Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > first 5 minutes of shrek 2

first 5 minutes of shrek 2
mdc
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2004, 09:09 PM

shrek 2 starts tomorrow and i went to www.shrek2.com and i noticed that after 8pm (EST) tonight you can watch the first 5 minutes.

i just watched it now and it looks great. it does not spoil anything that the trailers have not already told you. i can not wait until i get to see it tomorrow night.

www.shrek2.com

gorickey
Posting Junkie
May 18, 2004, 09:25 PM

Me like.

spatterson
Mac Elite
May 18, 2004, 09:28 PM

Thats sweet! I like that they have a high res version out... I will have to save it to the HD.

ryju
Professional Poster
May 18, 2004, 09:28 PM

Never really was a fan...

SamuraiDL
Mac Elite
May 19, 2004, 01:15 AM

i think that looks great!

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
May 19, 2004, 01:36 AM

I wasn't a fan of the first one.

The 3D modelling was fantastic, the animation was poor and the writing was horribly predictable. They made trendy jokes like Matrix fights and now in the new one LOTR jokes, not to mention obvious fart jokes.

The movie was not creative, well written or timeless like Pixars movies.

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
May 19, 2004, 01:44 AM

Looks very funny.

Though, I wonder if Donkey will be as awesome this time around...
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Turias
Mac Elite
May 19, 2004, 08:41 AM

Originally posted by Socially Awkward Solo:
I wasn't a fan of the first one.

The 3D modelling was fantastic, the animation was poor and the writing was horribly predictable. They made trendy jokes like Matrix fights and now in the new one LOTR jokes, not to mention obvious fart jokes.

The movie was not creative, well written or timeless like Pixars movies.
I've gotta agree with SWG on this one. The first Shrek gets a big thumbs down. Aside from a couple brilliant jokes and excellent CGI, most of it was drab and unoriginal.

I have no desire to see the second one, although I might grab it from Netflix depending on the reviews.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
May 19, 2004, 12:18 PM

I think Shrek2 will be better than Shrek 1. While I enjoyed the original, I didn't consider it anything to write home about.

Although I like Donkey. He's great. I always knew Eddie Murphy would make a great a$$.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
May 19, 2004, 12:39 PM

Best part of the first was the Gingerbread man interrogation. Just brilliant!

"The muffin man."
"The muffin man?"
"The muffin man!"

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

gorickey
Posting Junkie
May 19, 2004, 12:40 PM

I'll be seeing this in a few hours, I'll try to report back my thoughts...however, I don't spend very much time around here so we'll just have to see about that...

gorickey
Posting Junkie
May 19, 2004, 12:42 PM

Originally posted by MacNStein:
Best part of the first was the Gingerbread man interrogation. Just brilliant!

"The muffin man."
"The muffin man?"
"The muffin man!"

"You're a monster!"...

Hilarious.

"Not my little gum-drop buttons."

Turias
Mac Elite
May 19, 2004, 12:45 PM

That was the only part of the movie worth watching more than once.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
May 19, 2004, 01:00 PM

Originally posted by gorickey:
"You're a monster!"...

Hilarious.

"Not my little gum-drop buttons."
Of course, then there's the first time we heard the name "Farkwad" in the movie... and all of us were looking at each other thinking, "WHAT did he just say?!?".
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
May 19, 2004, 01:05 PM

Originally posted by MacNStein:
Of course, then there's the first time we heard the name "Farkwad" in the movie... and all of us were looking at each other thinking, "WHAT did he just say?!?".
Now that's something you miss when you watch it with subtitles, so you know it's spelled Farquaad (or however)... never thought of that before

The first five minutes of Shrek 2 look great to me... 'spect I'll be buying the DVD soon

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
May 19, 2004, 08:26 PM

Originally posted by spatterson:
Thats sweet! I like that they have a high res version out... I will have to save it to the HD.
Hmmmm.....I'm not able to do this. I am able to save other trailers after they've loaded via QT Pro.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
May 20, 2004, 12:21 AM

This sums it up for me from what I saw in the trailers:

"Parody is a medium which works best when done with subtlety. The Simpsons is a perfect example of this, with its parodies often so obscure and ingenious that, even though only a select few are in on the wit of the joke, they will remember it forever. Shrek 2 opens with a parody assault, touching on everything from Spider-Man to From Here to Eternity. Most of these parodies aren't really parodies at all, more mimicking the movies they reference than making any sort of satiric comment. Instead, it's just supposed to be funny that we are seeing Shrek (Mike Myers) hanging upside down being kissed by Fiona (Cameron Diaz), a la Spider-Man. These are often slightly amusing but also entirely overdone. The rest of the film throws in these parodies on occasion whenever the writers are apparently at a loss for an original laugh."

