Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iBook ordering thread

iBook ordering thread
andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2003, 04:00 AM

I just ordered a 12" iBook G4 stock config. and a 512 MB chip, separately.
I'm upgrading from an iBook 600.

Who's joining the wait-for-the-book-torture?

juusan
Forum Regular
Oct 26, 2003, 10:56 PM

me! shipping Nov 3 or sooner from overseas... sigh.

]
-> 20" iMac Core Duo, 1GB RAM, lame superdrive that burns at 2x
-> MacBook Pro 2GHz Core Duo, 2GB RAM
-> MacBook 2.16GHz Core Duo, 2GB RAM

Kermy
Oct 26, 2003, 11:01 PM

Ordered this weekend from macconnection with next day air. Hopefully it'll be here Tuesday.

rilina
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2003, 11:16 PM

I ordered a 12" iBook with 384 MB extra ram from MacMall on Thursday night. It's supposed to ship Monday via 2nd day air. *crosses fingers*

I'm upgrading from a special edition clamshell - it's served me well, but it's time to move up in the world.

dbergstrom
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 27, 2003, 04:14 AM

Ordered Thursday through a reseller. Bumped my new baby up to 640Mb RAM, 60 GB HD, built-in Bluetooth, Airport Extreme. Apple said it would ship in 3-5 business days. Here's hoping it comes next week.
Don

webcookie
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 27, 2003, 06:03 PM

I ordered mine on Friday and it will be shipping on or before November 3rd; I hope it comes before that. My AirPort shipped today from California via Airborne Express.

800mhz, 12", 640mb ram, 40gb hard drive
iBook G4: 800mhz, 640mb, 40gb ("Astrid")
iPod: 30gb Photo ("Gordon"), 1gb Shuffle ("Tinker Bell")
For the record: I am female

Mallrat
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 28, 2003, 01:25 AM

Originally posted by dbergstrom:
Ordered Thursday through a reseller. Bumped my new baby up to 640Mb RAM, 60 GB HD, built-in Bluetooth, Airport Extreme. Apple said it would ship in 3-5 business days. Here's hoping it comes next week.
How did you order through a reseller, but bump up the specs?

dbergstrom
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 28, 2003, 01:55 AM

Originally posted by Mallrat:
How did you order through a reseller, but bump up the specs?
It was somebody that I know who can do BTO through Apple. I'm not sure what his relationship to Apple is - authorized reseller or what. I bought through him because he was buying my iBook 500, and I wanted to support his business.
Don

juusan
Forum Regular
Oct 28, 2003, 05:10 PM

we should post to this thread when they actually start to arrive so that the rest of us will know they're on their way...

wvx
Forum Regular
Oct 28, 2003, 05:12 PM

Ordered from Macconnection on Sunday the 26th, it showed this morning (Tuesday the 28th) Airborne. $25 shipping no tax!

I wanted to BTO from apple... 60 GB HD and a Bluetooth module but I needed it right away and didn't really want to pay the sales tax... does that make me a bad person?

I just sold my iBook 500 last month on eBay for $700... I was stoked

MRTrauffer
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 28, 2003, 06:33 PM

Originally ordered a 900 G3. But Apple Store automatically upgraded my order, and it was $50 cheaper.

Expected ship date 11/5, expected arrival date 11/10
I gotta have more cowbell.

rilina
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2003, 10:47 AM

It's here! Have the 12 inch 800 Mhz, with some extra RAM. Ordered Thursday night, shipped Monday via 2nd day air, arrived bright and early today.

I'm at work, so I haven't really gotten a chance to play with it yet. Lunchtime needs to come quickly!

webcookie
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 29, 2003, 11:15 AM

I ordered my iBook on the 24th and it shipped this morning from Taiwan via FedEx. It's estimated delivery date is the 3rd by 10:30a.

MRTrauffer
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 30, 2003, 02:00 PM

My 14" G4 iBook shipped this morning and should arrive morning of 11/04. Can hardly wait! My first Mac!

