Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Restore DVD on New Powerbooks

Restore DVD on New Powerbooks
vfib71
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2005, 07:56 PM

Picked up a new 15" 1.67GHz Powerbook and tried to make a back-up copy of the restore DVD so I could have it on the go without the risk of losing my original and was suprised to find that it was a Dual Layer DVD.

Which brings me to the point why don't we have dual Layer on the new Powerbooks? I don't want to sound greedy but with no updates since last April and they give us a new trackpad, 20GB more of HD space, Bluetooth 2.0, 170MHz of speed and a brighter keyboard! You think after all this waiting we could have seen at least a dual layer superdrive to make the upgrade worthwhile. Anyway just my 2 cents.

Oh and by the way the new Powerbooks are indeed sweet but don't see much of a difference from my 15" 1.5GHz which had the 128Mb Video Card and the 5400 HD. I know people are going to ask why a new Powerbook from the 1.5GHz so I'll answer it right now. I have a sickness that I have to have the latest and greatest thing. I have had almost every Powerbook revision released, anyone know of a support group or maybe electric shock therapy to curb this urge?

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2005, 09:20 PM

Originally posted by vfib71:
Picked up a new 15" 1.67GHz Powerbook and tried to make a back-up copy of the restore DVD so I could have it on the go without the risk of losing my original and was suprised to find that it was a Dual Layer DVD.

Which brings me to the point why don't we have dual Layer on the new Powerbooks? I don't want to sound greedy but with no updates since last April and they give us a new trackpad, 20GB more of HD space, Bluetooth 2.0, 170MHz of speed and a brighter keyboard! You think after all this waiting we could have seen at least a dual layer superdrive to make the upgrade worthwhile. Anyway just my 2 cents.

Oh and by the way the new Powerbooks are indeed sweet but don't see much of a difference from my 15" 1.5GHz which had the 128Mb Video Card and the 5400 HD. I know people are going to ask why a new Powerbook from the 1.5GHz so I'll answer it right now. I have a sickness that I have to have the latest and greatest thing. I have had almost every Powerbook revision released, anyone know of a support group or maybe electric shock therapy to curb this urge?

Yeah, it's kinda annoying. I was hoping for dual-layer myself, but I'm still quite happy with it as is!

markponcelet
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 10, 2005, 10:57 PM

Originally posted by vfib71:
I have a sickness that I have to have the latest and greatest thing. I have had almost every Powerbook revision released, anyone know of a support group or maybe electric shock therapy to curb this urge?
Yep. It's called buying a Rev. A powerbook. We'll see how well your early-adopter genes hold up once Apple releases its first G5 powerbook -- a machine so hot it sizzles on your lap.

Mark

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2005, 12:20 AM

I'd rather buy a Dual Layer external burner anyway. They'll be much faster than you find an internal drive for, and you can use it on multiple machines.

jzdziarski
Forum Regular
Feb 11, 2005, 08:48 AM

There are plenty of internal replacement drives you could buy to install in your PB for Dual Layer. I'm still hoping we can find a close model with firmware to load.

wunderkind
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 11, 2005, 09:45 AM

Same here. Toast was almost half-way through copying it (and I was thinking it takes unusually long) when I realized it is a ~6.7GB DVD.

Now I really need to find a DL burner. I do not like an idea of carrying original Restore DVD around.
PB G4 12" 1.5GHz/1.2GB/100GB/SuperDrive/AE/Mac OS X Tiger

porieux
Baninated
Feb 12, 2005, 04:25 AM

What about asking Apple for another Restore DVD?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 12, 2005, 09:46 AM

Originally posted by porieux:
What about asking Apple for another Restore DVD?
I doubt they'll give you that for less than $129.

jamiep
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 12, 2005, 11:42 AM

Just call them up and say that there wasn't one in the box. They'll send you another.

Once I did this when my old Performa 5200CD had to have the CD drive replaced and my Mac OS 8 CD was in the drive � they forgot to remove my disc, and apple sent me a new one no prob.

porieux
Baninated
Feb 12, 2005, 07:10 PM

Originally posted by Simon:
I doubt they'll give you that for less than $129.
You really think so? I doubt that; even if you bought Panther it would not replace the restore DVD.

Just tell them you need a backup. I bet it would be $20.

Forum Links
Forum Rules