mixin visuals
Mac Elite
May 20, 2004, 12:51 AM

fur shizzle!
Technology, Computing & Creativity - www.clubmedia.com

Overflowing with Design Links - www.mixinvisuals.com

VW Sites.com - Links to the Volkswagen World - www.vwsites.com

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
May 20, 2004, 08:13 AM

This sums it up for me from what I saw in the trailers:

"Parody is a medium which works best when done with subtlety. The Simpsons is a perfect example of this, with its parodies often so obscure and ingenious that, even though only a select few are in on the wit of the joke, they will remember it forever. Shrek 2 opens with a parody assault, touching on everything from Spider-Man to From Here to Eternity. Most of these parodies aren't really parodies at all, more mimicking the movies they reference than making any sort of satiric comment. Instead, it's just supposed to be funny that we are seeing Shrek (Mike Myers) hanging upside down being kissed by Fiona (Cameron Diaz), a la Spider-Man. These are often slightly amusing but also entirely overdone. The rest of the film throws in these parodies on occasion whenever the writers are apparently at a loss for an original laugh."
Sorry, but that's just snobbish! Basically, the writer is saying that parody is only good when it's obscure and nobody gets it. Sorry, but I couldn't disagree more - I like parody that I actually get, and I like the way they mimick everything all on top of each other in movies like Shrek. I hadn't even thought about the Spiderman reference.

Then again, I don't think the Simpsons are all that funny, I think the humour is too immature. And yes, I think the mimicking humour in Shrek is less immature than the one in the Simpsons.

(All IMO, of course)

ghost_flash
Professional Poster
May 20, 2004, 10:27 AM

Uhm. Yuck. I'd rather rent "Scary Movie III" then watch it a dozen times with my eyes taped open... I feel nauseous just thinking about it.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
May 20, 2004, 10:45 AM

Originally posted by Gankdawg:
Hmmmm.....I'm not able to do this. I am able to save other trailers after they've loaded via QT Pro.
So use a dlmgr...

Tulkas
Grizzled Veteran
May 20, 2004, 11:12 AM

You want story, go read a book. You want funny, download Shrek 2 after it gets released on DVD.

Those cows won't know what hit 'em. They won't know what hit them even after it hits them, because they're cows.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
May 20, 2004, 12:02 PM

Originally posted by Ois�n:
Sorry, but that's just snobbish! Basically, the writer is saying that parody is only good when it's obscure and nobody gets it.
No, he is saying a parody is funny when they actually do a parody. Just because you see shrek kissing her upside down like in Spiderman does not make it funny. What did they write in or add that made it funny? You are just supposed to laugh because you are aware that they are referring to Spiderman.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
May 20, 2004, 12:50 PM

No, he is saying a parody is funny when they actually do a parody. Just because you see shrek kissing her upside down like in Spiderman does not make it funny. What did they write in or add that made it funny? You are just supposed to laugh because you are aware that they are referring to Spiderman.
Well, yes... and that's funny, I think... the way they change the partial removing of the mask to partial removing of mud, the simple fact that it's two ogres mimicking Spiderman in a swamp somewhere...

That makes it funny for me... it's perfectly fine by me that you (and whoever wrote what you quoted before) don't agree and think it's boring; I just don't think you (/he) have the right to degrade the fact that others find it funny by saying that it's not proper parody and when they do it like that it's just not fun. Okay, it's a bit of a thin line, but I just don't like that condescending tone that people get when they talk about what's "real comedy" and what's not; just as I don't like it when people do it with music, saying things like, "Anyone who can't see the true genius of [insert artist name here] is just a moron who doesn't Get® music"... it bugs me, 'cause there's no "funny" or "not funny" forms of parody, only forms that certain people will find funny and some will not.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
May 20, 2004, 12:55 PM

Originally posted by Ois�n:
Well, yes... and that's funny, I think... the way they change the partial removing of the mask to partial removing of mud, the simple fact that it's two ogres mimicking Spiderman in a swamp somewhere...
Funny thing is you called the Simpsons immature yet they did the EXACT same joke weeks ago on the show.

Guess it is funnier in 3D.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
May 20, 2004, 01:12 PM

Funny thing is you called the Simpsons immature yet they did the EXACT same joke weeks ago on the show.

Guess it is funnier in 3D.
Okay, not everything in the Simpsons is unfunny or immature - I can watch the Simpsons, I just don't generally think their kind of humour is that funny. But then again, I haven't seen more than 10-15 episodes of the Simpsons altogether, so I'm not going on extensive knowledge here...

The immature thing is just what sticks in my mind the most about the Simpsons - most of the jokes and situations (that I remember) involving Bart and Homer (especially if they're together)...

Forum Links
Forum Rules