Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPhone Software 2.0.1 released!

iPhone Software 2.0.1 released!
MartiNZ
Senior User
Aug 4, 2008, 06:53 PM

Wow am I really the first one to see this? I can't see any stories on it on the sites I frequent, but iTunes has just offered it to me and I'm downloading it as I type. Interesting timing; I was just planning to do a restore on my iPhone anyway, given that it is suddenly crashing to the home screen every few minutes ><.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2008, 06:55 PM

Cool! Lets hope it fixes some bugs!

I haven't seen it on any of the sites I frequent either.

Matt OS X
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2008, 07:09 PM

Yeah, looks like it was released few minutes ago. I'm downloading 2.0.1 now as well.

"Unfortunately, no one can be told what Mac OS X is... you must see it for yourself."

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2008, 07:53 PM

Available for iPod touch as well. Downloading...

damiensmunki
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 4, 2008, 07:54 PM

Takes a while to install. I started to panic, thinking my iPhone was now an incredibly attractive brick.

PHoynak
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 4, 2008, 07:57 PM

My phone is "Snappier". Sorry had to.... I just hope it fixes the bugs and crashes. So far so good.

burky79
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 4, 2008, 08:07 PM

246.7 MB

Large update.

Downloading for my iPod Touch right now.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Aug 4, 2008, 08:10 PM

Reportedly, the long backup and SMS lag were the major fixes, Updating atm. yhe

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 4, 2008, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by burky79 View Post
246.7 MB

Large update.

That's how big the OS is. They are always that size with 2.0 updates, it replaces the entire OS.

burky79
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 4, 2008, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
That's how big the OS is. They are always that size with 2.0 updates, it replaces the entire OS.
10-4, thanks!

burky79
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 4, 2008, 11:27 PM

246.7 MB

Large update.

Well... that was entirely useless.

I get a pop-up that says : The iPod "iPod" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (6).

I have tried every step in Apple Support article TS1275 : "Restore error messages on the iPhone and iPod touch".

I'm sure I'll have to try a downgrade, DFU or something similar... but haven't gotten that far yet.

Any suggestions?

BoingoBongo
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 4, 2008, 11:54 PM

Worked great for me! Things definitely seem to be running more smoothly (especially the contacts list).

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Aug 5, 2008, 12:30 AM

Considerably faster.
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

k2director
Senior User
Aug 5, 2008, 01:44 AM

The Contacts app is still appallingly slow, especially if you've been using other apps for a while already.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Aug 5, 2008, 01:50 AM

Still a few things to be worked on some features still lacking but overall a solid update that fixed a number of majorly nagging problems.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Aug 5, 2008, 02:00 AM

So far it seems much faster, or at least it feels more like the 1.x OS. No crashes or huge lags yet.

vtboyarc
Forum Regular
Aug 5, 2008, 02:24 AM

does it add any new features? like copy and paste?

gradient
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2008, 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by vtboyarc View Post
does it add any new features? like copy and paste?
funny guy.

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2008, 03:41 AM

Ok.

Updated, saw SMS was faster, everything worked great.

Then, as I'm sleeping tonight at about 3:00 AM my phone vibrated twice and woke me up, and showed the apple logo like it was booting up. I restarted it, and it has been in that state on and off for 30 minutes.

I've tried plugging it in iTunes, and iTunes freezes (yet iPhoto is still importing the pictures on there).

Usually I'd just wait to get this fixed, but I really really need my phone working by tomorrow morning. I don't know what else to do.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 5, 2008, 11:01 AM

The update worked fine for me. But as most international iPhone users I am now greeted by this error whenever I connect my iPhone to iTunes.

iTunes could not update the carrier settings on your iPhone. An unknown error ocurred (0xe8000001).

MikeD
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2008, 02:41 PM

Maybe you guys should try wiping the iphone clean and starting fresh? Good thing everything syncs w/contacts, ical etc and you just have to wait to have your mp3s and photos loaded. That happened to me at the beginning of 2.0 and I just redid everything.
2009 MacMini 2.0 C2D 4GB (3,1) - Needs update!
11" MBA (2010 1.6GHz C2D)
iPhone 4 / iPad!
Hooked on Apple since the IIGS

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 5, 2008, 02:59 PM

Update seemed to go fine here, and the fix to contacts is a terrific improvement.

olliepotts
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 5, 2008, 04:10 PM

Could the messsage that Simon got indicate that the regional carrier lock is dynamic? and changeable by iTunes?

