Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > how to find out how many changes left on DVD player

how to find out how many changes left on DVD player
greenguy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 27, 2005, 04:12 AM

Hi all,

A constant browser of MacNN forums - you guys are the best! Read avidly before purchasing my PB. A huge help. First post!

Forgive me if this has been brought up already. Huge movie buff. Play beautifully on my 15" widescreen. Been playing R1 dvd's in my powerbook as well as region free dvd's purchased from ebay. Both types have played fine but am only now aware that there are only 5 region changes allowed on the PB! Getting concerned whether the "region free" dvds are using up my region changes. How do I check how many region changes I have left?

If I have indeed used up all my changes what would you recommend that won't void my warranty? Did a quick search and it seems VPL is used a lot. No voiding the warranty if I use it? My wonderful PB is the 15" superdrive, 1.25 rev.A white spot free and a beauty, running 10.3.8. Drive is MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-816.

Thanks in advance!

JKT
Professional Poster
Apr 27, 2005, 10:36 AM

It's VLC not VPL and no it won't void your warranty at all. Just use it when you are using non-region 1 or region-free DVDs.

When it needs to, you will be prompted by a dialogue to change your region code, so if you haven't seen it, then nothing will have been changed. Also, IIRC, the dialogue tells you how many changes you have left.

greenguy  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 27, 2005, 11:31 AM

Great!

Haven't noticed the dialogue prompt but my better half uses the PB for playing dvds too so might have come up without my realizing. What is IIRC and how do I go about accessing it to check on the amount of changes? Yup, newbie here.

shreddog
Forum Regular
Apr 27, 2005, 11:41 AM

IIRC, means "If I Remember Correctly".
iMac 17 800
12" Powerbook Rev. C
20GB 3rd Gen iPod

wunderkind
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 27, 2005, 12:04 PM

The easiest would be to put in a DVD from a different region (not 1 or region-free), read the dialog box that will say how many changes left and then click "Cancel" = no change made.
PB G4 12" 1.5GHz/1.2GB/100GB/SuperDrive/AE/Mac OS X Tiger

asodamiac
Senior User
Apr 27, 2005, 04:54 PM

whats the point of limiting the region changes? as of now, i think its kind of stupid. then again, i dont know why its there in the first place. anyone?
15" Powerbook G4 | 1.67, 1.5gb, 128VRAM, SD
20" iMac | 2.66, 2gb, HD 2600
Dell 2408WFP

greenguy  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 28, 2005, 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by wunderkind
The easiest would be to put in a DVD from a different region (not 1 or region-free), read the dialog box that will say how many changes left and then click "Cancel" = no change made.
Thanks! Good to know.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Apr 28, 2005, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by asodamiac
whats the point of limiting the region changes? as of now, i think its kind of stupid. then again, i dont know why its there in the first place. anyone?
It's so people don't make millions of pirated disks in china and sell them in the US. Well I guess its also intended for when they have different release dates of movies in different parts of the world. I have seen the dialog once and it tells you how many changes you have left.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

JKT
Professional Poster
Apr 28, 2005, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by asodamiac
To keep the film industry sweet wrt piracy - it is their fault we have to put up with crap like this... and be aware that a certain Mr. Jobs is also the CEO of a certain film production company.

asodamiac
Senior User
Apr 28, 2005, 05:24 PM

hahaha which film production company? pixar? well i guess that makes sense. guess its easier to just use a different app to view dvds then.
15" Powerbook G4 | 1.67, 1.5gb, 128VRAM, SD
20" iMac | 2.66, 2gb, HD 2600
Dell 2408WFP

Forum Links
Forum Rules