Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Minecraft

Minecraft (Page 23)
BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2011, 04:42 PM

Okay it looks like the crashing and save corruption bugs have been fixed. So has the block duplication bug. I'll update the server tonight for the long weekend for those of use without plans.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 1, 2011, 04:52 PM

Sweet. I've got to get back to work on the skyrail.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 1, 2011, 04:53 PM

Yeah, and I need to work on my 3,000 projects.

Fatty's ass needs to show up as well.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 1, 2011, 07:47 PM

Uh oh...

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jul 2, 2011, 12:10 AM

Redownload?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 2, 2011, 12:40 AM

Yup. Fixed.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 2, 2011, 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Uh oh...

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 2, 2011, 01:57 AM

I don't know how to respond to that.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 3, 2011, 01:35 PM

Tested the boosters and rail last night. Everything is working splendidly -- I just need to lay the last 150 pieces (or so) of track on the Salt Lake City side, which doesn't have any changes in elevation, thus won't require additional boosters.

Oh, and complete the tower so that it's accessible without climbing the pylon ladder.

I'm glad this project is almost over.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 3, 2011, 01:42 PM

I really need to find the time to look at this thing the next time you're on

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jul 3, 2011, 08:26 PM

Picture Time.
As everyone has discovered, squid re-spawn now instead of staying around like slimes do.

And to top it off I spotted my first spider jockey. He attacked my shortly after this and I was forced to kill him. I have a few other shots but he doesn't look like he's on the spider in them.

When I put in the moat I had to replace the blocks at the bottom of the wall. Which at the time meant ripping out all the half blocks above it, go pistons.

Andi's temple, her successful attempt at a wall less subtle than Dakar's, and for those who haven't been the door to the flower room way in the background.

The beginning. Sorry not much progress lately, I need to dig up the circle templates next.

I don't strip mine like Sek and Jawbone seem to be doing. I use a grid pattern thats more efficient. Then when I need a room, for a tree farm for example I use TNT to widen it. Here's a decent side view provided by a chunk error.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 4, 2011, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by BLAZE_MkIV View Post
Andi's temple, her successful attempt at a wall less subtle than Dakar's,
I question your use of the word subtle here.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 4, 2011, 07:24 PM

Alright, pic dump time. Haven't posted since I started the aqueduct.

The bridge extension of the wall. Glowstone makes some great in-ground lighting.

The view of the Wall and aqueduct from andi's.

Idol Valley at night, pre-Idol.

The Mother of Chunk Errors, Pt. I

The Mother of Chunk Errors, Pt. II

The most amazing view in the Nether

The Aqueduct, as seen from Fry's shoulder.

More Idol Valley looking the other way from the shoulder.

Fry at night.

I have to go pretty far away to get a decent pic of the Fry statue.

Terraforming, before and after:

There's a lot of sand in there.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 5, 2011, 10:41 AM

A few weekend notes:

I like the shears new functionality, the recipe is pure bullshit particularly in regards to trimming leaves, which burns out everything near instantaneously. I can't make shears out of stone, seriously? I can make a ****ing axe out of wood.

Still, with the ability to create hedges I enhanced and improved the road to my main gate, more effectively sequestering the edges.

Afterwards, I was finally inspired enough to mine the necessary obsidian to make the gatehouse redstone wiring creeperproof, and began construction on my moat. The moat is now completed, operational, and has already claimed three creepers and two sheep's lives, which is kind os surprising. As a side-effect, I was finally able to finish off those last touches on the aqueduct, which feeds the moat.

I also put down the road from idol Valley to the Hall of Justice.

All-in-all a very productive weekend.

andi*pandi
Jul 5, 2011, 10:59 AM

Wow, very productive!

I am stranded somewhere on Jawbone's skyway, as the connection became lost and stayed lost.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 5, 2011, 11:04 AM

Ah, I forgot to add, I also finished the tunnel from SLC to Idol Valley. Since I couldn't solve where an exit could efficiently exist, I instead rerouted it so it exits right behind the aqueduct safehouse, and created a back door for getting in.