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Aug 5, 2008, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
The update worked fine for me. But as most international iPhone users I am now greeted by this error whenever I connect my iPhone to iTunes.

iTunes could not update the carrier settings on your iPhone. An unknown error ocurred (0xe8000001).

Did you have airplane mode on? That seems to be the cause.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Aug 5, 2008, 04:25 PM

Another vote for everything working fine and much snappier™.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 5, 2008, 05:02 PM

Well... that was entirely useless.

I get a pop-up that says : The iPod "iPod" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (6).

I have tried every step in Apple Support article TS1275 : "Restore error messages on the iPhone and iPod touch".

I'm sure I'll have to try a downgrade, DFU or something similar... but haven't gotten that far yet.

Any suggestions?
No, don't downgrade. That happens every time I try to update my touch. Restart it by holding down the top and home buttons, then iTunes will tell you it needs to be restored.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

burky79
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 5, 2008, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
No, don't downgrade. That happens every time I try to update my touch. Restart it by holding down the top and home buttons, then iTunes will tell you it needs to be restored.
Thanks for the suggestion...

I tried that after reading your post. It did the same thing three times in a row, and it went back to the "restore and upgrade" prompt immediately. I try to do the restore... it goes through "expanding software", as I get the spinning thing on the iPod... then I get the error code. Rinse, repeat.

Still open to try other suggestions.

thanks again!

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2008, 08:48 PM

The phone finally went into recovery mode (it ignored the button press before) and iTunes saw the recovery iphone and reloaded off of an old backup. Now up and running 2.0.1 and everything seems OK ... knock on wood...

JohnM15141
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 5, 2008, 10:25 PM

My ordeal with 2.0.1. update starting with the release announcement:

Day 1: Oh look an update to my iPhone. Its version 2.0.1 and it fixes that pesky SMS lag I've been experiencing...

I better sync and save first...

1:40 minutes later, all 7 GB backed up! Now to download that update, 200+MB, no problem, I'm on broadband, 45 minutes later got it!

OK, Update! 2 hours later....

Set up a new iPhone or Restore? Heck thats an easy one! Just restore from the update that I just made!

3 hours later! "Sync your iPhone with iTunes" message on iPhone?... OK...?

Set up a new iPhone or Restore? Hey? Wait I just did that, Can't hurt to try again but I got to go to work early tomorrow so "Restore" and go to bed.

Wake up, cool all done!

Grab iPhone, go to work, pop in car cradle...no music...wait! No Music!

Freakin' iPhone has no Music and where is my password to open it, aw crap, there's nothing on it!

It didn't restore. Work the whole day being careful not to add any notes or messages to my iPhone like I usually do because it will be lost with a restore and update, heck it doesn't even know my .me account!

Go home, put iPhone in cradle and get message "New account or restore? Restore gotdamnitt! 3 hours later..."sync with your itunes" message on iPhone. So isync! SYNC! you Mo-Fo!

Long story short, each time I do this and put my iPhone in its cradle, I am met with the message: Setup Your IPhone-Set up as new, Resore?

I am P*ssed!
( Last edited by JohnM15141; Aug 5, 2008 at 10:37 PM. Reason: grammar)
----------------------------------------------------------
"He who is tired of Weird Al, is tired of life"
Homer J. Simpson, the 90's

JohnM15141
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 5, 2008, 11:32 PM

Just an update, I have tried it more than once and am always returned with the message from iTunes: Setup or restore iPhone. This really really sucks!

I chose and update from mid july....hopefully that works?
"He who is tired of Weird Al, is tired of life"
Homer J. Simpson, the 90's

MikeD
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2008, 12:28 AM

Hopefully, you can just setup (not restore) and then reload everything from ical/mail etc and then resync all music again. Restore didn't work for me because my backup was corrupted somehow so I just reset from scratch. Good luck.
iPhone 4 / iPad!

