Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Groceries!

Groceries!
Ham Sandwich
Jul 24, 2014, 01:54 PM

Ever thought you had plenty of ketchup only to find that when you really need it you actually don't have any left in the other room?

I really wish someone would make an app that would tell me what I need to restock.

What's the closest thing that you have come up with to avoid this dilemma?

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Jul 24, 2014, 02:00 PM

The wife casually coupons, uses a few sites and stockpiles when there's a good combo of coupon and sale. Not like those crazy coupon lady shows, but enough that we never run out of condiments and whatnot.

So, not a good tracking system, but it is a way to avoid the issue.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 24, 2014, 03:03 PM

I usually have the opposite problem.

I buy something I already have, I had just forgotten where I put it.

Amazon finally telling me on their mobile site I've bought the shit before actually helps.

andi*pandi
Jul 24, 2014, 03:08 PM

We rely on a list system. As soon as something runs out, or when it's about to, it goes on the list. Before it goes on the list, the pantry/Costco stockpile is checked.

Unless I just say to heck with the list and impulse shop based on a vague psychic notion of our needs.

(milk not on the list? We always need milk, feh! )

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Jul 25, 2014, 11:34 AM

I make a list by checking in the fridge, cabinets etc and note what I'm out of. I make sure I always have coffee, sugar and milk. next up, butter tea bags, water and chicken and hamburger. Then stuff to eat with these items.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jul 25, 2014, 12:17 PM

A friend takes a few quick pictures of the inside of her fridge and pantry before shopping, just in case there's a dilemma. I thought it was ingenious.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

OreoCookie
Jul 25, 2014, 12:35 PM

Is it really that difficult to go shopping? Doesn't anyone rely on their memory alone? I only write things on a list which I rarely buy (e. g. shoe polish or something of that nature).
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 25, 2014, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
A friend takes a few quick pictures of the inside of her fridge and pantry before shopping, just in case there's a dilemma. I thought it was ingenious.
I should set up a webcam in my fridge

-t

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jul 25, 2014, 03:08 PM

Don't worry soon all food packaging will have rfid chips in them and then your fridge manufacture's website can tell you what you're missing.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 25, 2014, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
Is it really that difficult to go shopping? Doesn't anyone rely on their memory alone? I only write things on a list which I rarely buy (e. g. shoe polish or something of that nature).
Mots of us idiots rely heavily on lists when we go shopping, and I'm the opposite, if I have a very odd thing I need to pick up I'll most certainly remember it. The problem is taking care of all your avenues when making the list, sometimes the 1/4 full ketchup bottle you used last night doesn't register and bam, you're screwed at french fry time.

Thorzdad
Jul 25, 2014, 04:39 PM

If you can't be bothered to look in your pantry and see what you need, you don't deserve to eat.

Ham Sandwich
Jul 25, 2014, 07:13 PM

^ That make me laugh, I've forgotten more than my fair share...

OreoCookie
Jul 25, 2014, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Mots of us idiots rely heavily on lists when we go shopping, and I'm the opposite, if I have a very odd thing I need to pick up I'll most certainly remember it. The problem is taking care of all your avenues when making the list, sometimes the 1/4 full ketchup bottle you used last night doesn't register and bam, you're screwed at french fry time.
My father is the opposite, too, he'll write down everything. Everything. I understand that people are wired differently, and oddly enough, usually I consider my memory pretty shaky -- not when it comes to food, though Usually the only time I forget something is when my gf uses up something and doesn't tell me.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

andi*pandi
Jul 25, 2014, 10:06 PM

The more people there are using things up and shopping, the more inventory is hard to manage. The DH is very list-focused, brand name and package weight please. I walk up and down every aisle until something jogs my memory.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 26, 2014, 08:31 PM

There ARE apps for that, but they require you to essentially manually inventory EVERYTHING first, before you start making your list in order to help you keep up with what you have in stock.

We put together basic menus for the week, and then do a brief check of pantry, fridge and freezer before putting together a grocery list. Unless you have an automated fridge that scans all the barcodes on things you put in or take out, that's about the best way I've found to keep up.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Jul 26, 2014, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I usually have the opposite problem.

I buy something I already have, I had just forgotten where I put it.
I hate this! ^^^ It's usually a really stupid tool like a tape measure or a hammer. I probably have at least 3 of each at this point.
ebuddy

misc
Aug 1, 2014, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
I hate this! ^^^ It's usually a really stupid tool like a tape measure or a hammer. I probably have at least 3 of each at this point.
You might want to think about putting a toolbox on your list.

"And after we are through, ten years in making it to be the most of glorious debuts."

andi*pandi
Aug 1, 2014, 09:57 PM

put things in toolbox = magically disappear

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 1, 2014, 10:14 PM

One of the reason I like tool bags instead of boxes. Ones which zip close I leave open.

I recommend anything by Custom Leathercraft (CLC). Most of their stuff isn't leather. It's that canvasy shit they make backpacks out of.

If you were into stuff from Duluth Trading before they moved to mostly clothes, CLC bought a bunch of patterns from them.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 2, 2014, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
I should set up a webcam in my fridge

-t
But the light would be off. Probably.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 2, 2014, 06:51 AM

I don't use lists to shop but I live on my own and tend to do frequent small shops rather than less frequent big ones. I find if I buy more than a few days worth of food then half of it goes off before I eat it. I also forget to buy stuff I need reasonably regularly.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

misc
Aug 2, 2014, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
put things in toolbox = magically disappear
1. Toolbox.
2. Lock.

"And after we are through, ten years in making it to be the most of glorious debuts."

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 2, 2014, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
But the light would be off. Probably.
Most webcams these days include IR LEDs and night vision capabilities

-t

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 2, 2014, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Most webcams these days include IR LEDs and night vision capabilities

-t
Thats true, but it won't show you if your milk has turned green.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 2, 2014, 03:11 PM

LOL, I give you that.

-t

Ham Sandwich
Aug 2, 2014, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
I have the same problem with rolls of tape. I'll buy three more rolls of tape to cover my butt for when I lose the other two rolls.

.........so...I was just thinking...... the "cover my butt" part didn't come out right... hang on I'll fix it

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Aug 5, 2014, 03:07 PM

First problem I see, is the actual use of ketchup. That's problem number 1. What in the world would anyone need ketchup for. Secondly, lists. Why would you need a list? Can't remember? I suppose you need an alarm clock to remember to wake up as well, right? Can't you just, you know, remember to get up?

For the record, ketchup is never allowed in my house. I don't need lists to remember anything. Ever. And I've never had a need for an alarm clock in my life. Need to get up at 2:15am to get to the airport on time? Check. Can sleep in until 6am instead of 4am? Check. Have time for a quick nap for 1 hour and 7 minutes in the afternoon? Check. Never been late to work, have never missed a plane and always on time for all events.

Kids these days Ketchup, lists and alarm clocks.

Ham Sandwich
Aug 7, 2014, 03:02 PM

I'm afraid that my memory is very bad, and I cannot do what you can do as a human being.

So, I will need to use something like a list, I would imagine.

Forum Links
Forum Rules