Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Online manuals?

Online manuals?
DennyA
Nov 3, 2003, 04:19 PM

New iBook will be here Wednesday.

Looked around Apple's site to see if the documentation was available online in PDF format. Couldn't find it.

Anyone know if the G4 iBook or Panther manuals are available on Apple's site? Would love to do some preparatory reading.

If not, any suggestions on a good "getting started" for someone who's adding an iBook to a stable of XP machines, and whose last real experience with Macs was in the days of System 7 and his Mac Classic?

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2003, 11:36 PM

DennyA  (op)
Nov 4, 2003, 12:19 AM

Thanks for the link. Looks like no G4 iBook or Panther stuff is up yet.

DennyA  (op)
Nov 4, 2003, 08:45 PM

The one thing I did fine was the tech reference, which at least had some good geek details:
http://macnn.com/rd.php?id=13026

Ah well. The real thing with paper manuals should be here before 10:30 am tomorrow. :-)

engaged
Location: Close to the sea and a place with a big, big castle...
Nov 5, 2003, 04:32 AM

Originally posted by DennyA:
Ah well. The real thing with paper manuals should be here before 10:30 am tomorrow. :-)
Paper manuals?! Hope you don't get too disappointed...

DennyA  (op)
Nov 5, 2003, 10:05 AM

Aw, you're kidding... The "user friendly" Macintosh doesn't even include decent paper documentation?

So I guess that's why Pogue's books are called the "Missing Manuals," eh?

-Q-
Nov 5, 2003, 10:28 AM

Originally posted by DennyA:
Aw, you're kidding... The "user friendly" Macintosh doesn't even include decent paper documentation?

So I guess that's why Pogue's books are called the "Missing Manuals," eh?
They come with some paper documenation, but yeah it's minimal manuals. Like every other vendor, they expect you to use their built-in helps system.

darcybaston
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 5, 2003, 10:43 AM

I had to laugh when I first got my DV SE iMac in 2000. There was a setup manual that had no words, just a few pictures showing a hand putting a wire here, a wire there.

Sure beats the WinXP setup guide that comes with Dells. But even those novellas are funny because in the first 3 pages are copyrights and trademarks saying Apple did this and Apple owns that. Truetype fonts no less.
Macbook (white glossy) 2.16GHz | 4GB RAM | 7200RPM HD | 10.5.x

DennyA  (op)
Nov 5, 2003, 11:42 AM

Ah well. The basics must be pretty easy to figure out, given that I'm posting this from my NEW 12" iBOOK! :-) And all I took out of the box was the notebook. Turned it on, went through the setup interrogation, downloaded the updates, and I'm now online. Very nice.

I'm actually mostly interested in stuff like the command line, which I'd expect you'd need a third-party book for anyway.

So far, it's pretty intuitive, other than the "window close" box being on the wrong side of the screen. :-)

Forum Links
Forum Rules