Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Why does OSX use more disk space on my MBP

Why does OSX use more disk space on my MBP
silverflyer
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 4, 2007, 09:22 PM

than it did on my previous iBook?

honestly, I have no more stuff on my MBP C2D now than I did on my iBook and I am using 25.77gb.

My iBook only had a 30gb drive and I was only using about 16-17GBs. Why the big difference?

edit: also, I realize that a 120gb drive will never have a full 120gb capacity, but mine only has 111gb capacity, why is it losing so much?
( Last edited by silverflyer; Apr 4, 2007 at 09:32 PM. )
Mac Pro Dual Quad 3.2ghz, 4gb ram, 4x 1 Terabyte hdd's, 8800GT, 30inch Samsung display running OSX Leopard Server
15 inch Macbook Pro Unibody and Apple 24 inch LED Display.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Apr 4, 2007, 09:59 PM

Perhaps the iBook had fewer language packs installed, or printer setups that you don't need.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

silverflyer  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 4, 2007, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Randman View Post
Perhaps the iBook had fewer language packs installed, or printer setups that you don't need.

I used Monolingual on both machines to get rid of the stuff I dont need or want. I don't know how to delete the printer packs, so that was the same on both.
Mac Pro Dual Quad 3.2ghz, 4gb ram, 4x 1 Terabyte hdd's, 8800GT, 30inch Samsung display running OSX Leopard Server

silverflyer  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 4, 2007, 10:08 PM

Is there a way to see where all the disk space is going?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 4, 2007, 10:15 PM

Probably because Mac OS X for Intel installs all Universal binaries.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

silverflyer  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 4, 2007, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Probably because Mac OS X for Intel installs all Universal binaries.
And those are larger files?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 4, 2007, 10:55 PM

Yes. Strangely, though, even Intel only binaries are larger than their PowerPC counterparts.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2007, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by silverflyer View Post
OmniDiskSweeper or similar

analogika
Posting Junkie
Apr 5, 2007, 05:11 AM

edit: also, I realize that a 120gb drive will never have a full 120gb capacity, but mine only has 111gb capacity, why is it losing so much?
This gets asked every week or so - we really should make it a sticky.

The reason for this is that hard drive manufacturers for SOME BIZARRE REASON insist on figuring that 1 kilobyte = 1000 bytes, and 1 megabyte = 1000 kilobytes, and 1 gigabyte = 1000 megabytes.

That is standard decimal terminology.

However, for SOME EQUALLY BIZARRE REASON, computer engineers way back when decided to use kilobyte to mean not 1000 bytes, but 1024 bytes (since computers are based on binary, not decimal, math). Why they used kilo-, mega-, giga-, tera-, and peta- despite the fact that they don't mean what they do in every single other context is beyond me.

Anyway, that means that 120GB hard drives are sold in *decimals*, i.e. marketing Gigabytes (1000 x 1000 x 1000), while the computer sees them in binary gigabytes (1024 x 1024 x 1024), which comes out to about 111GB for a 120 marketing-GB hard drive.

This would be a disadvantage if it weren't common practise: ALL storage media manufacturers figure this way.

Incidentally, this is also the reason a 4.7GB DVD-R will hold 4.4GB of data.

Tsilou B.
Senior User
Apr 5, 2007, 05:16 AM

A really great application for that purpose is DiskInventoryX from http://www.derlien.com/. Be sure to download the "universal beta version" for the MacBook.

Curiosity
Senior User
Apr 5, 2007, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
Anyway, that means that 120GB hard drives are sold in *decimals*, i.e. marketing Gigabytes (1000 x 1000 x 1000), while the computer sees them in binary gigabytes (1024 x 1024 x 1024), which comes out to about 111GB for a 120 marketing-GB hard drive.
I thought that difference was because the formatting on the drive takes up some space, and the capacity quoted is the full size of the drive, not just the data storage area after formatting.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 5, 2007, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Curiosity View Post
I thought that difference was because the formatting on the drive takes up some space, and the capacity quoted is the full size of the drive, not just the data storage area after formatting.
That eats into it a little bit, but the big difference is because of what Analogika said.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Forum Links
Forum Rules