JB, when are you gonna be on this week? I wouldn't mind tackling that oft forgotten dungeon now that I've gotten a good amount of projects off my plate.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 5, 2011, 12:54 PM

I'm going to be on Wednesday night for sure, hopefully Thursday night as well (depends on hotel connection). Definitely quite a bit this weekend though.

[EDIT]
Hotel tonight.
Home Wednesday.
Back out of town at hotel Thursday-Friday.
Home either late Friday night or Saturday morning.

All this after having made a massive trip to Florida and back this weekend. In the next two months, I've got two more trips to central-LA, northern Arkansas, San Francisco, New Orleans, Ohio, and Houston. Interpretation: I'll be on a few nights at a time, then I'll disappear for days at a time. Going to be ridiculous (and tiring).
( Last edited by Jawbone54; Jul 5, 2011 at 01:01 PM. )

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 5, 2011, 12:56 PM

Andi, are you stuck where the track runs out? Here's how it stands right now...

Start on my third floor at Fort Bone, put on cart, press button, ride rail up incline, then forward for an eternity. Once the L-turn is complete, the track will run out, but if you continue walking forward just a bit (about 150 blocks), you'll see the end with a ladder down the pylon to Salt Lake City. I'm constructing the tower, but haven't made significant process due to not being able to spend enough time in-game.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 5, 2011, 01:03 PM

Oh ****, I got my nomenclature screwed up. What the hell is your retreat we started a tunnel at?

Edit: Let me know when you want to do that dungeon crawl.

Edit 2: Oh, another thing I did this weekend: Enhanced Creeper Isle. It's half a stack of Obsidian from what I would deem final status. Just keep getting creepier and creepier (All faces now 100% mossy cobble).

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 5, 2011, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Oh ****, I got my nomenclature screwed up. What the hell is your retreat we started a tunnel at?

Edit: Let me know when you want to do that dungeon crawl.

Edit 2: Oh, another thing I did this weekend: Enhanced Creeper Isle. It's half a stack of Obsidian from what I would deem final status. Just keep getting creepier and creepier (All faces now 100% mossy cobble).
My retreat is now called the "Pool House," and Skyrail goes directly over it, just west of Fort Bone (my original home).

You free Saturday afternoon?

More obsidian on Creeper Isle? I'm curious.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 5, 2011, 04:55 PM

I can't believe I've never seen someone do this before. That looks fantastic.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 5, 2011, 05:39 PM

My my, I need to log in one of these days and see what's been going on in the world of bone.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 5, 2011, 06:30 PM

I can't believe I've never seen someone do this before. That looks fantastic.
It's gorgeous...CRAP...

As an aside, is it possible that 99% of all texture packs destroy the beautiful simplicity of Minecraft's graphics?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 6, 2011, 01:05 AM

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 6, 2011, 01:10 AM

Saw this on Jens Bergensten's Google+ page...

I believe it might be an NPC village.

Another (causing all sorts of speculation)...

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 6, 2011, 10:35 AM

As an aside, is it possible that 99% of all texture packs destroy the beautiful simplicity of Minecraft's graphics?
That depends how you define simplicity. Is it simple pixel count per texture? Stress on the eye? I'd call Super Mario Bros simple, but I wouldn't call it beautiful, with or without a comparison to Super Mario World. (Which reminds me, I rigged up my own custom textures for this version I want to test out).

But I am glad you brought it up, however, because I'm curious how everyone feels bout the new cobble texture. I don't think it's coincidence that they changed the texture that almost every texture pack seems intent on fixing because it's so horribly ugly. 'Course it's still ugly now, just less obtrusively so.

Edit: Also sprinting seems like a terrible, terrible idea.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jul 6, 2011, 12:34 PM

caps lock here we come. </nostalgia >

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 6, 2011, 01:18 PM

Another awesome idea I wish I'd heard/thought of before: Sewers (Gotta be TMNT tube style, right?)

