Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Anyone install airport card into Tibook?

Anyone install airport card into Tibook?
aktive
Jul 23, 2003, 05:37 PM

Hi,

Does anyone have any handy tips that will help in installing an airport card in a Tibook? Stuff that you should have done but it was too late? Or stuff that you did and it made the reception better or something? Anything?

Background:

I have a Tibook 667 DVI and I just bought a airport (not extreme) and a snow base station.

Well, I really look after and "baby" my tibook. I've had it almost a year and it looks new I'm sure many of you will probabaly be able to relate

I'm going to install the airport card myself and I know what I'm supposed to do, and I'm pretty comfortable around electonics so really not too much of a problem, but I just wanted to know if anyone has any tips that will make the process easier, safer, more reliable or help in some way like boosting my signal afterwards.

Loads of people must of installed the airport card and done a few things wrong that they wish they'd known how to avoid in the first place.

I await all of your help, and I greatly appreciate it.

Thanks again
"...because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones that do."

iWrite
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2003, 05:47 PM

It's really really easy. You'll need a Torx 8 screwdriver or wrench -- get it at any hardware store. Then remove the bottom but be careful because one slip and you'll have a nice scratch on the Titanium bottom.

Just remember to slide the card in first before attaching the antenna or else you might bend the frame the wrong way.

Just slide the card in with the "Airport Card" logo DOWN (and the serial number side up) and firmly seat it, then carefully lift the card up slightly and snap in the antenna. Next, tuck the plastic tab in DOWN along the inside of the Powerbook (over the antenna/antenna wire) so it's out of the way.

Put three screws back in then flip it over to go ahead and try to set up the Airport Base Station using Airport Setup Assistant.

Remember that the default password is "public."

You'll need your UserID name for your ISP, your ISP dial-in/dial-up number, and the password, of course.

If you set it all up and you connect and get online then go ahead and screw in the rest of the screws.

Good luck.

webb3201
Senior User
Jul 23, 2003, 06:24 PM

Very easy and straight forward. When I first installed a card in my Ti400, I could not get the bottom case reseated correctly. With my 667 DVI, I had no problems the times I cracked the case.

Make sure you get the connector well seated in the card and the card solidly mounted and all will be well.
Read my MacWebb column and other great Mac articles at Lowendmac.com

Owner of a MacBook Pro and various other Macs.

g4baker
Forum Regular
Jul 23, 2003, 09:04 PM

I have a question also: I've heard rumors that many PowerBook G4 owners have had problems with being logged in and out of iChat (because of sudden loss of reception, etc.). What is a way to avoid this?

Aaron Baker

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2003, 10:50 PM

Originally posted by g4baker:
I have a question also: I've heard rumors that many PowerBook G4 owners have had problems with being logged in and out of iChat (because of sudden loss of reception, etc.). What is a way to avoid this?
Don't move around Seriously, I have a TiBook 400, and I haven't had those issues over Airport.

As for installation tips, make sure you have the cable connected well and that the card is facing the proper direction.

iWrite
Professional Poster
Jul 24, 2003, 02:32 PM

Use AOL Instant Messenger or AIM instead. Exact same product with a different GUI.

www.aim.com

MGossett
Jul 24, 2003, 02:56 PM

No, I have that same problem with AIM. I try not to move around too much, usually I'm just up in my room which is about 25 feet (through walls) from the base station.

-Mike

iWrite
Professional Poster
Jul 24, 2003, 03:56 PM

Hmmm...

I've never had that problem with AIM, ever.

Weird.

wanderlust
Forum Regular
Jul 24, 2003, 09:12 PM

The issue I had was not with iChat itself, but being logged in and out of iChat constantly because of the Wireless reception on my TiBook would come in and out, even when I was stationary. My TiBook liked it best if I sat right next to the base station, which turns wirelessness into pointlessness. This would occur no matter what IM client I was using.

Macola
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2003, 05:07 PM

One tip no-one has mentioned yet...when you flip the TiBook over to begin your install, be sure to have a soft cloth or towel under it...I got a nasty scratch on mine. The Ti400 base was also a pain in the rear to put back correctly--I had to do it several times to get it seated just right. By comparison, the 12" PB went much, much better
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

Forum Links
Forum Rules