Eciton
Forum Regular
Oct 30, 2003, 02:13 PM

Ordered last Friday, shipped today (30/10/03) - not sure when it'll arrive, get through HM Customs, get on the van and get to me, but I hope it's not long - I'm excited!

juusan
Forum Regular
Oct 30, 2003, 03:14 PM

IBOOK 12.1/800G4/640/60/CMBO/AP/LL
Shipped

1 Shipped 10/30/2003

Carrier : FEDERAL EXPRESS

Oct 30, 2003 11:07 pm

Arrived at FedEx Ramp

TA YUAN HSIANG TW

4:38 pm

Left FedEx Origin Location

TAOYUAN CITY TW

2:45 pm

Pickup status

TAOYUAN CITY TW

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Oct 30, 2003, 04:18 PM

Originally posted by MRTrauffer:
My 14" G4 iBook shipped this morning and should arrive morning of 11/04. Can hardly wait! My first Mac!
Wow, CONGRATS!! Nice first Mac!

You got extremely lucky to get bumped from the 900 to the top-of-the-line G4 iBook! Be sure to post pics when it arrives...to my knowledge, you just may be the first person on these boards to get a 14" G4 iBook.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

wildcard
Forum Regular
Oct 31, 2003, 04:54 AM

on or before 11/3-very pleased to see Jusaan's shipped early as that may mean mine will too

did a BTO with a 40 GB drive and Airport Extreme...Got mine in a very unusual way-the Apple employee friends and family discount

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2003, 11:13 AM

Originally posted by AssassyN:
TiBook 800DVI: 800Mhz/1GIG/40GB IBM 5400RPM~8MB cache/ComboDrive/AirPort
MDD PowerMac G4: Dual 1.25Ghz | 2GB RAM | 80GB + 120GB | SuperDrive + ComboDrive | GeForce 4 Ti 128MB
23" Apple HD Cinema Display + 17" Apple Studio Display
10gig & 15gig iPods

I Corinthians 13:4-8
Now thats a setup Last time I looked there you had a 12" Powerbook did you change or did I misread?
we don't have time to stop for gas

drlaine
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 31, 2003, 06:12 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by AssassyN:
Wow, CONGRATS!! Nice first Mac!
...to my knowledge, you just may be the first person on these boards to get a 14" G4 iBook.
[/QUOT
My 14" ibook just shiped today, should have by 11/6!!!!!!!
1ghz/640/60gig/combo/bltth/aprt extr/
Think I'll call off work that day to play.
(insert fake sick instant smile)

StuartB
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 31, 2003, 06:40 PM

I've never owned a Mac but I'm interested in a 12" iBook. From reading these threads...is it not possible to buy a customized one in stores? I want a 12" with Airport, BT, 640MB ram, and 60GB hdd. I was hoping I could just goto the store and get it.

dbergstrom
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 31, 2003, 09:52 PM

Originally posted by StuartB:
I've never owned a Mac but I'm interested in a 12" iBook. From reading these threads...is it not possible to buy a customized one in stores? I want a 12" with Airport, BT, 640MB ram, and 60GB hdd. I was hoping I could just goto the store and get it.
That's the config I bought. You have to buy through Apple build-to-order. Mine comes Monday. My wait will be 10 days and is worth every minute.
Don

im_noahselby
Senior User
Nov 1, 2003, 12:07 AM

I would love to buy a new iBook BTO machine, however, aren't you people at all concerned about dead pixels? If you order a BTO machine, there is a chance (slim, but still present) that you could have a dead pixel smack in the centre of the screen, and for me, this would ruin my purchase.

By ordering a BTO machine, you will not be able to return your system. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can't even return a BTO machine by paying a restocking fee. However, if you buy a stock config machine, many retailers will accept it back with no re-stocking fee or nuisance.

Just a thought

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

juusan
Forum Regular
Nov 1, 2003, 12:31 AM

Originally posted by StuartB:
sadly, no... that's what I was hoping to do. the apple stores won't sell any BTOs.

DennyA
Nov 1, 2003, 01:12 AM

Mine's set to ship on or before 11/5. 12", 60GB, 640MB, Bluetooth, Airport.

This will be my 2.5th Mac. The last one was a Mac Classic I bought for my then-girlfriend-now-wife from my employer for $200 (including a 70-pound LaserWriter printer) in 1994. The .5th Mac before that was an Emplant emulator card in an Amiga circa 1992. :-)

StuartB
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 1, 2003, 02:38 AM

Originally posted by juusan:
sadly, no... that's what I was hoping to do. the apple stores won't sell any BTOs.
Dang...

Guess I'll still go to the Apple Store to see one in person.

dbergstrom
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 1, 2003, 01:47 PM

Woohoo!

