Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Refresh rates?

Refresh rates?
AlanApple
Aug 28, 2001, 07:16 PM

I have just bought a 17" Apple LCD and installed a Radeon card. Tomb Raider TLR now looks much better. Gone is the blocky look and I can now enjoy a smooth game.

Only one small question mark. When I am standing still the image looks great. But when I turn I get a brief shimmer line starting at the top and ending around the middle of the screen (it doesn't last long - in fact I turn, then brief shimmer then normal again). Is this something to do with the refresh rates? How can I solve it?

I tried Quake 3 to see if there might be a problem with the Radeon card or screen but both seem to be okay as the shimmer does not appear with Quake...no matter how much I go round and round.

Let me know what you think.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - Albert Einstein
----------
iMac G5 17", 2GHZ
G4 1 Ghz iBook
Powerbook G3 Firewire
iPod - 5 gig.
iPod Photo

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 29, 2001, 12:55 AM

LCD's do not have refresh rates. So I don't know what the problem could be.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Herr Newton
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 29, 2001, 02:57 AM

It's probably a driver/card thing -- I've got the GeForce 2 with the same LCD panel and Quake 3 doesn't exhibit this behavior.

yukon
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2001, 09:17 PM

is it a shimmer like a degausing on a crt? or more like a blurring due to the slowness of lcd's?

lcd's dont degausse, but the pixels are not updated as fast as they are on crts. The color just changes rather than on/off, and so there won't be real refresh rates in the sense of what we are used to.

I'd check the lcd with another card, to make sure it is the card/drivers. If it is not, phone apple before the warrnaty expires for a new one.
[img]broken link[/img]
This insanity brought to you by:
The French CBC, driving antenna users mad since 1937.

AlanApple  (op)
Sep 4, 2001, 08:41 AM

Originally posted by yukon:
<STRONG>is it a shimmer like a degausing on a crt? or more like a blurring due to the slowness of lcd's?

lcd's dont degausse, but the pixels are not updated as fast as they are on crts. The color just changes rather than on/off, and so there won't be real refresh rates in the sense of what we are used to.

I'd check the lcd with another card, to make sure it is the card/drivers. If it is not, phone apple before the warrnaty expires for a new one.</STRONG>

Yeah it's more like a blurring. Strange thing is it only happens with Tomb Raider TLR. I tried playing Star Trek Elite Force and Quake III Arena and they are both fine - no blurring at all.

Let me know what you think.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - Albert Einstein
----------
iMac G5 17", 2GHZ
G4 1 Ghz iBook
Powerbook G3 Firewire
iPod - 5 gig.
iPod Photo

Forum Links
Forum Rules