(Speaking of awesome ideas, thanks to progress this weekend, the graveyard idea moved up a couple ticks towards the top of my to do list)

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jul 6, 2011, 06:15 PM

I just had an Idea for a prank. When someone new joins a server wait till they set up in a location and start building, then at y = 45 make a 128x128 plane of obsidian.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 6, 2011, 06:33 PM

That depends how you define simplicity. Is it simple pixel count per texture? Stress on the eye? I'd call Super Mario Bros simple, but I wouldn't call it beautiful, with or without a comparison to Super Mario World. (Which reminds me, I rigged up my own custom textures for this version I want to test out).

But I am glad you brought it up, however, because I'm curious how everyone feels bout the new cobble texture. I don't think it's coincidence that they changed the texture that almost every texture pack seems intent on fixing because it's so horribly ugly. 'Course it's still ugly now, just less obtrusively so.

I don't think "beautiful simplicity" is easily defined. I don't know why I think it's beautiful -- I just know that most texture packs I see people using uglify the game.

The new cobble texture is meh, but I for one appreciate the inclusion of sprinting. However, Notch was publicly asking for suggestions as to handle sprinting limits on Google+, and I saw everything mentioned from a stamina bar (No!) and too much sprinting depleting health (even worse). I wish there would be an invisible stamina bar, similar to CoD.

Another awesome idea I wish I'd heard/thought of before: Sewers (Gotta be TMNT tube style, right?)
I've got a few skins that would fit in perfectly with that.

(Speaking of awesome ideas, thanks to progress this weekend, the graveyard idea moved up a couple ticks towards the top of my to do list)
Would be nice to see zombies congregate there by the dozens.

I just had an Idea for a prank. When someone new joins a server wait till they set up in a location and start building, then at y = 45 make a 128x128 plane of obsidian.
Haaaaaaaaaa...

Wish I knew someone to invite.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 6, 2011, 06:48 PM

The new cobble texture is meh
Did you like the old texture better?

I for one appreciate the inclusion of sprinting. However, Notch was publicly asking for suggestions as to handle sprinting limits on Google+, and I saw everything mentioned from a stamina bar (No!) and too much sprinting depleting health (even worse). I wish there would be an invisible stamina bar, similar to CoD.
Jesus, no. Think of every game of CoD where you don't have marathon. What do you do? Run for as long as possible then start doing small bursts every couple seconds because walking at the normal rate blows by comparison.

I mean it's either stamina or (even worse) some type of sneaker type object which you'll have to worry about wearing out or carrying replacements of.

Not to mention it further devalues minecarts because before the last buff walking wasn't that much slower than minecarts on the shorter distances. And it makes the maps smaller, too.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jul 6, 2011, 07:03 PM

Jesus, no. Think of every game of CoD where you don't have marathon. What do you do? Run for as long as possible then start doing small bursts every couple seconds because walking at the normal rate blows by comparison.
In my Marathon days we assigned run to caps lock and left it on all the time. We'd even zig zag because it was slightly faster to travel on the diagonal. I kind of liked how Rainbow 6 handled it were your accuracy was tied to movement, though I feel they took it too far, that wouldn't work with Minecraft.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 6, 2011, 07:08 PM

Did you like the old texture better?
That's like asking which I prefer: crap or urine.

I mean it's either stamina or (even worse) some type of sneaker type object which you'll have to worry about wearing out or carrying replacements of.
Ooo...another slot to fill. I'm still irritated over shears.

Not to mention it further devalues minecarts because before the last buff walking wasn't that much slower than minecarts on the shorter distances. And it makes the maps smaller, too.
Good point.

In my Marathon days we assigned run to caps lock and left it on all the time. We'd even zig zag because it was slightly faster to travel on the diagonal. I kind of liked how Rainbow 6 handled it were your accuracy was tied to movement, though I feel they took it too far, that wouldn't work with Minecraft.
That's weird -- someone in that thread said something like, "Get your capslock ready," almost immediately.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jul 6, 2011, 07:17 PM

That's weird -- someone in that thread said something like, "Get your capslock ready," almost immediately.
I am legion.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 6, 2011, 09:05 PM

That's like asking which I prefer: crap or urine.
That was the entire point of the question.

Ooo...another slot to fill. I'm still irritated over shears.
Heh, maybe I should ask what everyone thinks is essential equipment.

