Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Looking for pre-made HotSpot router with traffic filtering

Looking for pre-made HotSpot router with traffic filtering
timmerk
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2009, 09:00 PM

A local restaurant owner asked me to set up a wireless network for his restaurant a few months ago. Everything had been going well, but now there are always 10+ people downloading 100 movies off of BitTorrent at the same time. The internet connection is only a DSL, so it affects legit users from browsing the web (google takes 5+ minutes to load). The router I installed doesn't have traffic shaping or protocol blocking.

Anyone know where I can find a cheap pre-made HotSpot router that can block LimeWire/BitTorrent/etc easily? Or at least can block everything expect HTTP data? I looked into OpenWRT and all the related projects, but unfortunately it seems too complicated for me to set up. I need a plug-n-play router with a simple web GUI to turn on the blocking. Hopefully under $200.

Thanks!

ibook_steve
Feb 18, 2009, 09:13 PM

What router do you have that doesn't have the ability to block certain ports (i.e. a firewall)?

Any consumer router (Apple, Belkin, Linksys, etc.) would do the trick.

Steve

P.S. 3000th post!
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

timmerk  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2009, 09:15 PM

Unfortunately, BitTorrent clients use any port, so blocking the standard range for BitTorrent doesn't work. I need something that can inspect that actual traffic, or just limit traffic to port 80.

ibook_steve
Feb 18, 2009, 09:20 PM

You should be able to set up a firewall rule to block everything except port 80 (you'd probably want email ports open, too; see http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/~rakerman/port-table.html). What router do you have?

Steve

timmerk  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2009, 09:25 PM

D-Link DSL-2640B

ibook_steve
Feb 18, 2009, 09:45 PM

Page 40 of the manual (ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Broadband/dsl264...Manual_100.zip) shows you exactly how to do this.

Steve

Forum Links
Forum Rules