I just checked my FedEx tracking and my iBook arrived at my local FedEx station about 10 minutes before I checked the tracking. I called FedEx and they told me to come on down and pick it up!

As soon as my 8 week-old daughter wakes up from her nap, we're on our way (my new REAL baby still takes precedence over my new COMPUTER baby)!
Don

mgl
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 1, 2003, 02:26 PM

I just ordered a 12" G4-800/40GB/640MB/Airport Extreme/Bluetooth from the Apple Store - Canada.

I debated on the 40 vs. 60 GB hard drive. Was $37 more for the 40 over the 30 but another $75 above that for the 60. I don't and won't need that much space (current need is 20) and I wasn't sure if there was any power penalty for the 60. I wish there were specs for the 40 vs. 60, or are there?

rserkes
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 1, 2003, 03:24 PM

My new iBook will arrive on the evening of December 25. One of Santa's little elves told me so.
Richard D. Serkes

discotronic
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2003, 03:35 PM

Originally posted by rserkes:
My new iBook will arrive on the evening of December 25. One of Santa's little elves told me so.
That would just about put me in my grave having to wait that long. Better later than never

JEB
Nov 1, 2003, 03:42 PM

Nice choice on the extra 512 . . . I noticed prices have always been high(er) on pre-config ram, but it seems more reasonable now, and now I'm making more money, and wouldn't mind paying the extra 15-25% . . . maybe I'm crazy.
( Last edited by JEB; Nov 1, 2003 at 03:52 PM. )
'Simplify. Simplify.' --Thoreau

JEB
Nov 1, 2003, 03:45 PM

Good choice on the bump-ups (said the same to orig post); I heard that BlueTooth must bee pre-installed (via built-to-order), a now - or - never situation . . . was it just PowerBooks, or iBooks too?

60 gb -- well, that's great!
'Simplify. Simplify.' --Thoreau

dbergstrom
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 1, 2003, 08:02 PM

Woohoo!

I just checked my FedEx tracking and my iBook arrived at my local FedEx station about 10 minutes before I checked the tracking. I called FedEx and they told me to come on down and pick it up!

As soon as my 8 week-old daughter wakes up from her nap, we're on our way (my new REAL baby still takes precedence over my new COMPUTER baby)!
Friggin' FedEx!

I drag my eight-week old baby 20 minutes to the FedEx station just to have them tell me I won't be able to pick up my new iBook. They said that it was not yet unloaded, and they did not have the manpower to unload it today. If it wasn't unloaded, then how did it get scanned? It came off the truck somehow.

At least they were REALLY nice. It kept me from getting mad.

Oh well, guess I wait until Monday!
Don

Macvault
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 2, 2003, 01:53 PM

I ordered a new iBook G4. It shipped Friday night PST from Tiwan. The FedEx tracking says it was received at the ramp (after cutoff time), but now it's sunday and it still says the same thing. I payed $15 for the 2day shipping. So, has my iBook just been sitting there at the fedex ramp since Friday night? Or has it been on it's way and the FedEx tracking results just not updated on the weekends??? Anyone know how this works?

Arrived at FedEx Ramp TA YUAN HSIANG TW 11/01/2003 20:12
Left FedEx Origin Location TAOYUAN CITY TW 11/01/2003 17:53
Pickup status TAOYUAN CITY TW 11/01/2003 17:26 Package received after FedEx cutoff time

enckwanzer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 3, 2003, 01:04 AM

I'm in the exact same boat: shipped Friday, stuck at C.K.S. INTL AIRPORT TW, paid for 2-day FedEx, but not expected to deliver until Nov 6. So...

I called Apple and asked what was up. They told me that the FedEx site may be wrong and it *should* arrive by Wednesday; but if it didn't, that I should call back and they'd refund the shipping. Checked my email later and they'd already refunded the shipping I'm still crossing my fingers for an earlier delivery, though.

egarc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 3, 2003, 01:41 AM

I will hopefully be a happy owner of a new iBook tomorrow by 10:30.