Though the really irritating part about shears isn't the inventory slot for me, so much as having to constantly swap it in and out of the hotbar.

andi*pandi
Jul 6, 2011, 10:28 PM

sprinting is fine with me, considering how much hiking I do. It gets boring.

One good thing about shears, they are fast.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jul 7, 2011, 10:35 AM

Piston powered Railroad Door - Minecraft Forum

Someone beat me to a complete version, I have 75% of this, my current design turns instead of having 2x the pistons and has 2/3 the circuitry.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 7, 2011, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
One good thing about shears, they are fast.
Whihc reminds me, one disadvantage they have over donkey punching is after the donkey punch, the sheep is thrown back, away from where its wool lands. With the shears half the time I get into a shoving match over the damn wool.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 7, 2011, 01:53 PM

The track and tower are finally complete. Anyone who is interested in taking a look, just go to the third floor of Fort Bone (with the bed), and step outside. The track will take you on a long ride to Salt Lake City.

I was finally able to complete it after finding a ridiculously iron-heavy cave just a bit west of the tower. Careful if you venture in. It seems to be abnormally creeper-heavy as well.

andi*pandi
Jul 7, 2011, 03:13 PM

I wandered around Salt Lake a little yesterday. Like the stone tower. Spiders do like to jump over the wall though.

How did you build all that rail without falling to your death repeatedly. I fell off the ladder and had to book it to fetch my stuff.

Your retreat house is cozy. I probably should make a house over my new mine.

Why do dogs not avoid cactus???

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 7, 2011, 07:11 PM

Alright, well I've created a cactus farm across the bridge from my place. Not all that useful, but it was simple so I made it.

In case I didn't mention it, I also built a paper and sugar farm (and refinery) also across the bridge from my place. Both farms are right across from each other, and open to all, useless as they may be.

andi*pandi
Jul 7, 2011, 11:10 PM

the cactus farm is nifty. Is there a way to automate sugar farming?

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jul 7, 2011, 11:14 PM

You put a bunch of pistons to knock the top 2 layers off into a stream. hook them up to a redstone "clock." The cactus is nice enough to knock its own top off.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 8, 2011, 10:25 AM

I'm sure I could create a manual crank, at the cost of using more area and uglying up the design.

It takes like 15 seconds to harvest the entire room, max.

I started working on a semi-automated mushroom farm design, and really, I need to lay the pen down and walk away from the graph paper.

---

From the awesome ideas I'll never do files:

Create a mirror Dakarland in the nether, where the water is lava and replacing stone with sandstone. Imagine entering Creeper Isle and exited into a nether Creeper Isle.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jul 8, 2011, 11:39 AM

Create a mirror Dakarland in the nether, where the water is lava and replacing stone with sandstone. Imagine entering Creeper Isle and exited into a nether Creeper Isle.
But flip everything left to right.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 8, 2011, 11:40 AM

The ultimate mind**** touch.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 8, 2011, 11:46 AM

I wandered around Salt Lake a little yesterday. Like the stone tower. Spiders do like to jump over the wall though.

How did you build all that rail without falling to your death repeatedly. I fell off the ladder and had to book it to fetch my stuff.

Your retreat house is cozy. I probably should make a house over my new mine.

Why do dogs not avoid cactus???
I fell twice -- once in the water and once onto land (dying, of course). I believe Fatty was on and heard my frustrations at having to rush back in the dark.

What wall are the spiders climbing? They're not making their way up to the rail entrance, are they?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 8, 2011, 11:47 AM

From the awesome ideas I'll never do files:

But flip everything left to right.
The ultimate mind**** touch.
Would be freaking cool, I must admit. Can you imagine the frustrations of working in the Nether, dodging ghast attacks, replacing massive sections of the home, etc? Yeesh...

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 8, 2011, 11:49 AM

They probably cut through sandstone like butter, too, which would be the worst part of all.

andi*pandi
Jul 8, 2011, 12:02 PM

What wall are the spiders climbing? They're not making their way up to the rail entrance, are they?
Not sure... I was inside (railway to right, facing away from door) and I saw one come over the top of the left wall. Or maybe it spawned up there?

Forum Links
Forum Rules