Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Canon S9000 / Windows Printing problem on Panther

Canon S9000 / Windows Printing problem on Panther
DennyA
Nov 6, 2003, 02:39 AM

Okay, got my new 12" Apple iBook G4 today running Panther, and everything was reasonably easy to set up. Got it on the net, sharing files back and forth with my XP rigs, etc.

Just one problem: My printer is a Canon S9000 wide-carriage photo printer shared across my network using Windows XP File and Printer Sharing.

I installed the Canon S9000 OS X driver, but it apparently only works for directly connected printers and sharing with other Macs. When I go to set up the printer on "Windows Printing," the only drivers I'm offered are the built-in "CUPS+Gimp-Print" drivers -- the S9000 driver isn't available there. And the CUPS+Gimp Canon drivers don't include the S9000. I tried the S800 and BJC-7200 drivers, and both would output to the printer, but they printed at about quarter-size at draft quality.

Anyone know a solution for getting printouts from a networked iBook on an S9000 connected using Win XP File and Printer Sharing?

Scarpa
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 6, 2003, 02:14 PM

Don't use Windows File and Print sharing but the Print Services for Unix on the PC.

You can access it via add/remove programs in the Windows Components section. It should be under "Other File and Print Services".

DennyA  (op)
Nov 6, 2003, 03:37 PM

Scarpa,

Will that let me use the "standard" Canon driver as opposed to the CUPS driver?

Scarpa
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 6, 2003, 03:43 PM

Originally posted by DennyA:
Will that let me use the "standard" Canon driver as opposed to the CUPS driver?
I'm not sure. What if you choose "Other" from the drop-down menu, can you navigate to where your S9000 drivers were installed?

DennyA  (op)
Nov 6, 2003, 04:04 PM

I can navigate to the directory, but it doesn't have the drivers needed for network printing.

Near as I can tell, IP printing and Windows Printing use the Unix CUPS drivers rather than the stock OS X driver. So you need a CUPS driver that supports your printer. CUPS has support for numerous Canons, but not the S9000, and the other drivers all print at quarter-size on the S9000.

And since I can't find any new CUPS drivers anywhere, it's starting to look like TurboPrint may be the only solution.

DennyA  (op)
Nov 7, 2003, 02:02 AM

Turboprint solved the problem.

BTW, no need to tell Panther users to use Unix/IP printing -- they did fix the Windows Sharing printing. My problem was just not having the right drivers.

capetown
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 25, 2003, 12:11 PM

Does TurboPrint allows all feature of the s9000?

Any limitations?

Would you recommend it?

Thanks

DennyA  (op)
Nov 25, 2003, 02:45 PM

It has a number of settings for different paper types, graphics densities, etc. It's not as sophisticated as Canon's regular driver, though.

I mainly use it for "archival printing" from my iBook -- e-mail, web pages, etc. If I need to print images, etc. I move them over to my XP machine where I have most of my image processing and printing software.

Forum Links
Forum Rules