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 6, 2008, 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
Did you have airplane mode on? That seems to be the cause.
Nope. Airplane mode is off.

This error is somehow related to the update. People all over the world are experiencing it: O2 in England, Telefonica in Spain, Telia in Sweden, Orange in Switzerland, Softbank in Japan, Mobistar in Belgium, Sonera in Finland, Telcel in Mexico, etc.

http://www.tuaw.com/2008/08/05/3g-ip...-2-0-1-update/

Fortunately I can still use my iPhone. Others aren't that lucky. There are people on O2 that now have SIM-locked bricks thanks to this update. It appears Apple simply botched it for certain foreign carriers. More than 24h later and we still have no fix. Hello Apple? If you sell it abroad you should test your updates abroad as well.
( Last edited by Simon; Aug 7, 2008 at 03:50 AM. )

MikeD
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2008, 12:24 PM

is the phone jailbroken? (was)
iPhone 4 / iPad!

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 6, 2008, 01:32 PM

Nope. Never was.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2008, 12:11 AM

Seems they fixed Google maps so when you use gps and are moving without setting a destination it scrolls the map so you are always on screen. Thank god.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 7, 2008, 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
Seems they fixed Google maps so when you use gps and are moving without setting a destination it scrolls the map so you are always on screen. Thank god.
Interesting you mention that. For me this has always been the case. When I press the crosshairs button at the lower left the map always centers around the GPS "bubble". If I deactivate the crosshairs button, the map will stay where I put it regardless of where the bubble is. This works with and without setting a destination.

Different firmware version?

gradient
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2008, 02:52 AM

It didn't fix the periodic freezups I've been experiencing.... was hoping that it would. Every now and then the touchscreen stops working. I have to lock it, then unlock and everything works fine.... strangeness.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 7, 2008, 03:50 AM

Nope. Airplane mode is off.
Just out of curiosity I turned Airplane mode on and then back off again. And now the error has stopped popping up. What the hell?

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2008, 10:53 AM

So I was very lucky with my white 16 GB iPhone 3G purchase. Had it for almost 3 weeks -- no problems that others reported (never slow keyboard with SMS, no signal problems, battery was awesome (but I did calibrate it pretty good.)) Anywho I updated to 2.0.1 and it was only better. But then I did a full restore to stock with 2.0.1 yesterday and now it seems slower then before and I got the slow SMS keyboard response! But going back home then to the SMS app again seemed to fix it and hasn't happened yet but that was odd.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2008, 11:36 AM

Interesting you mention that. For me this has always been the case. When I press the crosshairs button at the lower left the map always centers around the GPS "bubble". If I deactivate the crosshairs button, the map will stay where I put it regardless of where the bubble is. This works with and without setting a destination.

Different firmware version?
Could have been a temp bug for me with 2.0 but it didn't work for sure when I didn't set a destination. 2.01 it works normally.

Rumor
Aug 8, 2008, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by CheesePuff View Post
So I was very lucky with my white 16 GB iPhone 3G purchase. Had it for almost 3 weeks -- no problems that others reported (never slow keyboard with SMS, no signal problems, battery was awesome (but I did calibrate it pretty good.)) Anywho I updated to 2.0.1 and it was only better. But then I did a full restore to stock with 2.0.1 yesterday and now it seems slower then before and I got the slow SMS keyboard response! But going back home then to the SMS app again seemed to fix it and hasn't happened yet but that was odd.
How did you calibrate the battery?
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

moep
Senior User
Aug 8, 2008, 04:37 PM

I would guess the same way you calibrate Macbook batteries: fully charge for multiple hours, drain the battery until the phone shuts off (have it play music for example) and let it sit turned off with the empty battery for another few hours.
Then charge to 100% again, done.
"The road to success is dotted with the most tempting parking spaces."

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Aug 8, 2008, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
How did you calibrate the battery?
I did a full charge, used it until it shut off from low power then charged it into the wall and didn't unplug it until it was fully charged. After that my battery life is awesome (but I don't use push updates and GPS is always off (unless I am using it in an app) but 3G is on and usually I'm only in 2-3 bar areas and brightness is 40%).

Forum Links
Forum Rules