Nov 1, 2003
6:26 am
Left FedEx Ramp_
SAN ANTONIO TX_

Oct 31, 2003
6:00 pm
Arrived at FedEx Ramp_
SAN ANTONIO TX_

3:29 pm
Left FedEx Sort Facility_
MEMPHIS TN_

11:59 am
Arrived at Sort Facility_
MEMPHIS TN_

10:29 am
Left FedEx Sort Facility_
INDIANAPOLIS IN_

2:48 am
Arrived at Sort Facility_
INDIANAPOLIS IN_

Oct 30, 2003
8:18 pm
Left FedEx Ramp_
C.K.S. INTL AIRPORT TW_

enckwanzer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 3, 2003, 11:40 AM

Update:

I called FedEx this morning and they told me that my iBook should be delivered Wednesday 11/5, before the end of the business day. That's a day earlier than the FedEx tracking page indicates, but still longer than it probably should have been. Go figure.

FYI, there's also a thread at the Apple forum at http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]

DennyA
Nov 3, 2003, 11:51 AM

Mine should be here Wednesday -- it's showing at the ramp at the airport in Taiwan now. Not bad for a custom-ordered config (12", 60GB/640MB/BT/Airport) ordered on Friday afternoon.

I'm excited. Reminds me of the good old days in the 80s when I actually got to occasionally experience a new computer platform very few years.

darcybaston
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 3, 2003, 03:11 PM

I've been having fun clicking around orders and saved one in my profile for hopefully a purchase in the coming month. An Apple sales rep called me out of the blue to ask if I had any questions or comments before completing my order and volunteered to be my personal contact for any future questions/concerns and of course...purchase.

I know it's a business/customer service/get my money thing but y'know...it was well done and I appreciated the call.

So yeah, save an iBook in your Apple store profile for a while and you may get an invitation to be taken care of LOL! I hope to order a stock 14" 1GHz in a month.
Macbook (white glossy) 2.16GHz | 4GB RAM | 7200RPM HD | 10.5.x

andreas_g4  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2003, 03:12 PM

I had to cancel my order due to financial reasons. Earlier this year I had an self-inflicted car accident and I just got mail from the coutry-court. Seems that I have to pay a penalty. Oh well, there goes my G4 iBook...

darcybaston
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 3, 2003, 03:21 PM

*consoles Andreas*

Cars...money pits that take us away from computing goodness. Could you direct that penalty to your insurance co.? Or get a loan or defer payments or sell something? Just trying to get something cool and white iny our hands.
Macbook (white glossy) 2.16GHz | 4GB RAM | 7200RPM HD | 10.5.x

andreas_g4  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2003, 04:00 PM

Originally posted by darcybaston:
*consoles Andreas*

Cars...money pits that take us away from computing goodness. Could you direct that penalty to your insurance co.? Or get a loan or defer payments or sell something? Just trying to get something cool and white iny our hands.
Thanks. I guess I'll just wait for Nov. 10th, and see what justice puts on my shoulders... Maybe I can get a 2nd gen G4 iBook next year.

juusan
Forum Regular
Nov 3, 2003, 04:32 PM

Originally posted by Macvault:
I ordered a new iBook G4. It shipped Friday night PST from Tiwan. The FedEx tracking says it was received at the ramp (after cutoff time), but now it's sunday and it still says the same thing. I payed $15 for the 2day shipping. So, has my iBook just been sitting there at the fedex ramp since Friday night? Or has it been on it's way and the FedEx tracking results just not updated on the weekends??? Anyone know how this works?

same goes for me. my ibook's been sitting at the airport for three days now and JUST got a departure scan

mikeini
Forum Regular
Nov 3, 2003, 07:02 PM

• Thanks. I guess I'll just wait for Nov. 10th, and see what justice puts on my shoulders... Maybe I can get a 2nd gen G4 iBook next year.

2nd gen g4? thats already in the works?

webcookie
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 3, 2003, 07:39 PM

My iBook is here!! I am typing on it at this very moment. It's very hot, just like my old Dell laptop. It has one dead pixel on the edge of the screen which doesn't bother me. I had some problems with my AirPort, but all is well now.

Switch status: success.

DennyA
Nov 3, 2003, 08:41 PM

Hmmm... Sounds like Apple got a good deal on 12" screens with one dead pixel. :-/ Lots of reports of just that. You'd think on a dinky screen like that they'd have a better track record -- my 15" and and 19" desktop LCDs have no dead pixels at all.

