Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Monitor Cord Question

Monitor Cord Question
zeebe
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 27, 2001, 01:20 PM

Hi, I work for a school and we were donated an NEC monitor for some G3 B/Ws we have. I tried to get it to work but no go. I looked at the connector and there is a pin that is broken. Is there anyway to replace this cord or the connector?
Thanks in advance!

Support a charity as you search the Internet - Use GoodSearch - I support Sacred Heart School.

Herr Newton
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 28, 2001, 03:10 AM

Originally posted by zeebe:
<STRONG>Hi, I work for a school and we were donated an NEC monitor for some G3 B/Ws we have. I tried to get it to work but no go. I looked at the connector and there is a pin that is broken. Is there anyway to replace this cord or the connector?
Thanks in advance! </STRONG>
Is the cable removable from the monitor?

zeebe  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 28, 2001, 04:19 PM

No it is not.

Support a charity as you search the Internet - Use GoodSearch - I support Sacred Heart School.

Herr Newton
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 28, 2001, 05:07 PM

<STRONG>No it is not. </STRONG>
Then you'd probably have to have it replaced; since it's a donated monitor, it's probably old and, as such, not worth the labor to fix it. My advice: If there are any used computer shops in your area, see how much they'll give the school for it.

zeebe  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 29, 2001, 04:41 PM

Actually, it looks like it is only 2-3 years old. Nice NEC 17" monitor, how much does it cost to replace cords?

Herr Newton
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 29, 2001, 09:08 PM

<STRONG>Actually, it looks like it is only 2-3 years old. Nice NEC 17" monitor, how much does it cost to replace cords?</STRONG>
Dunno how much they'd charge you... you're just outside the cities so it's not like it's going to be terribly hard to find a computer repair shop The parts will be cheap, but you'll get nailed on the labor. Expect to pay no less than $50... ask your school if they've got a place they work with regularily. A repair like this is actually fairly common and, if there's a prior business relationship, the shop might be nice and give you discounted work.

The repair is really simple, but very deadly if you don't know what you're doing. A CRT acts like a huge capicator, storing up large amounts of electricity. If you accidentally touch the wrong place with one hand, and touch anywhere else with the other, you'd probably end up in the emergency room. I've accidentally bridged the power terminal with one finger while carrying a monitor; the experience is something I won't shortly forget. ('nother reason to buy LCD TFT over a CRT: they aren't likely to electrocute you.)

Forum Links
Forum Rules