainly room for a reasonable sized textbook or two. I really like the STM, the quality is excellent.

Libid21
Jul 6, 2010, 08:08 PM

I'm also looking to protect my laptop as it is 'naked' right now. I've had it for almost a week now.

I'm looking to buy a case for it, but was thinking that maybe I should buy a backpack first. Or should I just buy a sleeve and a backpack? I don't plan on doing much extracurricular activites with the backpack except just walking back and forth between classes and while I bring it home and what not so I'm just wondering what you guys recommend for the sleeve/case.

Not looking to spend too much because I already spent enough on this 15" Macbook Pro.

Thanks.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 6, 2010, 08:23 PM

I used a sleeve and backpack for school for years; it was the best way I could think of to keep computer, books and notebooks handy and protected. I used an Incase sleeve for my 15" MPB and a North Face Yavapai pack. Never had a problem with anything, and the superior construction of the pack made carrying even really heavy books much smoother and easier.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Libid21
Jul 6, 2010, 08:51 PM

Where's the best place to buy those, Glenn?

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 6, 2010, 09:31 PM

I got mine at a store called "Whole Earth Provisions" in San Antonio, Tx. The home store is in Austin. Lots of places carry North Face packs, and you can buy them directly online.

Libid21
Jul 23, 2010, 11:38 PM

Anyone got any other backpack ideas other than the North Face Yavapai? Just looking at my options. Not looking for a backpack built for a laptop. Just looking for a good, maybe cheaper than the Yavapai, backpack that can hold my books and what not and also my laptop. Yavapai looks good but somewhat expensive and the 'strings' on the back of the bag make me look too much like I'm about to go hiking.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 24, 2010, 09:34 AM

The strings/straps/etc. can be easily bundled out of the way-which is what I did, as I got a couple caught once. And while the Yavapai is more expensive than, say an Eastpack, it also has the North Lifetime warranty behind it. Mine has minor damage from a bit of abuse (not just me, my dog chewed on an inner pocket once), it's going strong almost 6 years later.

rubberwheels
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 7, 2010, 11:39 PM

I've been using a Speck SeeThru Satin Hard Case on my Macbook Pro 13".
I admit it adds quite a bit of weight. Together with the adapter, it weights ~6 lbs.

For the Macbook Air 11.6. Weight is a huge issue so I've been looking into a Wrapsol skin.
And getting this sleeve: SFBags

caleach
Forum Regular
Nov 9, 2010, 11:43 PM

I have an old 12" Titanium PB that needs a new internal WiFi antenna. I purchased one from PowerBook Medic yet can't find any instructional videos to help me install it. I find a lot of general fix it videos but none for the antenna. Before I return it I thought I would try here to see if anyone has a link/idea.

Thanks for any help.

Steve

jretzner
Forum Regular
Jan 22, 2011, 02:54 PM

This bag from Booq for my 11" Mac Air arrived yesterday. It is snug, very protective, and has several expandable pockets for gear.
( Last edited by Oisín; Jan 22, 2011 at 07:07 PM. )

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 22, 2011, 07:07 PM

^ I fixed your post, jretzner, so it doesn’t show up as code, but a regular link. And congrats on the new bag.

hsl
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 23, 2011, 06:49 AM

My girlfriend makes sleeves herself, 've been using mine on my MacBook Air 11" for almost 3 months now, and it still rocks a lot!

Joli Originals
( Last edited by hsl; Dec 18, 2011 at 03:57 PM. )
15,4" MBP (late 2008), 2,53Ghz, 4GB RAM, 256GB SSD | 27" ACD | 11" MBA, 1.6Ghz, 4GB RAM , 128GB | 16GB iPhone4 | 32GB iPad

The biggest fan of JoliOriginals MacBook, iPad and iPhone Sleeves!

jretzner
Forum Regular
Jan 29, 2011, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
^ I fixed your post, jretzner, so it doesn’t show up as code, but a regular link. And congrats on the new bag.
Thanks! I could not get it to show up (as you did) as a link.

PB2K
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2011, 04:16 PM

I just got myself a CULLMANN LIMA 600+ backpack for use with a MBP 15". It has a nice internal protected compartment for that, which eliminates the need for a sleeve.

[img]
http://wyobrazsobie.komputerswiat.pl/media/285285/cullmann_lima_2.jpg[/img]

The Lima is quite a large backpack, and very tough. It has so many internal compartments, it's like a universe. To test how well it can hold a large load without straining my shoulders on a hike, I inserted my whole powerbook/mbp collection (4 notebooks all 14" or more). I could hardly feel the weight !!

