Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Safari showing a diamond with a question mark

Safari showing a diamond with a question mark
jasong
Mac Elite
May 20, 2005, 12:42 PM

For some reason, a number of web pages are showing up with a weird symbol instead of apostrophes and quotes. The symbol is a black diamond with a question mark in it. Changing the font doesn't help, nor does changing the default encoding. Same page (with the same font) looks fine in Firefox.

Any ideas?
-- Jason

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 20, 2005, 03:02 PM

For example?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

jasong  (op)
Mac Elite
May 20, 2005, 03:44 PM

Looks like this:

The above text is an amusing Craig's List Best Of
http://boston.craigslist.org/about/b.../71177097.html
-- Jason

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 20, 2005, 03:54 PM

I can't reproduce it. Is your encoding ISO-Latin? That grab looks like Safari is reading it as UTF-8.
Chuck
___

Sir Arthur Dent
May 20, 2005, 04:20 PM

I'm having the same problem. I was coding my website, and thought for a couple weeks that it was a css problem. I haven't found a solution yet.

hoopz
Forum Regular
May 20, 2005, 04:38 PM

I see that in Omniweb 5.1.1. too.

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
May 20, 2005, 04:45 PM

What version of Safari is this happening in?

Kristoff
Mac Elite
May 20, 2005, 04:45 PM

Same here.

It goes away if I select Western (ISO Latin 1), but if left on default, I get diamonds.
signatures are a waste of bandwidth
especially ones with political tripe in them.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 20, 2005, 04:48 PM

If you use HTML entities, I doubt you will run into this problem. I'm fairly convinced this is an encoding problem (e.g. sending a file with extended Mac OS Roman or ISO-Latin-1 characters and having it interpreted as UTF-8).

Or you could ensure that your file is properly UTF-8.
Chuck
___

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
May 20, 2005, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by jasong
For some reason, a number of web pages are showing up with a weird symbol instead of apostrophes and quotes. The symbol is a black diamond with a question mark in it. Changing the font doesn't help, nor does changing the default encoding. Same page (with the same font) looks fine in Firefox.
Like posters here have suggested, that's almost always the result of a web page declares the wrong encoding - like saying it's UTF-8 when it's actually ISO-Latin-1. And since 50% of web pages don't declare any encoding, Safari often has to guess or fall back on UTF-8 (which is what most pages should be using).

Oddly enough, though, the page you pointed out looks fine to me in Safari 2.0.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 20, 2005, 05:18 PM

Haddock, are you saying your default encoding is UTF-8 but the page still displays correctly?
Chuck
___

Apfhex
Mac Elite
May 20, 2005, 10:09 PM

I'm seeing those question marks all over the place right here on the forums! It's only been after upgrading to Tiger/Safari 2.0 as far as I can tell. They seem to be mostly in place of " and ' marks, as well as ellipses and other punctuation (but only sometimes). Goes away when it tell the encoding to be Western ISO Latin 1 instead of Default.
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
May 20, 2005, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by Apfhex
I'm seeing those question marks all over the place right here on the forums! It's only been after upgrading to Tiger/Safari 2.0 as far as I can tell.
No, it's been since this forum has been switched to UTF-8 (see the feedback forum). The old forum entries are still ISO-Latin1 so this forums sends them in another encoding than it declares it does.

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
May 20, 2005, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
Haddock, are you saying your default encoding is UTF-8 but the page still displays correctly?
Yeah. Weird, huh?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 20, 2005, 11:47 PM

That is weird. I figured it worked for me because my default encoding is ISO-Latin-1. I guess Safari is more magical than previously suspected.
Chuck
___

jasong  (op)
Mac Elite
May 21, 2005, 09:39 AM

It was (is) an encoding problem. Something i just learned, even though Safari makes your font selection changes as soon as you make them, the encoding doesn't change until you quit and restart Safari. My encoding was set as Western Mac OS Roman. I tried changing it to ISO Latin 1 and UTF-8 with no changes (because I didn't restart Safari) and assumed that wasn't it and posted here.

So for the record, what should the default encoding for an American english speaker in the northeastern United States be?
-- Jason

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2005, 10:00 AM

So for the record, what should the default encoding for an American english speaker in the northeastern United States be?
Well, "Default".

tooki
Admin Emeritus
May 21, 2005, 10:46 AM

It was (is) an encoding problem. Something i just learned, even though Safari makes your font selection changes as soon as you make them, the encoding doesn't change until you quit and restart Safari. My encoding was set as Western Mac OS Roman. I tried changing it to ISO Latin 1 and UTF-8 with no changes (because I didn't restart Safari) and assumed that wasn't it and posted here.

Not true, the default encoding preference is set immediately. (I just tried.) Remember that switching the default encoding preference will NOT reload pages that have already been loaded. But if you've switched a page's encoding, and switch it back to Default, you'll see the difference. The same if you load it in a new window.

Manually switching an encoding (View->Text Encoding) of a page ALWAYS takes effect immediately.

ISO Latin 1 is probably the best default for you. Most sites that use Unicode are smart enough to correctly declare their text encoding (as we do here on the forums). Most sites that don't declare it are using ISO Latin 1.

tooki

tooki
Admin Emeritus
May 21, 2005, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by TETENAL
Well, "Default".
Well that's a stupid answer, since the question was what to set the default to. It's in Safari's preferences. By default it's ISO Latin 1, which is the best for most people in the Americas, Western Europe and Down Under.

tooki

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2005, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by tooki
Well that's a stupid answer, since the question was what to set the default to.
It's not "a stupid answer". The default setting for the text encoding is called "Default". And that's the setting an American english speaker in the northeastern United States should chose.

Kristoff
Mac Elite
May 21, 2005, 12:30 PM

TETENAL, what are you talking about?

The Default option in the View menu might say "Default" but it is whatever is selected in the Preferences, Appearance, Default Encoding. There is nothing called "Default" there.

jasong  (op)
Mac Elite
May 21, 2005, 02:19 PM

Aha, changing the default encoding via the view menu does take immediate effect (even without reloading the page). However changing it in the preferences window does not (at least not on my machine).

And yes, via the View menu there is a Default option, via Safari preferences (where I was looking), there is not.
-- Jason

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 21, 2005, 02:25 PM

The View menu doesn't change the default encoding; it changes the current encoding.
Chuck
___

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
May 21, 2005, 07:17 PM

I think UTF-8 is best no matter where you live. If everyone used it, there would be no encoding conflicts. And not everyone can use ISO-Latin-1 because it lacks so many characters (even in the Latin alphabet).

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 21, 2005, 07:25 PM

UTF-8 is the best encoding to use if you're making a Web page, certainly. But as a browser default, ISO-Latin-1 makes more sense for an English-speaker because that's what most pages use. Anybody standards-compliant enough to use Unicode will most likely be standards-compliant enough to say so in their header.
Chuck
___

Kristoff
Mac Elite
May 21, 2005, 11:30 PM

Forum Links
Forum Rules