Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New MacBook (black) caps lock problem

New MacBook (black) caps lock problem
CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Mar 21, 2008, 12:11 PM

Hi all -- I have a brand new MacBook (black) and all is great but the caps lock seems to only work if I make sure to stop typing fully, slowly press it and confirm the light went on, then continue typing again. I have OS X 10.5.2 with the Keyboard Update installed, and using the shift key works 100% of the time. This is also after a fresh restart without having the machine sleep either. Anyone else with this issue?

missingbite
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 22, 2008, 01:01 PM

I have had the same issues with my new MacBook. I have the black MacBook with the 250 GB hard drive. I thought it was just me but maybe we should let apple know about the problem. I will bring mine to the Genius Bar when I get back.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 22, 2008, 02:20 PM

it's something to do with the software. my old wired aluminum kb had the same problem, and so does my new wireless one from apple.

cms
Senior User
Mar 22, 2008, 02:35 PM

I had the same problem with two successive Apple wireless aluminum keyboard. It is most definitely a software problem as both perform flawlessly on an Intel iMac running OS X 10.4.11.

ChrisF
Senior User
Mar 23, 2008, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by cms View Post
I had the same problem with two successive Apple wireless aluminum keyboard. It is most definitely a software problem as both perform flawlessly on an Intel iMac running OS X 10.4.11.
That's intended operation: Apple Keyboard (2007): Caps Lock modified to reduce accidental activation
I assume that the latest MacBooks have been modified to operate the same way.

CheesePuff  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2008, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by ChrisF View Post
That's intended operation: Apple Keyboard (2007): Caps Lock modified to reduce accidental activation
Well I type fairly quick and it's definitely a pain to stop in the middle of a sentence and press it then resume instead of in the same motion just tap it.

missingbite
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 23, 2008, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisF View Post
Thanks for the article. I also type fast and not always accurately. This saved me a trip to the Apple store.

XTTX
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 24, 2008, 01:23 AM

I wish there was an option to change the timing windows of that feature. So that way it can be customized to the user rather than some standard. Just my .02

Forum Links
Forum Rules