Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 12" iBook battery feet?

12" iBook battery feet?
DennyA
Nov 12, 2003, 09:04 PM

Well, the "foot" fell off the battery on my week-old iBook G4. Anyone had any luck getting replacements from Apple on this? What's the best approach to contacting them on something this piddly yet annoying?

bleee
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 12, 2003, 10:31 PM

Originally posted by DennyA:
Well, the "foot" fell off the battery on my week-old iBook G4. Anyone had any luck getting replacements from Apple on this? What's the best approach to contacting them on something this piddly yet annoying?
If you goto an apple store they will probably give you a replacement. But the thing is I recently bought a new battery and I tried to pry the old feet of my old one and stick it on the new because the feet on the new battery is higher than the old ones on my iBook but it was glued on, even when I put the feet back on the the old battery it didn't stay.

DennyA  (op)
Nov 13, 2003, 01:13 AM

Yeah, an Apple store would be great -- if there was one within 200 miles!

Hey, wait a minute... Here's my excuse to visit Small Dog! They're only about a half-hour from me!

vvedge
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 13, 2003, 02:31 AM

Er, the feet from the battery and the feet from the 3 other corners of the ibook are different. If you need proof, carefully pry off one of the other feet, and look at the grooves.

I took my battery to apple and they didnt have any feet for the battery. So they actually recommended that I get a new battery. They even set me up with a case number with apple phone support.

I called them up, they said they didnt see why they should replace the whole battery for just the foot. So they tried to push onto me their $6 complete pack of 4 feet, including the battery foot. Not good. I talked them out of it by telling them that the foot had fallen off, I tried to reattach the foot, and I really hadn't lost the foot. I suggested that if they sent me a replacement foot, what difference is that foot from the foot I had in my hand? And if it didnt work, what would they do about it then?

I was put on hold... couple minutes later, they were back and they agreed to replace my battery. Not too shabby.

This happened about 3-4 months ago. Definitely be patient and don't authorize the repair if they're going to charge you. The battery foot is the one foot that has no excuse for falling off. Especially a new iBook.
--whats this button do?

Goodbye koobi
... we had fun, but Apple Repair and the years have not been kind to you... godspeed...

ccsccs7
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 13, 2003, 02:35 AM

Originally posted by bleee:
If you goto an apple store they will probably give you a replacement. But the thing is I recently bought a new battery and I tried to pry the old feet of my old one and stick it on the new because the feet on the new battery is higher than the old ones on my iBook but it was glued on, even when I put the feet back on the the old battery it didn't stay.
I lost the foot from my battery. I got a replacement at the Apple Store. The Genius looked a bit worried about which foot was the right one (I wish I'd had my iBook with me then (or at least the battery) to have made sure I got a match). This foot seemed smaller than the feet at home, but I figured I must simply be seeing it differently.

Well, I took it home and had no idea how to get it on. I even took the remains of the old foot apart, but I did not see how they were compatible. Are the feet different between the batter and the rest of the iBook? Do newer iBooks differ from older iBooks in foot design?
12" Powerbook 1.5GHz/SuperDrive, 1.25GB Ram, 80GB HD, Airport Extreme, Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger
iBook (Late 2001)600MHz/Combo, 640MB RAM, 20GB HD, Airport, Mac OS X 10.3.9 Panther — web server

juusan
Forum Regular
Nov 16, 2003, 12:03 AM

Originally posted by DennyA:
Yeah, an Apple store would be great -- if there was one within 200 miles!

Hey, wait a minute... Here's my excuse to visit Small Dog! They're only about a half-hour from me!
I'm in san francisco and there's still no apple store here
-> 20" iMac Core Duo, 1GB RAM, lame superdrive that burns at 2x
-> MacBook Pro 2GHz Core Duo, 2GB RAM
-> MacBook 2.16GHz Core Duo, 2GB RAM

Forum Links
Forum Rules