Ah well, my 12" iBook left CKS Intl. Airport in Taiwan at 7:53 pm Taiwan time. So I'll find out on Wednesday.
( Last edited by DennyA; Nov 4, 2003 at 12:33 PM. )

enckwanzer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 3, 2003, 10:57 PM

If there's dead-anything, I'm going to be quite upset. It's taken a lot to get me to come back to Mac after the G4 chip shortage/ordering mixup of '95 . . . an unhappy iBook now would probably ruin it for me.

Latest shipping info: 2:50pm Left FedEx Sort Facility ANCHORAGE AK

If they go/went straight from AK to Indy, I might have my iBook tomorrow! I'm far too excited.

MRTrauffer
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 4, 2003, 10:16 AM

Originally posted by MRTrauffer:
Well, it seems that I'm not the only one that was waiting for my 14" iBook this week. I'm not really impressed with FedEx's tracking system. It's really slow on the refresh. My iBook was recieved after the cutoff time on 10/31. Their website said that the expected delivery would be today before 10:30, but alas, it sits in Indianapolis waiting to clear customs. So it won't get here today. Unfortunatly I'm going out of town this evening and won't be back until sunday afternoon. So even though it was shipped a week early, I still have to wait an extra week. Bummer javascript:smilie('')

Have a good week anyway. I'll post when I get it and try it out.

enckwanzer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 4, 2003, 10:31 AM

I agree with MRTrauffer -- FedEx trackng has been sucking. I find this odd given that I've had really good experience with FedEx tracking before. It seems, however, that (a) tracking gets more precise once the packeage makes it to the U.S. and (b) the tracking system overestimates delivery time. I had an estimated delivery of Thursday (11/6), but now it looks like it'll be delivered today. My advice to MRTrauffer: don't lose hope; the tracking may just need to be updated (as mine finally was in the last 12 hours).

HaloMouse
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 4, 2003, 08:57 PM

Definitely in on the wait-torture.

Ordered mine on October 14th. Ended up being about $20 short in my account. Best financial mistake ever. They suspended my order.

Sorted everything out on the 16th. Waited impatiently. Watched as my other toys headed out (my retractables and the extra battery). They all got here before the iBook even shipped.

Checked one morning to find the iBook cancelled, and freaked out (it was supposed to have shipped between that day and two days later), and the G4 in its place (hadn't seen that "G4" bit yet, though). I am figuring I would have gotten the G3 if I hadn't screwed up. Bless human error.

Called them. Got the only incompetent person I have ever talked to at Apple, who finally transferred me to a woman who told me the G4s had come out that morning, so they'd bumped me up (with education discounts [which I love], it ended up being $28 or so cheaper [which I had to call to fix; they'd kept the old price], and much awesomer, if that's a word).

"Oh," said I. Asked her what the range was on the shipping estimate (31st-5th of Nov.--I like knowing the range...). Shipped the 30th. Delight.

But I of course had to order one of the 14-inch ones (which, according to an Apple press release, shipped at the earliest a week after the first 12-inchers). It is now three weeks later. (And I had to sit next to a girl with one on the long plane ride back from my mom's wedding this weekend. THAT was torture.) And FedEx says it is supposed to be delivered today at 4:30. Amusingly, it is currently 7:15, and it is apparently still suck in customs in Indianapolis. Sigh. (On the other hand, it was originally quoted as shipping by tomorrow.)

But is it ever going to be hot. It's the delicious 1GHz one with AirPort (and no maxed-out RAM because I am not cool like everyone else, because I am a poor college student who delightfully got an unexpected gift from her aunt and had saved up from working like a slave this summer [yes, I realize the irony of "I'm poor, but I was just able to spend a bunch of money"]). But I am the only kid in the family who has never been bought a computer (out of five, including two new step-sibs, spanning ~16 years). And I'm incredibly proud that I was able to do this myself (though I've admittedly been thinking of getting this parent-subsidized...we'll see).

(Even more of a tangent: It's worth noting that my current computer consists of our old family Mac's HD [size: 250MB] and a hand-me-down PowerMac 9600 from a friend who works for his school's IT and also got it as a hand-me-down [HD size: 4GB]. Rainbow apples everywhere. Your iPods can kick its butt in storage. Sigh.)

Now if only it would get here.

[Phew. Sorry for the rambly ramble. I just...whee...am not able to concentrate on anything else right now.]

-Liene the parentheses freak

Forum Links
Forum Rules