Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Future plans to allow temperature readings on newest PB's?

Future plans to allow temperature readings on newest PB's?
spiff72
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 21, 2005, 04:03 PM

Does anyone know if there are any plans from Apple (either in Tiger, or otherwise) to implement the ability to read the various temperature sensors in the current generation PB's (17" 1.67 GHz for example)?

The current state of affairs provides just one-time readings of the temps (like CPU, Power Supply, and Trackpad), and these temps are read at boot time, and stay that way the whole time. I use XR Grapher, and the temps never change as the powerbook is used. Temperature Monitor behaves the same way, and it give you a notice when the program starts that says it found "non-refreshing sensors" (or something like this)...

I wish this thing had the ability to update the temperature readings in "real time"...

Thanks,
Jeff
"Mac Daddy" - 15" MBP, 2.2 GHz Core i7, 8GB, 750GB HDD
"Mommy Mac" - 13" Macbook, 2.4GHz C2D, 2GB, 160GB
"Baby Mac" - 15" PB, 1.5GHz, 1.5GB, 80GB
64GB iPod Touch (4th gen)

betasp
Forum Regular
Apr 21, 2005, 04:14 PM

First I agree with you... but from Apple's perspective....

Why do a bunch of fan boys need to be able to see their Powerbook temps. We are going to get call after call from wannbe engineers about how "my powerbook it too hot" "160 degrees is too hot" "heat is making my powerbook crash." Heck, Cadillac took the engine temp gauges off their cars, why do we need temps to be read by owners.

I do agree with you though. It does help diagnose potential problems, but at the same time I see Apple's perspective.

spiff72  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 21, 2005, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by betasp
First I agree with you... but from Apple's perspective....

Why do a bunch of fan boys need to be able to see their Powerbook temps. We are going to get call after call from wannbe engineers about how "my powerbook it too hot" "160 degrees is too hot" "heat is making my powerbook crash." Heck, Cadillac took the engine temp gauges off their cars, why do we need temps to be read by owners.

I do agree with you though. It does help diagnose potential problems, but at the same time I see Apple's perspective.
So basically they took away the ability of 3rd party apps to access these sensors only on the latest generation of PB's? The previous generation worked OK from what I understand...

I just hoped someone could chime in and verify whether or not Tiger fixes the issue. I am guessing either they can't say, or it simply doesn't make a difference.

Thanks,
Jeff

wunderkind
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 22, 2005, 11:14 PM

ThermographX seems to work on new 12".
PB G4 12" 1.5GHz/1.2GB/100GB/SuperDrive/AE/Mac OS X Tiger

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Apr 22, 2005, 11:21 PM

Chances are that it wasn't "taken away" so much as just the format or API changed such that the readout apps need to be modified.

tooki

spiff72  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 22, 2005, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by wunderkind
ThermographX seems to work on new 12".
Is that 12" the one with the scrolling trackpad? And the temperatures update as you use the PB (not just when you reboot)?

Thanks,
Jeff

spiff72  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 22, 2005, 11:57 PM

Well, I tried ThermographX, and it doesn't work for me under 10.3.9

I guess, once again, that I will just have to wait and see if Tiger makes any difference. I am not holding my breath though.

spiff72  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 23, 2005, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by tooki
Chances are that it wasn't "taken away" so much as just the format or API changed such that the readout apps need to be modified.

tooki
From what I read on the website for Temperature Monitor, the developer suggests that you contact Apple and ask them to make it possible to access the sensors via the OS once again. He made it sound like there is nothing he can do to fix it until Apple makes a change.

Jeff

wunderkind
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 23, 2005, 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by spiff72
Is that 12" the one with the scrolling trackpad? And the temperatures update as you use the PB (not just when you reboot)?

Thanks,
Jeff
yes (see my sig) and yes, all four sensors (HDD bottomside, CPU topside, GPU on die, battery).

spiff72  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 23, 2005, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by wunderkind
yes (see my sig) and yes, all four sensors (HDD bottomside, CPU topside, GPU on die, battery).
That is interesting news...

I don't think I asked this earlier, so I will ask it now...

Are you using Tiger on that PB? If not, I am really surprised (unless there is an architectural/system difference between the 12" and 17" PB's. On panther, I get a totally straight line with the Thermograph program for each sensor. I slept my machine overnight, and the temps are still the same, so it is obviously reading the temps from the last system restart.

Maybe Tiger will help matters.

Oops: I just saw in your Sig that you show OS X 10.3.X (so I guess you don't have Tiger)...

Thanks,
Jeff

wunderkind
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 23, 2005, 10:55 PM

I use Panther. ThermographX was always working fine for me on rev. B 1GHz 12" (10.3.0-10.3.8) and now on rev. D 1.5GHz 12" (10.3.9).

I know for sure that ThermographX works on rev. D 12", since I went through 5 of them (and was using three for at least several days) - due to quality control issues Apple has had in its new manufacturing facility in China.

therobertman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 24, 2005, 10:24 AM

I have a related question. I've just purchased the new 15" and I haven't heard the fan at all yet. Would there be any connection between this fact and the loss of dynamic temperature readings?

spiff72  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 24, 2005, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by therobertman
I have a related question. I've just purchased the new 15" and I haven't heard the fan at all yet. Would there be any connection between this fact and the loss of dynamic temperature readings?
The fans are actually VERY quiet on my 17".

I run the XResource Graph Program, and it does show the 2 fan speeds updating as I use the computer. I am actually slamming the CPU right now with a batch MP3 Encode, and the fans show up in the temperature readout area. The temps don't update, but the fan speed are updating.

However, even with both fans at 2500 rpm, I can't hear them unless i put my ear right my the machine. If the TV wasn't on, I might be able to hear it.

I really would like to know what the temperature is on the machine now. It is keeping "the boys" toasty as I work with it on my lap.

therobertman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 24, 2005, 05:53 PM

Thanks spiff. I'll try XResource out on my 15.

cheers

spiff72  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 24, 2005, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by therobertman
Thanks spiff. I'll try XResource out on my 15.

cheers
Just remember that the readouts for the fans will not show up unless they are actually on. Most of the time they are not there.

Forum Links
Forum Rules