It's a great bag !
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

PB2K
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2011, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by jretzner View Post
neat !

ilovemymac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 15, 2011, 02:42 PM

im diggin this and this

marcusellis1981
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 17, 2011, 12:55 AM

Got my Haus of Society bag this week and I LOVE IT! www.thehausofsociety.com

It's got pockets in all the right places and an iPad pouch on the outside making it easier to access than other bags where you have to open up the damn thing to get to anything. The inside has two compartments keeping my Mac separate from everything else that usually scratches it.

kenna
Dedicated MacNNer
May 14, 2012, 05:03 PM

Just bought a Crumpler Cupcake Half Photo Backpack:

Here's the YouTube… the only thing I'm unsure on is the security of the bag in general… any ideas as to how to protect it??
MacBook Pro 17" 2.2 GHz quad-core, 2x4GB 1333MHz RAM, 750GB Hard Drive, Intel HD Graphics 3000,
AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 1GB GDDR5, Mid 2011

MacBook Air 13" 1.7 GHz dual-core Intel i5, 4GB RAM, 128GB Flash Storage, Intel HD Graphics 3000, Mid 2011
iPhone 4 32 GB, Mid 2010

saprahan
Banned
May 21, 2012, 08:15 AM

Hellow guys! Anybody wants to write a review article on Macbook Backpacks? I'll pay $20 for an article with ~1500 words
PM me or mail at [email protected]

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 21, 2012, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by saprahan View Post
Hellow guys! Anybody wants to write a review article on Macbook Backpacks? I'll pay $20 for an article with ~1500 words
PM me or mail at [email protected]
$20?!

Pay peanuts; get monkeys.

PB2K
Mac Elite
May 24, 2012, 04:11 PM

An update on my LIMA backpack. Most zippers are now destroyed. Time for a new sturdier backpack !

kenna
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 11, 2012, 08:47 PM

Had a huge issue with the pricing over at Crumplers' official website - a price difference of £50 on a variety of websites. Returned the item and won't be buying a Crumpler bag in future. Their explanation was that they couldn't control other sellers pricing (which is obvious) yet I have a huge problem with the fact that other sellers are profiting enough to sell the same bag at £50 less - not even in a sale.

I'm back to Booq.

Side by side comparison of new Booq Python Blur to old Booq bag:

I'm a fan, love the upper pocket for my DSLR and there's plenty of space to it for MacBook Pro 17" and iPad simultaneously, with other room for up to 4 lenses.
MacBook Pro 17" 2.2 GHz quad-core, 2x4GB 1333MHz RAM, 750GB Hard Drive, Intel HD Graphics 3000,
AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 1GB GDDR5, Mid 2011

MacBook Air 13" 1.7 GHz dual-core Intel i5, 4GB RAM, 128GB Flash Storage, Intel HD Graphics 3000, Mid 2011
iPhone 4 32 GB, Mid 2010

LDB
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 24, 2012, 01:11 PM

I just got a new 13" MBP and have a case on the way for it from the Apple store. I don't know how to post pictures direct but this is the case.

STM 13" Alley Messenger Bag for MacBook Pro/MacBook Air - Apple Store (U.S.)

Libid21
Jul 4, 2013, 04:26 PM

The rubber feet in front of my MBP 15" fell off... I'm considering getting a case from somewhere like Speck with rubber feet in them or if I should just try and re-install new rubber feet myself.

I like how the laptop looks without a case, but I'm thinking since I want to make this laptop last for a while maybe I should get a case to protect it even more.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2014, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
Can't find that one for the MacBook Pro 17" anywhere. Same goes for a nice bag, it seems there is nothing suited for the 17" anymore besides the THULE backpack from the Apple Store.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 29, 2014, 04:49 AM

Bags for the 17" were a tiny market to begin with, and it is all but drying out completely since it's been discontinued.

Try looking at bags for 15" PC laptops. Those aren't custom-fit, but 15" PCs are often larger than the 17" MacBook.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2014, 12:51 PM

Thank you for your advice. Much appreciated.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2014, 04:52 PM

Update: I think I need a bigger backpack. While the THULE can take all the 17" MBP, its laptop compartment is too small IF the MBP is protected by a sleeve which is what I intend to do. I guess it could be so easy to put the blame on the slightly oversized LaCie ForMoa but that sleeve is awesome and I don't want to replace it.

Any suggestion on wider backpacks than the Thule Crossover TCBP-117 backpack.?

TIA

Forum Links
Forum Rules