Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > My dead 17" Apple LCD part II

My dead 17" Apple LCD part II
2muchcoffee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 25, 2001, 06:19 PM

A couple of weeks ago I mentioned that my not even 6 hour old 17" Studio display crapped out on me. I was reading some email when the screen blacked out. Well, I call Apple and they had me send it back, where it languished for a week until I called this monday. Today I get it back, and...

Jesus H. Christ! The thing looks like they kicked it around the floor. All the acylic is scuffed up around the display and the legs, the plastic on the front of the legs is pushed back (both legs), the glass is all schmutzed up from where the packing rubbed it, there's little bits of stuff inside the case (looks like carboard fluff). I am thoroughly pissed.

And to top it off, the packing list merely says "no problem found".

I'm at work now, but if I get home and plug it in, and it doesn't work...

What is the Apple customer representative phone #?

<effin password>
Jul 26, 2001, 03:05 AM

And of course it doesn't work.

Just a possibility, but could the ADC side of the stock ATI card in the cube be fubar? I've tried unplugging everything, plugging just the display back in, core in, core out, remove extra RAM, zapping the PRAM - nada. A VGA monitor works just dandy, and I can startup and shutdown the Cube via the Studio's control button, I just don't have any picture.

Grrrr.

2muchcoffee  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 26, 2001, 05:15 PM

Well, I did some troubleshooting at a local mac retailer and it seems the ADC port on on the ATI Rage card is kaput. And they agree that Apple royally effed-up my display.

Now if I can get Apple to replace it...

<AppleCello>
Jul 26, 2001, 09:34 PM

let us know what happens. THat totally sucks.

Herr Newton
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 26, 2001, 09:46 PM

Originally posted by 2muchcoffee:
<STRONG>Well, I did some troubleshooting at a local mac retailer and it seems the ADC port on on the ATI Rage card is kaput. And they agree that Apple royally effed-up my display.

Now if I can get Apple to replace it...</STRONG>
How did you ship the display in the first place? UPS? FedEX? US Post? I presume you sent it insured... any damage incurred during shipping---including aesthetic---would be covered by the package insurance. Who knows: Apple might not have damaged the display. The shipping carrier could be at fault. (nudge, nudge)

<2muchcoffee>
Jul 27, 2001, 03:41 AM

I shipped via Fedex using the box provided by Apple (they send one out to return the unit).

Part of the marring issue is how Apple packaged the display - they wrapped it in a poly bag before placing in the foam "skin" - and the rubbing of the poly against the acrylic during shipment did SOME of the damage. The packing form they use is pretty tight (why they don't use the polystyrene case that the monitor originally ships in I haven't a clue. That is a bomber case). And it still doesn't explain the punched in feet or the bits of "stuff" inside the case. Or their lack of follow through on my original problem.

I just fired off a "real" letter to Apple Customer Relations (snailmail), and now that I am somewhat calmed down will call them tomorrow as well. I'll keep y'all posted.

<2muchcoffee>
Aug 3, 2001, 12:12 AM

This is turning into computer service from hell.

On friday morning (the 27th) I get a call from Apple customer relations regarding my complaint via their web form ( I was going to call that day anyway). Of course I'm not in, and one of my employees takes the message. The number is for generic Apple Support, no extension or person to talk to. I try calling, decend into push button hell, get patched through to customer relations, and wait for 10 minutes. I have to leave for a job, so I hang up.

I'm able to call back that afternoon, descend into push button hell again, and after only 5 minutes get a real live human being. He has no idea of what I'm talking about, although I give him my case number etc. "we want to work with you to resolve your problem", and other blah blah blah. "I want my new monitor back" I say, "I want Apple to replace this damaged POS with a new monitor". No comment from "Greg" about evaluating my monitor to get me a new one. "Do you want me to set up a dispatch so we can get this moving?". What does that mean??? No comment. So I get the number, and Greg says they will send out a box.

Jump to this Tuesday. I get home, there is a note on my door from Fedex about attempted delivery, they will try again, and I can pick up the package after 5 pm from their facilities out by the airport ( I live in somewhat rural western Washington state). It's late, I'll do this tommorrow.

Get out to the airport after work on Wednesday (about 7 pm) - they shut at six. ****.

Try again today. This time I get there at 5:30. "Oh, we delivered the package today". What??? Not to me they didn't. "It was signed for by (name that's not mine)". That was not me, I've been at work all day. "Well, it was delivered to (my address), and this is the name that signed". ****.

Go home, no package, of course I don't have any neighbors with the name that signed for it.

So not only do I have to deal with Apple's effin incompetence now, but Fedex's as well

I did send a genuine letter (the kind with a stamp) to Customer Relations last friday. I'm hoping for a more formal response, but with my luck the letter probably wound up in the janitor's office in Cupertino.

2muchcoffee, 2pissedoff

Herr Newton
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 3, 2001, 06:36 PM

Wow. You have crappy luck

Look at it this way: You will now get a new display from the insurance.

Forum Links
Forum Rules